Tom Cruise is the what now?

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Tosh - :D

As for Tom Cruise being a good actor, I dislike watching movies where I'm constantly aware of the fact that The Actor Is Acting In This Movie. Tom Cruise is one of the actors that I feel can never blend into his role. Brad Pitt is another. Harrison Ford is a guy who disappears into the role, for me.

That's the main reason why I don't watch Tom Cruise movies anymore. He remains Tom Cruise Playing A Character. Part of the reason why that happens is because I am reminded of his Scientology silliness every time I see his mug on camera. Not to mention the stories of how touchy he is about his "height". :P
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

Not to mention the stories of how touchy he is about his "height".
He could play Frodo in my mini series.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Tom Cruise? As Frodo?

:rage:

I don't think Frodo needs to be played by a saint, but he needs to be played by someone with innate modesty and the ability to project quiet determination. That isn't Cruise.

Heightwise, though, he's about perfect; instead of using tricks and forced perspective, you'd simply have to not use them. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
ToshoftheWuffingas

I think he has the stature for the role. ;)
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

I guess being born as Tom Cruise Mapother IV and then growing up to be 5 feet 7 constantly puts you in conflict between your name, which sounds all dynasty like ( Mapother, though? ) and your less than regal size. Or something!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Primula Baggins wrote:Tom Cruise? As Frodo?

:rage:

I don't think Frodo needs to be played by a saint, but he needs to be played by someone with innate modesty and the ability to project quiet determination. That isn't Cruise.

Heightwise, though, he's about perfect; instead of using tricks and forced perspective, you'd simply have to not use them. :P

Sorry Prim but I have to disagree with you there. Not that I think Cruise could play Frodo, but that an actor needs to have anything innate to play a role. Thats why its called acting. You inhabit someone else's persona. I hope you don't feel that I cannot play the part of a murderous barber without having killed someone first.

Its acting. Acting!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You're right, Alatar. I guess the way I should have phrased it is that Cruise has an innate boastfulness that is wrong for Frodo, and that he is not enough of an actor to overcome it.

I was thinking specifically of Elijah Wood, who does have (or did have) "innate modesty" that I think helped him in the role. But he was only a teenager at the time. Certainly a good, experienced actor ought to be able to act that without being it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Oh sure. Tom Cruise as Frodo. Next thing you know, they'll cast Mel Gibson as Aragorn and Lindsay Lohan as Arwen. :roll:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

WampusCat wrote:Oh sure. Tom Cruise as Frodo. Next thing you know, they'll cast Mel Gibson as Aragorn and Lindsay Lohan as Arwen. :roll:
Yes, and they can have Schwartzenegger as Boromir. He can shout, "I'll be back!" as they push him over Rauros.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

10 more brain cells and Cruise will qualify as a courgette.
It's about time.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Griffon64 wrote:Not to mention the stories of how touchy he is about his "height".
Touchy about his height? If that were the case why on Earth would he marry a woman who is 5'10" (Nicole Kidman), divorce her, then marry a woman who is 5'8" (Kate Holmes). :?

I'm 5'6", and it has only recently dawned on me how short I actually am compared to most people. (I guess it really hit me at the San Francsico moot. :P ). I guess I was a bit like Gimli, about whom JRD said his portrayal was of someone who didn't realize he is short. Anyway, I'm not touchy about my height, but even I had the good sense to marry someone shorter than I. (Goldberry is just a shade under 5'4".) :D
Alatar wrote:I hope you don't feel that I cannot play the part of a murderous barber without having killed someone first.
Or a carnivorous, human-eating plant. ;)
Griffon64 wrote:I guess being born as Tom Cruise Mapother IV and then growing up to be 5 feet 7 constantly puts you in conflict between your name, which sounds all dynasty like ( Mapother, though? ) and your less than regal size. Or something!
I don't know, Griff. Johannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart, aka Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, was reportedly very short. Napoleone di Buonaparte, aka Napoléon Bonaparte, was also said to be a short man. We know for a fact that Prince Rogers Nelson, aka Prince, The Artist Formerly Known as Prince, Tafkap, or simply The Artist, is only 5'2". :P
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

And Paul Simon's only 5'3". I'm sure of it. The time I hugged him, we were eye to eye. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Prince was late to the Golden Globe awards the other night and couldn't be there to accept the one he won—so the presenter ducked down behind the mike, shortening himself by a foot, and said, "I accept this award for Prince."

Wampus, you got to hug Paul Simon? You lucky!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

What Prince lacks in height he more then makes up in both talent and eccentricity.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Wow, if eccentricity makes people taller, I bet HoFers are, like, 7+ feet average!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

True that.

:salmon: anyway.
ToshoftheWuffingas

Yes, and they can have Schwartzenegger as Boromir.
In my alternative blockbuster Hollywood casting I had him as Treebeard.

'Tell me, do you think I could play a wooden character?'
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

yovargas wrote:Wow, if eccentricity makes people taller, I bet HoFers are, like, 7+ feet average!

As they say in my shtetl, from your mouth to God's ear!
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I agree with Griffon, Tom Cruise is always Tom Cruise.

He was LOVELY in "Risky Business", though.

Downhill ever since. :D
Dig deeper.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I agree with Vison here.

And Tom could be the anti-christ...you never know. He does meet some of the criteria.