Let's reschedule Christmas

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Let's reschedule Christmas

Post by WampusCat »

Christmas has been lost as a religious holiday.

Rather than fight the inevitable, I think those of us who still want to celebrate the birth of Christ should move our feast day to another time of year and leave Dec. 25 to Santa, Rudolph and Wal-Mart.

Rename the current Christmas as Giftday or Obscene Excess Day and be done with it.

Perhaps in the quiet of late-January, we can light a candle and sing a carol and -- gasp! -- even have a church service to remember the baby in the manger.

Thoughts?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Mr. Prim just showed me an article saying that some of the mega-churches have canceled services on Sunday, Dec. 25, in order to be "family-friendly." So it may already have begun.

:scratch: I know you're being ironic, Wampuskitty, but in fact I could never give up on Christmas. Growing up in a pastor's family as I did, there was never much risk that I wouldn't see Christmas as a church festival first. Though there was a benefit: because there was always a church service on Christmas morning (Sunday or not), we opened our presents on Christmas Eve, between the candlelight services. (Additional side benefit: no one ever tried to make us believe in Santa Claus. ;) )

It's harder now to insulate oneself from the evils that Madison Avenue and its workers like Whistler ;) are spreading so assiduously; but the peace of Christmas is still there. I find it especially present in the services after Christmas, when the secular world has moved on, but the church lingers, pondering the miracle for twelve more days.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I'm sorry! My family will starve if I don't do it!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That's what they all say! :twisted:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Sister Magpie

Post by Sister Magpie »

Christ was allegedly born in something like March anyway, wasn't he? Perhaps something to do with how shepherds tend their flocks at that time or something? It was put on December 25 because there was a Roman holiday on that day and they were trying to make everyone switch over to Christianity.

Personally--like I think I said somewhere else--I just don't find Christmas that commercial. I *see* the commercials obviously, but I don't feel pressured to go to Wal*Mart. It's nice to give things to a small group of people that you care about, I think, without the pressure of having to get people something expensive. I think it's an excellent holiday for Santa, decorating evergreens and wreaths, putting up holly--all I assume because the Winter Solstice is around this time. So yeah, to me Santa and Rudolph are all excellent parts of it.:) And Christmas specials--hey, Charlie Brown has been lamenting commercialization since something like 1966!

I also think it's a fits well with the story of Jesus' birth as a gift to the world, Salvation, renewal of life, child of hope. But yeah, I think the holiday has always had other things to it as well. The Puritans banned it, I believe, for years in America. In terms of Christianity it seems like Easter is the most important holiday. I don't know when Jesus' birthday started to be celebrated, but I'd guess it was long after his death. Only the later gospels even include the story of a miraculous birth, right? I admit I'm a sucker for stories of people doing nice things for each other on Christmas, and many "It's a Christmas Miracle!" stories. :D

That's not to say I am actually saying Christmas should be given up by anyone--from my own experience it's still a very religious holiday for many many people, and even those who aren't attaching it to a particular religion seem to understand that it's not just about material things at all (okay, maybe a few kids who want a good load of toys, but they're kids). That's the great thing about Christmas, to me, is that it really just isn't ever separated from higher ideas about peace on earth and good will towards men and all that.
Rename the current Christmas as Giftday or Obscene Excess Day and be done with it.
I like Yule myself.

-m
"Brooding over quirks of mad Creation,
And puppets' dreams."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

At one time my former boss, who was a very religious baptist, made what I thought was an excellent suggestion. The national holidays (in U.S., she had no plans for world domination ;) ) should all be secular, and include Independence Day, New Year, Labor Day, President's Day and Thanksgiving*. Religious holidays should be celebrated by religious people in public or private as desired.

That way the stores could have their New Year sales, which go perfectly well with flying reindeer, candy canes, and Frosty the snowman. And observant Christians could dedicate the Christmas day to religious observance.

I wonder how observant Christians on this board feel about it? I hope I do not offend by bringing it up. It made sense to me. There are days when it really sucks being a religious minority, but it would be even worse to see a Rosh Ha-Shannah barbecue sale.

