Quan Yin, Boddhisattva of Compassion

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

If you show compassion to a merciless man, you will end up being merciless toward men of compassion.
Seems to me that this quote IS about extremes. That's my problem with it. It is basically saying (if I read it correctly) that you should not show compassion to those who are merciless. There's a difference between showing compassion and being willing to jail a criminal for his edification and others' protection.

Is the definition of "mercy" so limited as to mean only wishy-washy walk-on-me-I'm-a-doormat behavior? I don't think so, and I have been the victim of crime. I would have had no qualms about prosecuting my rapist, had he been caught. But I could (and did) forgive him. That was something that was totally inside me, and carrying fear and hatred and refusal to forgive would have destroyed me. He could have been imprisoned, but I could have still shown him compassion. I could have still treated him mercifully.

I'm definitely no saint. I do or would do these things because they make me more free, and because I truly believe if we all treated one another as we deserve, we'd all be miserable. I am extremely thankful that people have treated me with mercy even when I did not deserve it.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

There's a difference between showing compassion and being willing to jail a criminal for his edification and others' protection.

Well, in fairness to Weisel, I should add that in the story he was talking about a decision to let a murderer go free ... something that does happen from time to time in our legal system, but in the name of finely tuned justice rather than compassion.

So, how is one showing compassion when one jails a criminal? Don't get me wrong - I agree that these two things are compatible - but I think it is also important to understand how they are compatible. What argument does the compassionate person use when it comes time to mete out justice?

I would have had no qualms about prosecuting my rapist, had he been caught. But I could (and did) forgive him. That was something that was totally inside me, and carrying fear and hatred and refusal to forgive would have destroyed me. He could have been imprisoned, but I could have still shown him compassion. I could have still treated him mercifully.

:hug: I am really sorry that you had to suffer that, WC. Rape has to be the most violent crime after murder, and ... it is barely punished by our society. Very difficult to live through something like that and find forgiveness afterwards.

I do not think that mercy and forgiveness are the same thing. Mercy is truly bestowed upon another; forgiveness is something that we only appear to bestow upon another but, ultimately, we are bestowing it upon ourselves. I agree that an inability to forgive would destroy a person. Ironically the more grievous the crime, the more important it is to be able to find forgiveness just because of the depth of the hurt.

I truly believe if we all treated one another as we deserve, we'd all be miserable. I am extremely thankful that people have treated me with mercy even when I did not deserve it.

Is it ever necessary to treat people as they deserve to be treated?

Jn

edited 'ability' to 'inability' which is what I meant but didn't say :P
Last edited by Jnyusa on Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

Is it ever necessary to treat people as they deserve to be treated?
O My! What a loaded question!

Short answer: Yes.

Second answer: Depends.

Long answer: I don't know. Would need to weigh all mitigating factors.

I'll think about this and come back to it later.

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I wrote a better post than this, but it disappeared. :( You'll just have to take my word for it. Just imagine a very wise, amazingly brilliant post. ;)

I think it is possible to show compassion while jailing a criminal. Compassion is not about administering justice. It's about treating the criminal humanely and as if she is a person of intrinsic value rather than a defective object to be torn apart and thrown away. It means never losing hope that she might come to herself and bring light rather than darkness to the world.

Mercy does not mean letting chaos loose on the world. It does mean seeing the person behind the crime.

I knew the guy who killed John Lennon, back when he was a teenager. We weren't buddies, but I knew him as a person, not just a mug shot. Should he have been locked up? Of course (probably in a psychiatric facility, but that's a different issue). The point is, it's easier for me than for most others to want to see him treated mercifully. I know that being a killer is not all that he is. If I were to see him, I would want to act in such a way that he would be reminded of that himself.

That's what I mean by mercy.

And thanks for the :hug: . Back atcha.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

WC: Just imagine a very wise, amazingly brilliant post.

Easy to imagine!

It's about treating the criminal humanely and as if she is a person of intrinsic value rather than a defective object to be torn apart and thrown away.

Yes, I agree with this. (Our prison system is a disgrace in this department, by the way, but I'm sure everyone knows that by now.)

