LOTR V. The Land of the Mark

A forum for our members to collaborate on scripts adapted from Tolkien's works, patterned on the massive LOTR screenplay authored by ToshoftheWuffingas.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Zounds! :shock:

Yesterday, I caught up on over three months' worth of "episodes", and it felt like the equivalent of not being able to put a book down. :love:

Really, Tosh, this just so impressive to me. I can SEE the story unfolding so clearly in a very different way than I see it while reading the book......your interpretation, your vision, is a wonderful way for me to view "my" familiar tale in a fresh, new way.

I very much like your decision to stay with Frodo and Sam after Parth Galen. It gave me a bit of a jolt at first, but that's a good thing. By following the parallel plots the way you have, it seems that the timelines have become woven together into a more sensible fabric. While not exactly following Tolkien's day-by-day tracking of events in the Appendices, it's close enough that Frodo is starting off from the Crossroads to Cirith Ungol at about the same time that Gandalf is riding with Pippin to Minas Tirith and Aragorn is about to take the Paths of the Dead.

<assumes it's almost time to return to the hobbits and Gollum's betrayal......leaving Sam alone and despairing outside the gate is still one of the best cliffhangers ever> :bawl:

<on second thought, assumes that Tosh will make the right decision, not necessarily based on the above assumption>
:D

BTW, I really liked how you have Aragorn telling Merry about the seeing stones coming with Elendil from Westernesse (changing it from Gandalf speaking to Pippin during their ride to Gondor). This is such an excellent set-up for Aragorn's challenge to Sauron!

Thanks so much, Tosh, for staying with this immense undertaking, and for allowing us the privilege of watching it take shape.
:hug:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

Zounds indeed!
Even I haven't read three months of episodes in one go. :shock: I am always conscious that reading it in this form can be indigestible so break it up into nuggets. Thank you for your kind words, they are very encouraging though I don't mind criticism either.

I am pleased that you find it fresh. One danger is of simply sinking into a recitation of the book and sequences of dialogue can come close to that. I try my best to avoid it but am aware of failures.
I kept with Frodo and Sam after the breaking of the Fellowship to make plain that it was their story which is the core. It gave me the narrative opportunity to present Boromir's death as a shock to both Frodo and the viewer and to make some quick references to the rest of the fellowship before Frodo and Sam carried on their journey. The news of Boromir's death and Frodo's presumption of the loss of the rest of the company, which I elaborate beyond the text of the book, increases his sense of isolation and responsiblity. I leave them for a long while on a note of defiance and hope against the rising darkness as I return to the rest of the company
Although I try to keep roughly to the chronology and am deeply grateful for the calendar of events in the Appendices, I mostly try to interweave the elements for narrative and psychological reasons. The coming of the Dawnless Day is one element that will help the viewer pull the different strands together. I want to present this story for someone who doesn't know what happens next and that gives enormous opportunities for suspense in how I dispose the different narratives.
As for Aragorn and the rhyme of the Seeing-Stones; if I have made changes such as this or smaller ones, you will know that I have thought about them and have a purpose behind them.

As for what comes next, you will have to wait and see! 8)
ToshoftheWuffingas

And here the next episode starts.......

The camera pans as a group of horsemen gallop in the night, moonlight glinting on their spear-tips and helmets. Other brief shots of them follow as the opening credits come up: JRR Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings Episode Twenty – The Paths of the Dead etc. Cut to a grim faced man at their head. The sound of hoofs and harness is loud. Cut to Théoden sitting on his white horse with Aragorn and Merry standing before him with swords drawn Cut to a middle distance view of the score of Rohan Riders in a shallow crescent before Théoden and Éomer well in front alone. Cut to a view from behind Éomer as the troop approaches him with a thunder of hoofs.
Cut to a close-up of Éomer: ‘Halt! Who rides in Rohan?’
Cut to a medium distance view as the troop rein to a halt and the leader dismounts.

He walks forward with his hand raised: ‘Rohan you say? We have ridden far seeking that land in haste.’ A brief cut to Aragorn suddenly looking expectant.
Cut back to the grim man: ’I am Halbarad the Dúnadan. We are Rangers of the North and we seek Aragorn in Rohan.’