* I know some people consider Thanksgiving a religious holiday, but it celebrates a historical event and giving thanks cuts across all faiths and traditions.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Actually, there are plenty of people in the world who set aside December 25 as a solely religious holiday and have another day as a gift-giving day. I am thinking of December 6 (Santa Lucia?) and also Three Kings Day (January 6) which is HUGE in many Hispanic cultures.

There are supposed to be 12 Days of Christmas - from December 25 through the Epiphany on January 6. Some families give a gift each day.

No one is making you go out in a mad rush and buy, buy, buy, spend, spend, spend. You don't have to do that to have a wonderful, meaningful Christmas. I shop throughout the year - when I see something that I know someone in my family would like, I get it and put it away in the "Christmas closet." Usually I am all set by Thanksgiving! That way I can enjoy the holiday season, which I love - the music and the lights and the special services and concerts. I love certain movies - "Miracle on 34th Street" and the original "Grinch" and "Christmas Carol" and I love to do the Advent log (yes, we have a log instead of a wreath - long story! :) ) and I love to throw lights up outside and bake nut bread. (It's the only time of year I bake!)

I don't think we need to change the date of Christmas. I think we need to change our own behavior. Decide what you like about the holiday and then - do that! Don't feel obligated to bake if you hate it. Don't feel like you must send everyone a card, or rush to the mall or...whatever stresses you out.

A long time ago, a baby was born. His life changed many things in the world and in our culture. The celebration of his birth now coincides with a whole bunch of other things - the Solstice, the New Year, the minor festival of Hannukah and (sometimes) the Muslim observation of Ramadan. It's all good. We give gifts because the Astrologers of old brought gifts to the baby and also because it's fun to give presents to those we love. If buying "things" is making you feel crass, give the gift of time. Go visit a nursing home or someone who can't get out. Offer to make a meal or clean the house. Give of yourself.

You can't go wrong.

And...Merry Christmas to all... :D
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I think Christmas should be celebrated in the spring. And I agree that its our behavior that has made the holiday what it is.

Maybe Festivus for the Rest of us in the place for all the stuff in December.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, I will always find meaning in the present timing of Christmas because it's near the solstice: the birth of light in the darkest time of the year. :)
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Padme wrote:I think Christmas should be celebrated in the spring.
Nah. Easter's in the spring, when everything comes back to life.

Christmas is in the winter, when we need light in the darkness.

It's all very symbolic, I suppose. But I suggest that if people don't like how Christmas has been commercialized...well, then - don't do that stuff! Do your own Christmas. (or, not!)

Or celebrate the Solstice. Or the New Year. Or...whatever.

:D
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Yes, there is a lot that is admirable about Christmas as it is currently celebrated. There is still that undercurrent of peace and goodwill. And many people, myself included, still love it for its spiritual meaning.

I'm just a little discouraged -- in a bah humbugish sort of way -- that so much of the religious aspect has been buried. For example, I picked up a booklet intended for carolers, and every song was of the "Jingle Bells"/"Jolly Old St. Nicholas"/"All I Want for Christmas"/"Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" ilk. Not a single one was pointing toward the Christ child. No "Silent Night" or "Joy to the World" or "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" or "Angels We Have Heard on High" or "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" ... not one.

I am not one of those who gets bent out of shape at people (or stores) who say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." I don't think Christmas should be forced on anyone, especially not the religious aspect. I also see nothing wrong with the whole Santa thing, much less think that it should be banned. There's obviously a need for the holiday that Christmas has become.

So what bugs me? I guess it's just that the prevailing message these days is that "Silent Night" is unnecessary as long as you can belt out a hearty verse of "Up on the Rooftop." Something's lost.

Or maybe I'm just turning into one of those cranky old people. :D
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Padme wrote:Maybe Festivus for the Rest of us in the place for all the stuff in December.
:rofl: I am so glad you mentioned that!! I totally agree. Forget the Christmas tree, we should all hang around the metal pole :D.