It means never losing hope that she might come to herself and bring light rather than darkness to the world.

I agree with this, too. Some systems are favoring now a schedule of restitution and I think this is an excellent idea. Just locking people up does not really feel like 'paying their debt' - for them or for their victims. If it is a murder or something like that then restitution can't really be made, but if victim's families felt that the person who harmed them had been given the opportunity for atonement, and had truly made it, I believe that forgiveness would be a lot easier to come by. And that would be better for everyone.

Should he have been locked up? Of course (probably in a psychiatric facility, but that's a different issue).

A different issue but another good example of the way compassion ought to be coupled to justice. We don't hold people accountable if their capacity is diminished, but we do prevent them from creating new victims.

Jn
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

I, too, had a post all ready to go yesterday, but for a few "dotting of 'i's and crossing of 't's". Where and why it disappeared I don't know, but it made me feel so :bawl: and :bang: and :x I just had to walk away from the computer for a good long while.

It was an attempt to answer Jn's question about the different approaches to dealing with good and evil in Confucianism, Buddhism and Taoism.

I'll try it (again) as soon as I can dig up the right quotes (again) and get my own words sorted out (again), but I just wanted you to know, Jn, that I've been reading along and will definitely re-enter the discussion.........eventually. 8)

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Jnyusa wrote: One of the Eastern religions holds to this premise ... maybe Ath can tell us which one because I've forgotten ... within Buddhism, Confucianism and Taoism three different approaches to good and evil:

• deliver good for good and evil for evil, so that the evil will feel the consequences of their behavior

• deliver good for good and good for evil, so that the evil will see the alternative

• deliver good for good and justice for evil so that the evil will learn restraint

I have to confess that I favor the last formula :) ... but then, it also depends on the circumstances. If 'evil' has never seen 'good' and does not know what it looks like, then it might be wise to begin by showing that.

Jn
Well, Jny, I guess you better start considering yourself something of a Confucianist! :halo:

The third approach you list is nearly verbatim a passage from his teachings, I believe. Confucius was concerned more with the moral structures of society, I think, and how the individual could find a way to harmonize with these, not with the more internal journey of personal enlightenment that marks both Buddhism and Taoism.

The first approach, I think is more a Buddhist perspective, but of course, it’s really speaking of the “natural consequences” of karma. Karma is the epitome of impartiality, really: a perfectly natural, unbiased, necessary ‘action’ that is triggered by our own actions, which in turn are triggered by thoughts. I think that Buddhist teachings often liken it to the “fire that either burns or warms”, as when a child is warned (or not) about touching a flame, and yet still does so and is pained by it. The flame doesn’t punish the child, the burn is not punishment. It is merely the natural consequence of the action, and hopefully, it will serve to teach.

Buddhists, from what I understand, accept karma as a natural law. There is no higher judgment, no divine intervention, and no gods that steer man's destiny, but only the law of karma itself, which works within a vast global time frame. Deeds yield consequences either in the next second, in the next hour, day, month, year, decade, or even in the next lifetime, or in another distant lifetime.

Here’s an interesting example I found in one of my readings:
An unpleasant sensation occurs. A thought arises that the source of the unpleasantness was a person. This thought is a delusion; any decisions based upon it will therefore be unskillful. A thought arises that some past sensations of unpleasantness issued from this same person. This thought is a further delusion. This is followed by a willful decision to speak words that will produce an unpleasant sensation in that which is perceived as a person. This decision is an act of hostility.
Of all the events described so far, only this is called karma. Words are carefully chosen in the hopes that when heard they will cause pain. The words are pronounced aloud. This is the execution of the decision to be hostile. It may also be classed as a kind of karma, although technically it is after-karma.

