Christian Foes of 'Da Vinci Code' Debate How to Fight It

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

It's his intelligence, not his career choice that affords him respect.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

I imagine that one can accord whatever weight one wishes to Sir Ian's opinion, whether based on his perceived acting ability, his perceived intelligence, or anything else. Odds are that in this case, many non-Christians would identify more with his remark than many Christians - for reasons that have very little to do with either his acting ability or his intelligence.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Yes, as he has his own agenda.

I just don't really understand why his opinion should be accorded much relevance, as it is highly biased against the church.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I certainly sympathize with Sir Ian's point of view, not being a believer in a strict interpretation of the Bible myself. However, I do think that it would be a mistake not to acknowledge the difference between something that is clearly intended to be a fictional entertainment (that perhaps at most gets people to think about serious issues) and something that for millions of people is considered to be (to varying degrees) the Word of God.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

If we started discounting people's opinions because of their real or perceived biases, very few of us would be entitled to say anything at all.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

The last thing I want to do is defend Dan Brown, but I do find this passage from Philippians interesting:

Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds: But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel. What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

What Paul appears to be saying is, Ultimately it doesn't matter what people are saying about Christ, or whether I approve of their intentions. The important thing is that they are thinking and talking about Him, and that's always a good thing.

Something to consider, perhaps.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I'm not discounting his opinion, Prim, I just am constantly seeing his opinion brought to this discussion as if he was some kind of authority on the subject.

He's an actor and he played one of the characters, and he played that character with a passion because he liked that the character hated the church.

That makes him a good actor, not any more qualified to comment on this discussion than anyone else with an opinion.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Lidless wrote:Research, Ax! Research!
I thought about checking the web site. But then I realized that my post had exhausted my interest in the subject. :D
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

halplm wrote:He's an actor and he played one of the characters, and he played that character with a passion because he liked that the character hated the church.
He played that character with a passion because he's a good actor and it's his job to play the characters as truly as possible.

I see no evidence that he gave his acting job any an extra effort "because he liked that the character hated the church." Seems like you are reading something into his quotes that isn't there. I don't think Ian McKellan "hates the church." And even if he did, I doubt if he would allow his personal feelings to change or affect how he might play any character. It's his job to play whatever character his part calls for.
Whistler wrote:What Paul appears to be saying is, Ultimately it doesn't matter what people are saying about Christ, or whether I approve of their intentions. The important thing is that they are thinking and talking about Him, and that's always a good thing.
I am experiencing a small swooning moment for Paul. :D
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

And me for Whistler
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I'm not reading anything into his quotes. His quotes are as plain as day, and he's had a lot more than the ones quoted here.
The Watcher

Post by The Watcher »

Uhmmm, I know I can be dense at times, but what is exactly being argued here any longer? That The Da Vinci Code as a movie is grossing some money but is still seen as a poorly made, stodgy, and dull film? That a fictional movie based on a fictional book should have had disclaimers stating it was fiction?

Why are some here LOOKING for a reason to be pissed off? Were you forced to sit through the movie? Were you forced to have the book read to your unwilling ears?

And while we are at it, a disclaimer in front of Biblical movies would be only fair if DVC warrants such. I certainly do not believe in the Bible as anything but the most illustrative book of allegory, parable, and historic evolution of the power of myth and a sometimes spot on moral guide, but even there one finds some huge issues.....

Since the majority of world opinion lies on my side, I suggest that anything Biblically based needs to now carry a disclaimer stating that it is only opionion and not fact.

:roll: :wimper: :suspicious:

Sounds ridiculous, yes? That is because it IS.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Whatever, halplm. :roll:

If you have quotes from McKellan where he states that he "hates the church," produce them. Further, if you have quotes where he says that he played this character with a particular passion because of his hatred for the church, I'd be interested in seeing them, as well.

I have my own issues with the church, but I am far from "hating" it.

You have put a pretty strong label on McKellan's feelings for the church and futhermore, you have subscribed an underlying motive for his performance. ("He played the character in this way because he hates the church.")

Seems like a false and nasty kind of accusation on your part, unless you can show otherwise, as I said, with specific quotes by McKellan.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It was #1 worldwide for the 3rd week in a row. Amazing.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alys

Post by Alys »

In the film Ian McKellan's character, while quite clearly hating the Catholic Church, says, just as clearly, that responsibility for the cover-up lies not with them or Opus Dei, but just with a select few members of both.

I thought it was OK btw, a bit over long and dull in bits and certainly lacking the pace of the book, but not as dreadful as some reviewers have claimed.
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

Alys wrote:I thought it was OK btw, a bit over long and dull in bits and certainly lacking the pace of the book, but not as dreadful as some reviewers have claimed.
In complete and utter agreement.
It's about time.