Concerning Christmas, I know it has become commercialized, but I still see it as more of a personal than a commercial holiday. Yes, some people only care about buying and receiving gifts, and stores always make a huge deal out of the commercial aspect. But I think most people still appreciate Christmas for their own family traditions, and, most importantly, the birth of Christ. And true Christians celebrate Christ every day of their lives. Christmas seems to have become more of a time for love and tradition, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Just my two cents. :)
Sister Magpie

Post by Sister Magpie »

WampusCat wrote:So what bugs me? I guess it's just that the prevailing message these days is that "Silent Night" is unnecessary as long as you can belt out a hearty verse of "Up on the Rooftop." Something's lost.

Or maybe I'm just turning into one of those cranky old people. :D
Well, that's bound to make you cranky. Yuck. I think mostly all my favorite Christmas Carols are religious--God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Angels we Have Heard On High, and especially Silent Night. Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer just isn't in the same league.

Some secular songs are, but they generally still give a different feeling. The music tends to fit the subject matter, I guess.

-m
"Brooding over quirks of mad Creation,
And puppets' dreams."
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

I love Christmas.

I love the image of a newborn baby being loved by his parents, of how all the world kneels, quiet and gentle and reverent, at the wonder of a new life, perfect and untainted.

I love the power and mystery of birth and the hope of light returning.

I love the idea of something fresh and new and pure and miraculous bursting into the darkness.

I love the glory of songs of true faith and thousands upon thousands of twinkling lights reflected in snow or frost or rain-slicked sidewalks and streets.

I love the smell of pine and fir, the fragrances of the woods alive in my house.

I love the ritual of finding places for small personal treasures each endowed with significance, each a symbol of memory. I love the meditation of their meaning and the touch of their familiar forms.

I love how Christmas makes me feel - truly feel - that there is hope and goodness and "high beauty" beyond any shadow. I love how it makes me feel like Sam.

I love Christmas.

:love:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I love Arthrabeth's Christmas!

"Joy!" cried the sign in a neon blaze,
The letters glowed in a twisting maze.
Its radiant stream washed away the night
And drowned its observers in pools of light.
"Just think of what it cost!" said one
"And take a look at all they've done:
The candles, the wreath, the tree over here --
What spirit they show this time of year!"
Another agreed, "Yes, there's no doubt
They've found what Christmas is all about.
Why, our display of the manger scene
Looks pale in the light of its crimson sheen."

But off in the shadows, apart from the sign,
A boy sat alone with his back to a pine.
The tree held no tinsel, its branches no snow,
Yet stars shone above with a heavenly glow.
His soul was released through the gates of his eyes
And danced with the wonders he found in the skies.

"Joy!" cried the sign in its neon blaze.
The letters glowed in a twisting maze.
"Joy!" the child whispered, the stars in his mind,
But the sign hid the stars from the ones it made blind.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I love both your Christmases.
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior

Post by SilverScribe »

JewelSong wrote:No one is making you go out in a mad rush and buy, buy, buy, spend, spend, spend. You don't have to do that to have a wonderful, meaningful Christmas. I shop throughout the year - when I see something that I know someone in my family would like, I get it and put it away in the "Christmas closet." Usually I am all set by Thanksgiving!
JewelSong, will you marry me? :D:D

I used to do the very same thing. Then I had the unmitigated gall to marry a Baptist and my very Catholic (but as I found out, hardly 'Christian' . . .) family slammed the door in my face. My poor hubby's family is all back in Ontario, so for many, many years Christmas was a very small affair, unless we flew back east, which we did until we just couldn't afford it any more.