There is a visual sensation of a furrowed brow and turned down mouth. The thought arises that the other person's face is frowning. The thought arises that the other person's feelings were hurt. There is a fleeting joyful feeling of success in knowing that one has scored a damaging verbal blow.
Eventually, perhaps much later, there is an unpleasant sensation of regret, perhaps taking the form of a sensation of fear that the perceived enemy may retaliate, or perhaps taking the form of remorse on having acted impetuously, like an immature child, and hoping that no one will remember this childish action. This regret or fear is the unpleasant ripening of the karma, the unskillful decision to inflict pain through words.
Of course, the greater the evil that exudes the “three poisons” of hatred, greed and delusion, the greater the karmic consequence (in the immediate world, this could be self-loathing or constant fear of reprisal, or, after the death of the physical body, having to enter the lowest dharmic realms of “hell” or “hungry ghosts”). There’s something rather satisfying to me about visualizing some of the most monstrous of people becoming “hungry ghosts” that can never satisfy their cravings and lust, that have to turn to the Buddha holding a bowl filled with Truth, accepting it as a “gift” so that they can at last begin to see that their deepest hungers and longings can only be satisfied through such acceptance. I think Gollum and Ungoliant are actually quite close to representing what living as a hungry ghost would be like (of course without the ability to inflict further pain upon the world)………poor old Gollum almost accepted a gift from that bowl of Truth, didn’t he? It would be nice to think that he might have a chance for another go at it, and this time, get it right.

Taoism’s most significant difference from Buddhism is that it does not embrace the idea of karma. The second approach, I believe, is the Taoist perspective, in that one cannot change the world outwardly by force or judgment, but can only change oneself, and in doing so, become an example for the world. A think a Taoist “master” accepts all the conditions of humanity and the world in which it exists, with compassion. S/he teaches and embraces “the other” through “inaction”, allowing The Way to seek its natural course, which is always harmonious, always “good”.
So the sage nurtures all men
And abandons no one.
He accepts everything
And rejects nothing.
He attends to the smallest details.
Thus the Master is willing to help everyone,
and doesn't know the meaning of rejection.
She is there to help all of creation,
and doesn't abandon even the smallest creature.
This is called embracing the light.

It is better merely to live one's life,
realizing one's potential,
rather than wishing
for sanctification.
He who lives in filial piety and love
has no need of ethical teaching.
When cunning and profit are renounced,
stealing and fraud will disappear.
But ethics and kindness, and even wisdom,
are insufficient in themselves.
Better by far to see the simplicity
of raw silk's beauty
and the uncarved block;
to be one with onself,
and with one's brother.
It is better by far
to be one with the Tao,
developing selflessness,
tempering desire,
removing the wish,
but being compassionate.
It is this verse, however, that I always consider when thinking about the "fate" of those who fall out of balance, who do not embrace the three "cherished treasures" of compassion, restraint and unimportance (and I do believe that evil can ultimately arise from their abandonment):
Nature says but few words:
High wind does not last long,
Nor does heavy rain.
If nature's words do not last
Why should those of man?

Who accepts harmony, becomes harmonious.
Who accepts loss, becomes lost.
For who accepts harmony, the Way harmonizes with him,
And who accepts loss, the Way cannot find.
Being "lost" and never "found" is such a sad and lonely burden to bear forever, don't you think? :(

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Beautiful. Thank you so much for that explanation, Ath!

"Who accepts harmony, becomes harmonious.
Who accepts loss, becomes lost.
For who accepts harmony, the Way harmonizes with him,
And who accepts loss, the Way cannot find."

This is important to consider ... and very timely for me (having nothing to do with losing and gaining messageboards) ;)

It is not enough to simply accept loss; one must find in that loss the greater harmony served and .... affirm it as well as accepting it. Otherwise one truly cannot find oneself again.

This, and something TH said in one of the Shibboleth threads fits very well with my thoughts about Gandalf and Saruman, which I've been intending to post here. I actually wrote a four page post <shudders> but decided to withhold it for the time being because it is about something that I understand intellectually but have not really accepted yet in my own heart. So, though I know it is defensible, I don't know if it is really true ... or just a waystation delusion between where I am now and some understanding that would be broader and more true ... if that makes sense.