Cut to Aragorn who breaks out in a wide grin. He gives his reins to Merry and calls out: ‘You have found him! Halbarad, of all joys!’ Cut to Aragorn running up and clasping the shoulders of the newcomer. Cut to Merry gulping and sheathing his sword. Cut to Aragorn turning his head to shout to the Rohirrim: ‘These are my kin from the North.’ He looks back at Halbarad: ‘How did you know my need? I have thought of you often.’

Halbarad: ‘Elrond knew of your need and sent his sons with us. All we could gather in haste was thirty.’ Two tall Elves walk up in armour, two swords strapped to their backs.

Elrohir: ‘My father sees many things afar and says, “Remember the Paths of the Dead if thou art in haste.”’

Aragorn: ‘Great must be my haste before I take that path.’

Halbarad holds forward a tall black bundled staff: ‘I bring also a gift and a token of hope from the Lady Arwen.’

Aragorn: ‘Bear it for me still Halbarad for the time is not ripe.’

Cut to a distant view of the Deeping Wall and the Hornburg as the first rays of the sun light up the distant snowy peaks behind. Cut to Théoden and Éomer riding up to Gamling standing in the blasted gate of the Hornburg. Braziers and torches provide light in the darkness.
Gamling: ‘Lord, a thousand spears rode to the muster in the night and half as many again will be ready to ride with you today. I will follow you with more and we can still leave the Hornburg garrisoned.
Cut to Aragorn and Halbarad striding along a torchlit passageway. Cut to Aragorn entering a doorway. Halbarad stands grimly on guard outside the door.
Cut to Aragorn sitting at a table. Torches flicker on the walls. Anduril lies unsheathed on the table and beyond it a cloak covers a bulky object. Aragorn stares intently at it. Cut to a close-up of his eyes showing his determination. Cut back and in a single movement he sweeps the cloak back from the crystal globe and with his other hand grasps the hilt of his sword.
A brief cut to a bulky blurred shape move swiftly across the platform of Barad-dûr. Cut to the globe again between the clawed hands and the red reflected eye.

Sauron: ‘Saruman, you come at last. I have orders for you. Why do you hold a Halfling captive? Send it to me at once.’ The globe stays blank. ‘Speak! You are not Saruman. Who are you?’
Suddenly the globe blazes with a vertical line of pure blazing white light that causes the clawed hands to shake and that resolves into a bright shining sword.

We hear Aragorn’s voice: ‘Do you remember this Sauron? Do you remember Narsil? Here it is, reforged again: The Flame of the West!’ The sword goes and we see Aragorn’s shining face bearing a high winged crown.’ I who bear it am the heir of Isildur who cut that which was precious to you from your hand. Isildur, the son of Elendil who thrust Narsil into you. I have come to throw you down again!’ The crystal goes blank.
Cut back to Aragorn in the dark torch-lit room. He stares into the globe as he grips the sides of the table. The red glow on his face goes but he still concentrates. Cut to a close-up of the globe and we see a fleet of black galleys. Cut to a full screen view of the fleet at anchor in a wide estuary. The camera pans to a small burning coastal village. The scene changes back to that seen in the globe. Cut to Aragorn looking up, haggard, grey faced in the morning light and bent with exhaustion.
He speaks softly to himself: ‘Now at last I see my path if I have the strength for it.’
ToshoftheWuffingas

The opening to that episode was somewhat short and this middle section is a bit longer.

Cut to Merry yawning as he sits down at a table and starts to pull plates and food towards him. Sunlight angles steeply down from a slit window. Gimli and Legolas are beside him and grin.

Legolas: ‘Master Sluggard, the sun is at noon. Have you not slept enough?’ Behind them two tall richly dressed Elves walk past talking quietly together. Cut to Théoden entering and sitting down at a small separate table, attendants behind him. He beckons.
Cut to Merry standing before him as Théoden gestures to a seat piled with cushions next to him.

Théoden: ‘Eat and drink with me while you can though this is not as fair as my hall in Edoras. You miss your young friend.’ He gives Merry a kind smile.

Merry: ‘May I? I know I am in everyone’s way but I should like to help if I can.’

Théoden: ‘Then you shall. I have a small hill pony for you. You may ride with me to the weapontake and tell me of your home and its herblore. Your pony will go as fast as a war horse on the mountain paths that we must take. Éomer, do we have gear of war to fit Meriadoc?’

Cut to Éomer giving orders to men as he buckles on his sword belt. He shakes his head: ‘There is no armour or sword here to fit his stature.’

Cut to Merry jumping down from the chair and going on one knee: ‘I have a sword.’ He pulls his blade out and holds it out with both hands to Théoden: ’Receive the sword of Meriadoc of the Shire in your service if you will.’
Cut to Théoden and again his face creases into another smile. He puts his hand on Merry’s curly head: ‘ Rise Meriadoc, esquire of Rohan. Take your sword and bear it to good fortune.’

Cut to Merry, solemnly: ‘As a father you shall be to me.’

Cut back to Théoden, also solemnly: ‘For a little while.’
Cut to a line of men eating along the table. Legolas and Gimli look up and both frown. Cut to Aragorn, ashen faced and stooped, entering the hall, The camera follows him as he walks to Théoden and inclines his head.

Aragorn: ‘I am troubled. I have seen new perils far off. By your leave I and my kindred must ride our own road. We must go swiftly to Dunharrow and take the Paths of the Dead.’ Cut to Éomer looking up suddenly. Cut to Théoden narrowing his eyes.

Théoden: ‘Those paths indeed lie beyond Dunharrow but no living man may take them.’

Cut to Éomer, bewildered: ‘Aragorn, my friend, I hoped we would ride to war together. If you take the Paths of the Dead we shall never meet again under the sun.’

Cut to a grim, drawn Aragorn: ‘But I must take that road. I say to you Éomer that we shall meet again in battle, though all the hosts of Mordor stand between us.’ Cut to the whole group. Merry looks to each of them in confusion. Théoden sits for a moment looking at Aragorn then he rises.

Théoden: ‘I must delay no longer. We take the mountain roads for secrecy. If you will take this path that is your doom and I am weakened by it.’ He goes to leave the hall with Éomer and Merry follows looking back at Aragorn helplessly.
Merry: ‘Goodbye.’
Cut to Aragorn watching their departure as Halbarad then Legolas and Gimli join him.

Aragorn: ‘There go three that I love and the smallest not the least. He knows not to what end he rides yet if he knew he would still go.’

Legolas nods in agreement: ‘Come Aragorn, eat a little and rest. What has happened to you since last night?’

Aragorn, quietly: ‘I looked into the Stone of Orthanc.’

Gimli, whispering: ‘Even Gandalf feared to do that. Did you see…. Did you speak, to Him?’

Cut to Aragorn with little patience in his weariness. He snaps: ‘You forget to whom you speak! I am the lawful owner of the Stone.’ He sees Gimli’s reaction and a humorous glint appears in his eye. ‘What did you fear me to say? That I had an impertinent rascal of a dwarf to exchange for a pair of serviceable orcs? Hm? ‘
He sags and sits on a bench. ‘It was a bitter struggle and in the end I wrenched the Stone to my own will. That alone he will find hard to endure. He knew not that I live and walk the earth. He has not yet forgotten Isildur nor the sword of Elendil that pierced him. He is not so mighty that he is beyond fear.’ Cut to the three standing by Aragorn.

Gimli: ‘He wields a great dominion and now he may strike more swiftly.’

Cut to Aragorn looking up at them: ‘I will no longer wait for him to choose his moves. I will press him and draw his eye outwards. I learned many things in the Stone. The fleet of Umbar rests now at the mouth of the Anduin and will soon be at Pelagir. If no help comes Minas Tirith will be lost within ten days. There is no help to send so I must go myself. And the only way to get through the mountains to the coast is through the Paths of the Dead.’ Cut to the four.

Gimli: ‘What paths are these?’

Cut to Aragorn: ‘In the dark years, the men of the mountains worshipped Sauron. When Isildur first came from Westernesse they swore a great oath to him at the black stone of Erech to renounce Mordor and follow him. But when the Last Alliance between men and Elves was made and Gil-galad the Elven king came, Isildur called on them to march and they refused……’ The scene fades to a vignetted view of Isildur and other wing-helmetted warriors in armour in front of a large spherical black monolith.

Isildur calls out: ‘Even if this war lasts for years uncounted, your craven spirits will never rest. Hide in your barren hills and dwindle but before the end you shall be summoned again to fulfil your oath, even beyond death.’ Cut to a knoll. At its top the men of Westernesse stand by the stone and half circling the knoll is a force of armed men. Cut to a crowned figure on a folding stone looking up coldly, banners and armed men are behind him.
Fade back to Aragorn: ‘Since then the terror of the Sleepless Dead has grown in those hills and they do not suffer the living to pass. Yet I am the heir of Isildur and I will attempt to hold them to their ancient oath.’ Cut back to the four of them.

Legolas: ‘Elves do not fear the spirits of men.’

Gimli: ‘I will follow you to whatever end you go but I hope these spirits of men have not forgotten how to fight in three thousand years.
Cut to Aragorn riding hard out of the shattered gates of the Hornburg. Halbarad rides by his side bearing a tall black-furled staff. As they pass the camera, Elladan and Elrohir, richly dressed follow, then Legolas and Gimli on their horse and then the grey clad company of Rangers. The camera lingers on the dust after they have passed. Fade to a distant view of the company riding fast over open grassland. Fade to the company approaching Edoras with the mountain ranges behind. Fade to the horsemen filing up narrow hairpin bends in a mountainside. Cut to Éowyn standing alone on a meadow in the mountains. She casts a long shadow. Cut to a close-up and her face is full of foreboding.. Cut to Aragorn at the head of the company riding up to her.

Aragorn: ‘Lady, the king has won a mighty victory. The wizard of Orthanc is now a prisoner in his own tower. The king leads a great force here by the mountain paths but in our haste we came by the straight way.’

Cut to Éowyn, eyes shining, replies almost flirtingly: ‘Then it was a kindly deed Lord Aragorn to ride so far out of your way to bring tidings to Éowyn in her exile.’

Cut to Aragorn gravely shaking his head: ‘It is not out of my way Lady. My road leads me to Dunharrow and beyond.’

Cut to Éowyn, doubts forming in her face: ‘No road leads from here.’

Cut to Aragorn: ‘Lady, I am not astray. I walked in these lands before you graced it. There is a road which leads from here and in the morning I shall take it. Tomorrow I shall take the Paths of the Dead.’

Cut to Éowyn, starting to breathe heavily and shaking her head: ‘They do not allow the living to pass. You cannot seek death.’

Cut to Aragorn: ‘They may suffer me to pass. No other road will serve me.’

Cut to Éowyn looking helplessly up as the company ride past. Cut to night-time and Aragorn is about to enter a small tent. He pauses and looks up. Éowyn hurries up to him and puts her hand on his arm.

Éowyn, speaking softly: ‘Lord if you must go, let me ride with you. I am weary of skulking in these hills.’

Aragorn also softly: ‘Lady, your duty is here with your people.’

Éowyn gets gradually more heated as they speak.
Éowyn: ‘I am of the house of Eorl and no longer a nurse for faltering feet. May I not spend my life as I will?’

Aragorn: ‘Few may do that with honour. Another captain could not ride away from your task were he weary of it.’

Éowyn: ‘Must I always stay to find foods and beds when the Riders return?’

Aragorn: ‘A time may come when none return. Then there will be need enough for valour in the last defence of your homes.’

Éowyn, bitterly: ‘All this is to say you are but a woman and your part is to be in the home but when the men have died in battle and need it no more you have leave to be burned in it. I am no mere serving woman. I can wield a blade and fear neither pain nor death.’

Aragorn: ‘What do you fear?’

Cut to Éowyn: ‘A cage. The others only go with thee….. because they love thee.’ Her voice catches and she turns and runs off into the night.
Cut to the first morning light and the horses of the company stamp in the frosty grass and blow out misty breath. Cut to Aragorn and the camera pans as he walks to his horse. Éowyn stands by the horse with a goblet. Cut to a close view of the two. She holds out the goblet to him. Her eyes are swollen and red.

Éowyn, softly: ‘Aragorn, wilt thou still go?’

Aragorn: ‘I will Lady. I count every hour, indeed every minute.’

Éowyn: ‘Then wilt thou let me ride with you as I asked?’

Aragorn: ‘Only the king has that authority and I cannot tarry for him.’

Éowyn looks humiliated and looking down in shame whispers: ‘I beg thee.’