It's better now, but my hubby and I have made a very conscious effort in the last few years to 'lighten up' in the "stuff" department. We just don't need any more stuff. I mean, how much stuff can one person possibly use? I'm not a knick-knack person, I don't want crystal sculptures or porcelain figures or nifty silk flower arrangements in large, trendy jars. I can only wear one or two bathrobes/scarves/hats or one or two pairs of mittens/earmuffs/slippers during any one year. I don't need any more dishes/serving sets/pots/pans/tablecloths/table runners or kitchen appliances. Well, we could use a decent set of wine glasses, but that's another tale . . . ;)

Quite simply, we have decided that we have enough of everything necessary to be comfortable, we just don't "need" anything else. So we have switched our gift giving to "consumables". We scour the deli shelves of our local SuperStore and dig out unusual or just favoured 'things to eat and share'. I splurge on a very nice (read pricey) bottle of Single Malt for hubby, and he usually does the same for me. I put together gift baskets for my family too, filled with delicious little noshy things that I know they'd never buy for themselves, but that might make the holidays a bit of a treat . . .

I have come to ignore the Santa/Jingle Bells/Mega Presents madness. I smile and say "God Bless ya darlin' " to the Salvation Army rep when I stuff my donation in her little plastic ball, hum Christmas hymns to myself as I do what little shopping I still do, try to be patient at the long lineups, smile at the harried mother of four that accidentally treads on my toes, and say "no problem" to the rude young man that nearly knocks me off my feet as he rushes to get ahead of me at the checkout.

Somehow, "peace to men of goodwill" still matters to me, no matter what the commercial folks have made of this holiday . . .

:D:D:D
~.~
Actions speak louder than words, but on a messageboard, "you are what you type . . ."
~.~
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song

Till ringing, singing on its way
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime

Then from each black, accursed mouth
The cannon thundered in the South,
And with the sound the carols drowned

It was as if an earthquake rent
The hearth-stones of a continent,
And made forlorn, the households born

And in despair I bowed my head
“There is no peace on earth,” I said,
“For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.”

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Historical Note: This hymn was writ­ten dur­ing the Amer­i­can civil war, as re­flect­ed by the sense of des­pair in the next to last stan­za. Stan­zas 4-5 speak of the bat­tle, and are usual­ly omitted from hymnals.

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

One of my earliest Christmas memories is of being the "H" in a group of children holding up large gilt and red letters spelling "Merry Christmas". This was the Christmas I was 6, and in grade one.

I went to a two room school, and there were about 45 or 50 students in 8 grades. The floors were oiled wood and the desks were the kind that were linked together on wooden tracks nailed to the floor. Every desk was old, with bits of carved graffiti on top and gum stuck beneath, every inkwell was full of black ink.

We had no stage, so the performance was at the front of the "little grades" classroom. We, the performers, awaited our turn in the cloakroom. I remember how odd it seemed, to be in the familiar cloakroom at night, and how thrilling and exciting it had been to walk into the school in the winter darkness along the road from where Dad had parked the car. My Mum and Dad were sitting out in the desks, which was funny in itself, and my little sister Lindy was with them, and my toddler brother Johnny. Mum was, I now know, pregnant with my brother Jim. Mum wore her good red coat, and had taken off her boots and put on her high-heeled shoes. She was wearing her hat, a pretty red hat with a feather that swept across her forehead and gave her an air of indescribable elegance in my eyes. Dad had on a jacket and tie, and his unruly black hair was slicked down with Brylcreem. I loved the smell of Brylcreem.

I was still little enough to think my Mum and Dad were the best people in the world, my mother was so pretty and my dad so handsome. I hadn't yet got to the stage kids get to where they think their parents are weird and should be hidden in a cupboard somewhere. I felt a little sorry for my friend Sharon whose Dad was quite bald, and for my friend Kathy whose Mum always wore slacks! Slacks.....and to a social event.

We had rushed through the barn chores to get to the school on time, and so had all the other families, I suppose. We had a couple of Chinese kids in our school, and there were the Chinese mums and dads, sitting together, and there was old Mrs. Saba Singh, whose son George was in my grade and whose older boy with his dreadfully scarred face hung out at the back of the room with the big boys, the ones with "caulked" boots like loggers. Those boots were strictly against the rules, they tore up the wooden floors, but these big boys didn't go to that school any more. Some of them had finished grade 8 and were out working.