Jn
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Ath, that was lovely. Thank you so much for recreating that post. It is very clear to me (and has been for some time) that you are one who accepts harmony, not one who accepts loss. As I said to you earlier today, you are true inspiration to me. :love:

Jn, you have made a grave mistake. Not that you have mentioned that you have written this four page post, I will hound you with quiet courtesy until I get you to post it. Just ask Ath; she knows. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

:)

And now that I have written that four page post I am working to understand it so that it can be posted.

Jn
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

A quick aside: Ath, whose translation of Tao Te Ching do you use (it's different from Stephen Mitchell's which I have)?
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

:oops: Rowan, I'm SO sorry that it's taken so long to reply to your question, but first it was Christmas and then it was packing for our holiday in Mexico and then it was Mexico :love: ..........and to top it all off, our internet service was very "iffy" up until our return home this weekend.

You know, I don't have the Stephen Mitchell interpretation, but I do have a number of "favourites" that I refer to. It's funny, but each one offers me something a little different (sometimes a LOT different). Some translations I know very well now, and others are still very new to me. On Kushana's recommendation, I read Ursula K. LeGuin's version for the first time over the summer, and was absolutely smitten by it! :love:

I now have four "hard copies" of the Tao: versions by LeGuin, Jane English and Gia-Fu Feng, D.C. Lau, and one strange little book that my brother picked up in Beijing nearly twenty years ago that has English translations alongside the Chinese, but with no author mentioned (in English, anyway).

I've found a number of excellent translations on the net as well, and often use these to "copy/paste" into a post. My absolute favourite is by Peter Merel, which is extremely poetic and just lovely to read. Stan Rosenthal's version is a lot more "matter of fact" and straightforward, but sometimes that's just what I need! An online version by J.H. Macdonald is another favourite......in this one, "the Master" is always feminine, which I like very much.......sometimes ;) . And finally, I found a totally new and very "modern" version by Ron Hogan a few months ago that is delightfully different!

I remain fascinated at how varied the mood and language of each version can be. I like having so many choices because each one speaks to me in a very unique way and can suit a particular mood that I'm in or answer "just perfectly" a question or problem that has been playing on my mind and heart. It's been over twenty years since I was first drawn to the Tao, and though I've read its many versions countless times, I've never tired of the depths of its beauty or the profound mystery of its wisdom.

And now I get to add Mitchell's translation to my "collection"! :horse:

Thanks. :hug:

Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Thanks, Ath - I'll keep my eyes open for the translations you mentioned. :)

The ideal situation of course would be to know Chinese and be able to read it in the original language...
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Jn wrote:“Boddhisattva” means “enlightened being.” These are beings who achieved enlightenment during a lifetime but chose not to enter Nirvana, staying rather within the cycles of the world to assist other beings in their struggle for enlightenment.
It's like they've made it through all the levels of the game and have won!, but decide to play a few more rounds and help the lower level players. :)

(Sorry, but I can't help putting this sort of thing into gaming terminology! :D )
Jn wrote:From the time I was very young ... like six years old ... I have had a recurring dream in which I am bidding goodbye to a group of family members or close friends who are leaving Earth forever. ... [snip]... Because I started having this dream at such an early age and long, long before I knew anything about Buddhism or the boddhisattva path or Quan Yin as the epitome of that path ... I am wondering now if it is not the memory of a vow taken in a previous lifetime.
My own experience of possible past life memory surfacing was something that happened when I was about 10 or 11 years old. My friends and I had a problem in school where our notes were getting intercepted by our teacher- so I invented a different alphabet in which to write notes in so that the teacher couldn't possibly understand what was in the notes.

Three years ago, when I first saw some Celtic runes, I was completely shocked to recognize several of the characters I'd "invented" so long ago as a child. I never kept a copy of that "code", and only remembered a few of the weirder characters- so I couldn't do a side by side comparison- but there were the ones I remembered!

The only explanation I can think of is past life knowledge surfacing to help with a present life difficulty. It pleases me to imagine that I might have been literate, back when runes were actually used. :)

I'm glad I don't get any more clearer knowledge than that, though. It would be terribly confusing and destructive to my current personality to have much leakage from other lives.