Aragorn gently lifts her chin to look up at him and shakes his head. Cut to him turning abruptly and mounting his horse. He signals and the others follow him as he trots off. Cut to his face as he shakes his head in sorrow.
Cut to Éowyn standing alone and growing smaller as the camera tracks backwards until she is hidden by a rock. Cut to her turning and walking away slowly in dejection. Cut to her face as she walks. Her eyes are empty.
Alys

Post by Alys »

That was fabulous Tosh! I'm really not qualified to offer any sort of critique, but I certainly did enjoy it. :D

In fact, I think I may have to go and read the book again, you've given me such a taste for the story - besides I want to know what happens next! ;)
ToshoftheWuffingas

Thanks Alys, I do try to provide the odd surprise here and there. Thanks to Ophelia as well for her comment elsewhere.
There's a sort of pause in the action at the end of this episode so I will give you a Christmas break and carry on early in January.

Have a peaceful and happy Christmas everyone.

Fade to the Grey Company seen from high above filing through a ravine. We hear the beginnings of an insistent whining wind. Cut to a side view as they ride along a broken rock face. The wind is louder now and one can almost hear voices calling or wailing. Small flows of pebbles trickle down here and there.. Cut to an avenue of tilting tall stones that lead up to a black gaping entrance in a blank cliff. We see again from above the Grey Company filing along the avenue and halting before the entrance. Cut to the entrance formed by three massive monoliths. Thin mists flow from it and cries of pain and grief and despair emerge from it. Cut to the leaders of the Grey Company who all look daunted except for Legolas. One rider in the background is kneeling striking a flint. As the others talk he lights torches and hands them out.

Halbarad: ‘This is an evil place and I see my death beyond it but still I will pass it.’ Aragorn, grim faced, dismounts, pauses, takes a torch and leads his horse in. Cut to Legolas and Gimli as the last of the Grey Company enter the darkness. The calls of fear and wretchedness continue. Legolas is holding his horse’s head and whispering to it. Gimli looks around himself, wide-eyed with fear. Legolas smiles and leads their horse casually into the dark leaving Gimli by himself.

Cut to Gimli, tormented: ‘Here is a thing unheard of! An Elf will go underground and a Dwarf dare not!’ Cut and we see Gimli from within the cave. He pats his axe and tugs his beard and he walks in and the wailing stops abruptly. The shadows fall on him and his dark form fills the screen turning it black.

Cut to Barad-dûr and its roiling clouds that break to show battlements or a tower. Cut to a volcanic slope with twisted larval forms and in the distance the cloudbanks that conceal the Dark Tower. The ground trembles and pieces of twisted rock fall and roll down. We hear deep rumbles. Cut to the topmost crater and red light flickers within it amid more rumbles and tremors. Cut to a narrow twisted road among ashes and lava that snakes up to a small entrance in the side of the volcano. Cut to two resting trolls either end of a black and red palanquin emblazoned with the heraldic Red Eye. Cut to the entrance and red light flickers within it. Cut to a long passageway and at the end the corpulent silhouette of Sauron against a red light. The rumbles and crackles echo and drown out his half-heard chants as he gesticulates with his arms. Cut again to the cone and crater and suddenly a great gout of black smoke and lightning bolts shoot up. Cut to a further view and we see the smoke rise up swiftly in a narrow column. Cut to a view of the plain of Gorgoroth with its massed encampments and the tall column of smoke is spreading out in a canopy. Cut to the canopy edge in the sky spreading outwards in turbulent clouds.
Cut to Théoden on his white horse laughing as he looks down at Merry on a small pony. Merry is chattering away and gesturing. They lead a long file of horsemen between high cliffs. Cut to them emerging from a cleft and the cameara pans around a busy encampment full of men bearing mailshirts on poles, carrying fodder or saddles and harness between spears stacked in thickets. Horses are picketed in long lines. Cut to Merry following some horsemen up a steep track. Cut to a bend and he stares curiously at an eroded ancient statue of a fat cross-legged man. Cut to him coming out on to a field backed by cliffs behind a line of horsemen. Large and small tents and pavilions are dotted around. Cut to Éowyn standing by Théoden’s horse as he dismounts and kisses her on the cheek. Cut to a closer view of the two.

Théoden, softly: ‘Is all well with you?’

Éowyn with eyes still red: ‘Yes, all is well. Aragorn told us the hour of your coming.’ The camera pulls back as Éomer joins them.

Éomer: ‘Is he still here?’

Éowyn turns to hide her face: ‘No. He is gone. He passed into the shadows at dawn. I could not dissuade him.’

Éomer: ‘Then he is lost and our paths are sundered.’ Éowyn hurries away. Éomer is oblivious and only Théoden follows her with his eyes.