This seems to be a description of times a very long time ago, and it was a long time ago. 55 years this Christmas!

There was a tree, which we little graders had decorated with our handmade ornaments. There were no lights on the tree. This was in the day of light-strings where if one bulb went out they all went out and I guess the teacher didn't want to bother tangling with that problem!

My turn came to speak my speech and I got through it well, bringing enormous credit upon my family, and then there was the "play", a very truncated version of The Night Before Christmas. Mr. Fallowfield, the janitor, did his turn as Santa, although we didn't know who it was. We were all given a candy cane and an orange, even the little ones who didn't go to school yet. My sister Lindy clung to my hand while I showed her around the room, she was so impressed with my sophistication!

I don't know, really, what could make this memory more precious and special to me. I recall a nativity scene. We sang "Silent Night", and "Adeste Fidelis". "The First Noel", which had that hard part, where your voice had to go down, and I never could. There was this lovely sense of family and neighbourliness, people shaking hands and saying "Merry Christmas" as we left the school. This was a white Christmas, there were quite a few snowy winters here in the 50's, so it's not just my faulty and sentimental memory. I remember Dad's old car slipping and sliding on the hill going home, but we made it. My sister and I were always told to sing in the back seat, it kept us from fighting. We sang, Let the Sunshine In (face it with a grin, smilers never lose, and frowners never win). We sang, You are my Sunshine, and The Red River Valley. I don't remember that we sang any Christmas songs that night, maybe Lindy didn't know any yet.

Our own Christmas at home was never very lavish. My folks were not well off when I was a child. We usually had Christmas dinner with my grandparents, who lived next door, and the aunts and uncles were there, and we had a general riotous good time with all the cousins. My grandpa's house was there until recently and I was always surprised again when I saw how small it was!

We knew the McKays down the road would go to midnight mass, and we had NO clue what that meant. We envied the McKay kids, they got every Wednesday afternoon out of school to go to "catechism", and we had no clue what that was either. I never found out what the Chinese kids thought of it all, or the Singh boys. If I see George at the next reunion, I'll ask him.

Every Christmas of my life I've spent with my family. I've been so fortunate to live all my life so close to my Mum and my Dad. My Dad is gone now, but this Christmas my Mum will come to my house with my youngest sister and we'll sit down a gang to dinner. We "do" the presents after dinner. We play board games. My brother John will get up, about an hour after dinner, and make himself a peanut butter sandwich. There are only two little kids now, my grandsons, and of course everyone "spoils" them. My Mum will get tears in her eyes and then be ashamed of them, something which drives me nuts. Mum! Not all tears are an evil.

Our Christmases are always about the family, and that's enough "spirituality" for us, I guess. We're pretty common people. We like our turkey and stuffing and the presents, and the stupid, stupid jokes that come inside the crackers. We make each other wear the silly hats, mine should look charmingly on my stubbled head! Our friend from Venezuela will laugh at us, and tease the kids into saying "Gracias" and "por favor", and they'll forget again the minute he's out the door.

Christmas is what you make of it. You can be worn down by the Mall, and the incessant advertising, and the greed. You can get cranky with over-stressed sales clerks, and you can wonder what the point of it all is. Or you can be like a little kid, it's still magic to a little kid. There is still that sense of mystery. My son used to try to explain how when you crinkled your eyes up, "rays" would shoot out of the lights on the tree.

I love Christmas. This year is going to be pretty quiet, compared to some years. We have some heartaches, some griefs, that will colour the lights a little duller, maybe. But those two little boys will still creep out quietly in the morning and plug in the tree lights and open their stockings before knocking on our bedroom door. The stockings are one of the few things that they have from their mum, she made them the Christmas before she died. At their Christmas concert the other night, I saw everything through a mist of tears, wishing, wishing that I could believe she can see them. How proud she would be of her boys, beautiful children that they are. How much they deserve a good Christmas, and how wonderful for me and my husband that we can try to give them that.
Dig deeper.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Thank you, vison, for that beautiful description. :hug: