Whom do you admire?

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Mozart. Hello a deaf composer who made awesome music.
Mozart made awesome music, but he wasn't deaf. That was Beethoven. ;)

And if you think that is all Clinton did in his 8 years as president, you might want to do a bit more research. I'm just sayin.'
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

themary
Prettiest City I know!

Post by themary »

I'm such a moron!!! :rofl:

Jewel: Clinton didn't impress me that's all I'm sayin'.
...the embers never fade in your city by the lake

The place where you were born
PrinceAlarming
Interferes With Natural Selection

Post by PrinceAlarming »

Einstein I admire a lot... A humble patent clerk turned scientist galore. He had the balls the think differently...

I admire a lot of scientists. Galileo, Marie Curie, Pasteur...

The Wright Brothers...

I do admire Henry Ford... Although his goal may have been purely to gain capital, his introduction of the assembly line gave people jobs and allowed people other than the rich to have automobiles.

I like industrious people with new ideas.

Clinton was a good president. Yes, the economy was naturally on an upswing, but he recognized that and supported it. If the economy were booming with Bush in the office, he would squander it on more security programs and warfare. I also respect Clinton's kinkyness... That's kinda' progressive, if not utterly disgusting.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Going back to the old list...

1. Mother Teresa Quite a bit
2. Martin Luther King, Jr. What a man
3. John F. Kennedy see above
4. Albert Einstein :bow:
5. Helen Keller Hmmm... not really
6. Franklin D. Roosevelt A wee bit.
7. Billy Graham Who?
8. Pope John Paul II A small bit
9. Eleanor Roosevelt Lots an' lots.
10. Winston Churchill See above
11. Dwight Eisenhower Hmmm...
12. Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Who?
13. Mahatma Gandhi A super super person
14. Nelson Mandela *waves flag*
15. Ronald Reagan Mmmm...
16. Henry Ford He's responsible for most of the pollution!
17. Bill Clinton Dunno really.
18. Margaret Thatcher YAAAAY!

I admire lots of people throughout history.
John Cleese. All the pythons in fact.
My Chemistry Teacher.
Bishop Michael Burrows.
Archbishop Rowan Williams.
Several others who I cannot think of right this instant...
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Too little, too late:

I admire Cydney Mizell.

I knew her in junior high and high school. She played the viola, too, and we were stand partners in orchestra much of the time. She was a tall, calm girl with a broad smile and bright eyes. Quiet and un-showy, but deeply intelligent and musically talented. She was one of those people who stood up for what they believed in, even in the poisonous atmosphere that sometimes prevailed in that particular school. We were friends but not close, and when we graduated we went our own ways.

I heard about her again from a classmate this weekend.

Cyd went to Afghanistan three years ago, to work for the Asian Rural Life Foundation, teaching English at a high school in Kandahar, and embroidery lessons at a school for girls. She spoke fluent Pashtun and wore a burka in public, but it wasn't enough. A month ago she and her driver were kidnapped, and this weekend the foundation she worked for is reporting that it appears they're dead.

Link

Cyd put helping people in need ahead of her own safety—particularly helping women, in a country where that can be deadly dangerous. The world needs more people with that kind of courage. :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh, Prim! This is just... there aren't words. :hug: So sorry about your friend. She was an amazing woman. :(
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
PrinceAlarming
Interferes With Natural Selection

Post by PrinceAlarming »

Primula Baggins wrote: Cyd put helping people in need ahead of her own safety—particularly helping women, in a country where that can be deadly dangerous. The world needs more people with that kind of courage. :(
That is courage... Wow, Prim, I am saddened by your story... No words indeed.

If only all of us had the conviction and courage to extend and push ourselves to benefit those less fortunate than us.