Cut to Théoden and his captains at table inside a pavilion hung with rich tapestries. Merry stands near him with a silver ewer.

Théoden: Come Master Meriadoc, sit beside me.’

Merry: Why has Strider, I mean Aragorn taken this Path of the Dead?’

Éomer, glumly. ‘No one can tell his purpose unless he told you.’

Théoden: ‘My heart tells me I shall not see him again.’

Merry: ‘They have all left me. And soon it will be my turn.’

Cut to a fair haired man bringing in a richly dressed dark haired man in through the hangings.

‘A messenger from Gondor, Lord.’

The dark haired man holds out stiffly a red-barbed, black-flighted arrow. He goes down on one knee.
Cut to Théoden and Éomer rising.

Théoden: ‘The Red Arrow has not been seen in all my years. So war has come to Gondor at last?’

Cut to Hirgon the messenger: ‘It is at Minas Tirith that the doom of our time will be decided. If you send aid to us it must come before we are besieged.’

Cut to Théoden: ‘Tell Lord Denethor that the King of the Mark himself will lead six thousand spears to Gondor. But we are new-come from battle ourselves and it is a long road that we cannot ride hard if we wish to have strength to fight at the end of it. It will be at least a week before we are come to Mundburg.’

Cut to Hirgon in dismay: ‘A week? Then you may disturb the orcs from their looting in our streets.’

Cut to Théoden: ‘Then at the least we will do that.’

Cut to a close-up of Merry walking outside talking to himself: ‘I won’t be left behind. I won’t be left. I won’t’

Cut to a dim light and Merry asleep in a small tent. A man’s arm shakes him awake: ‘The King calls for you.’

Merry sits up and rubs his eyes: ‘The sun hasn’t risen yet.’

The man: ‘Nor will She under this cloud but time does not stand still.’
Cut to Merry emerging from the tent and looking up at a brown sky. Others look up too.
The man continues: ‘The cloud came from the East, from Mordor. All last night it ate up the stars.’

Cut to Théoden in his pavilion being armed by squires as men are coming and going. Merry walks up and stands expectant before him.

Théoden: ‘So we come to it: the great battle of our time. At least we can travel by the shorter way now this murk hides our movement. In a little while we must take the road and I now release you from my service.’

Merry: ‘But, but I offered you my sword. All my friends have gone to battle. I shall be shamed to stay behind.’

Théoden is kind but firm: ‘You cannot ride a high war-horse or slow down an armoured warrior by riding with him. It is three hundred miles to Mundburg. You have a great heart but what could you do on the battle-field. I will say no more.’
Théoden turns and leaves. Merry stands and the camera moves around him to his face. He blinks back tears.

Éowyn comes up behind him: ‘Lord Aragorn bid me have you armed for battle. I have a small helmet and a thick leather coat and a small shield prepared for you Master Holbytlan. I know you wish to follow the king. I will find a young Rider to bear you but say nothing of it to anyone.’
Cut to Merry outside in the gloom armed with shield and helmet and looking awkward.

Out of the shadows a horseman rides up: ‘I have come to bear you to battle. I am Dernhelm. Are you ready to ride to your death?’
Merry nods and an arm stretches down and lifts Merry to sit behind him. The horse rides into the darkness.
Cut to the long line of the Rohirrim half seen in the dark and the sound of all their horses. Cut to Théoden in front riding with Éomer, the banners of the Mark flying behind them.
A slow fade to black and the closing credits as we hear:

‘Forth rode the King, fear behind him,
Fate before him. Fealty kept he;
Oaths he had taken, all fulfilled them.
Forth rode Théoden. Five nights and days
East and onward rode the Eorlingas.
Six thousand spears to Sunlending,
Mundburg the Mighty under Mindolluin,
Sea-king’s city in the South-kingdom
Foe beleagured, fire encircled.
Doom drove them on. Darkness took them
Horse and horsemen; hoofbeats afar
Sank into silence; so the songs tell us.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Tosh, your ending gave me chills. :love:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Aw, Tosh.

You actually included one of my favourite poems from the book.

I :love: alliterative verse.

And I very much like your intro. of Dernhelm.....a great interpretation of the book.

"Are you ready to ride to your death?"............how dark and chilling!

Thanks, as always....and a peaceful and happy Christmas to you, as well. :hug:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi