Sin and Forgiveness

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

yovargas wrote:To put it politely - those kinds of arguments don't make the book look particularly useful.
Oh, but it is. :blackeye: Of course you would expect me to say that. :P

Seriously: as Tolkien fans, we have spent -- well, over a decade :D -- discussing meanings in the Professor's work.

Why would you expect religious folk not to do the same with their own sacred texts? :scratch:

Obviously there is a difference: a devout Christian doesn't regard the Bible the same way as they would a work of fiction. Or even somebody else's mythology. But you get my point ...
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Pearly Di wrote:Seriously: as Tolkien fans, we have spent -- well, over a decade :D -- discussing meanings in the Professor's work.
If knowing whether or not a balrog has wings was important in some factor of how I lived my life, I would also say LOTR is not a very useful book. :P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

yovargas wrote:
This is a common problem with discussing/debating bible stuff - there's always the "it doesn't quite say what it looks like it says". Di gave me a similar kind of response. To put it politely - those kinds of arguments don't make the book look particularly useful.
This might explain why there are so many translations and paraphrases of the Bible. When reading, I mix it up among a few different versions... a paraphrase I really like is the Lucado Devotional Bible, New Century Version (but I usually check what I read there against other versions such as NKJV, NIV, ESV and commentaries).

I don't know how we can talk about anything without acknowledging the varied meaning of words. This is also why I prefer the inductive (as opposed to the deductive) approach to studying scripture. Actually I try to apply that to everything I read.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

yovargas wrote:
SirDennis wrote:However, in its original sense, lust was understood as something beyond healthy desire/attraction. It spoke to obsession, destructive desire, and self gratification.
This is a common problem with discussing/debating bible stuff - there's always the "it doesn't quite say what it looks like it says". Di gave me a similar kind of response. To put it politely - those kinds of arguments don't make the book look particularly useful.
Well, it had to be written for the ages. Can you imagine trying to write a book, using the clumsy route of words and imagery, and making it make clear, instant and perfect sense to hundreds of years of readers?

Me, neither.

A pastor we once knew described scripture as not "God written", but "God breathed". As we all know, people wrote the words, and as even Tolkien knew (didn't he have issues with "allegory" in his writings?), words can look different to whomever is looking at them. Tolkien was available for many years after the books were published to try to keep the meanings parsed from his writing on task, and still there was confusion.

Inspired by God, written by people. It's the best we got to go on.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

yovargas wrote:If knowing whether or not a balrog has wings was important in some factor of how I lived my life, I would also say LOTR is not a very useful book. :P
I wouldn't say that LotR was 'useful' either. :D Beautiful and inspirational, yes. Reading books like LotR enrich my life.

Obviously I have a very different relationship with the Bible. Which also enriches my life, but in a quite different way.
SirDennis wrote:I don't know how we can talk about anything without acknowledging the varied meaning of words.
I agree.
This is also why I prefer the inductive (as opposed to the deductive) approach to studying scripture. Actually I try to apply that to everything I read.
The inductive approach comes naturally to me ...
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

PearlyDi wrote:Well ... no, not quite. According to the Bible, the human race is the party that moved the goalposts ... not God. According to the Bible, God's creation was perfect, including human beings. We are the ones who chose to sin, and God wants us to come back to him.
And this was a surprise to God? :scratch:

We "chose" to sin? Who made us? Who filled us with these evil desires?

This God is trying to have his cake and eat it, too. Either he's omnipotent and omniscient or he's not. Which is it?

At any rate, you guys will work it around to suit yourselves. People always do. :D
Dig deeper.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Good stuff!

Ax, I think you are conflating intent and motive. Your motives may be a complex blend of residual cat worship and Loonie Toons, but your intent is either to hurt the cat or to save the bird.

Vison, the binding of Isaac is a difficult and important part of the Torah. It's at least a thread of its own. To even begin to understand it, even for th purpose of intellectual inquiry, one must consider a much wider context, both of what led up to the incident and what the consequences were, to Abraham, Isaac, Isaac's sons, and, yes, the God.

Also, to your latest post, there is a large school of thought saying that the so-called Fall was no surprise to God at all. And another school of thought that said that God matured threw the relationship with humans, as humans themselves did.

Pearly Di, yup, this chosen people business is a job with long hours and the benefits are not always readily apparent. ;)

I'll be back if work permits.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Vison, it works like this:

When God created Adam and Eve, they were similar to the other creatures (animals) in that they had no concept of good or evil. The only rule they had to follow was not to eat the fruit from two very special trees in the garden.

Then, along came the serpent (Satan) who convinced Eve to pick some fruit from the one tree. That tree was the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. They then became self-aware, and knew they had done wrong, and tried to hide from God.

God kicked them out of the garden, because he didn't want them eating fruit from the other tree, the Tree of Life, which would have made them immortal.

Since eating from that tree has given us the knowledge of good and evil, we now have to use it to decide how to live our lives. He doesn't interfere any more (the odd time that he does, it's called a 'miracle').
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Sunsilver wrote:God kicked them out of the garden, because he didn't want them eating fruit from the other tree, the Tree of Life, which would have made them immortal.
I usually avoid making these kinds of points these days but to briefly piggyback on vison's post......if one takes this stuff literally, it was pretty mean for god to put the trees in the garden to begin with. And to let the serpent hang out with his new creations.
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Yeah, actually, I was thinking much the same thing. I do struggle with this piece of theology. "If God created everything, then he created evil, too." That's not a far leap to make. I don't believe that, but I have to acknowledge that he allowed room for evil to be created out of the free will he gave to his created beings.

The best illustration of this I've ever seen is actually Tolkien's The Music of the Ainur.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

It's all a plot device. Existence where everything went well and everyone was happy would be boring and not worth viewing or participating in. It's a marketing decision. ;)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Lalaith wrote:Yeah, actually, I was thinking much the same thing. I do struggle with this piece of theology. "If God created everything, then he created evil, too." That's not a far leap to make. I don't believe that, but I have to acknowledge that he allowed room for evil to be created out of the free will he gave to his created beings.
What makes it extra difficult IMO is that the act itself - eating some fruit - isn't evil at all. There's nothing wrong with it intrinsically, god just chose to create an arbitrary rule against it. It's like laying land mines around the garden and then getting angry when they're stepped on. Why put the mines there to begin with? As an outsider looking in, the story just looks mean-spirited.
-The Decemberists

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

It's like potty training a puppy with an axe.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I can see how it looks mean-spirited. I can also see how it's not, particularly if it's allegorical. Although, either way, it goes toward proving that intent is what matters most to God.

(But, wait, I was maintaining that thoughts and actions were equally important, so don't listen to me.)
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Frelga wrote:Good stuff!

Ax, I think you are conflating intent and motive. Your motives may be a complex blend of residual cat worship and Loonie Toons, but your intent is either to hurt the cat or to save the bird.

Vison, the binding of Isaac is a difficult and important part of the Torah. It's at least a thread of its own. To even begin to understand it, even for th purpose of intellectual inquiry, one must consider a much wider context, both of what led up to the incident and what the consequences were, to Abraham, Isaac, Isaac's sons, and, yes, the God.

Also, to your latest post, there is a large school of thought saying that the so-called Fall was no surprise to God at all. And another school of thought that said that God matured threw the relationship with humans, as humans themselves did.

Pearly Di, yup, this chosen people business is a job with long hours and the benefits are not always readily apparent. ;)

I'll be back if work permits.
A lot of good stuff here...

The bit to Ax... :D

And time, yes, and study, oi! Not that I'm complaining. There is plenty about the Bible that is offensive at first (or even second, third, and fourth) glance. But that was part of my motivation to try to understand it, especially as you are presented with a doctrine that preaches love with many so-called adherents who often appear to live-out anything but. When I came across scriptural warnings to the effect that there would be many false teachers and prophets along the way, it was about that time I was sold.

Further to Vision, regarding the overall line of reasoning here, one thing I find fascinating is how deep some of this stuff goes. Your objections appear to be owing to the apparent contradiction between free-will and pre-determination. Admittedly, I do not understand it all that well...

Basically humans choose what to do and God, like some super-computer we cannot even imagine, continuously adjusts His plans to arrive at the desired outcome. (The Book of Jeremiah deals with this somewhat iirc.)

Think of playing a game of chess... a condition of the game is that you are assured victory but you still have to play (Time?)... but the other player uses their free will to move however they want to... this forces you to continuously adjust your line in order to achieve the victory you were assured from the beginning. The main idea: though there is free will, victory is assured. Again it has something to do with our experience of time vs God's experience of time, which I've often felt The Bible isn't very clear on at some points.

There is this attempt to explain it by focusing on how perspectives would differ between beings living in a 2D world vs a 3D world: http://www.askgramps.org/what-is-the-di ... stination/

I realize the answer that "God's ways are not our ways," or that we are not able to grasp the the mind of God are not very satisfying to many... John 3:12 covers it but not in any great detail: “If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe if I tell you of heavenly things?” I like this verse not because it seems to put us in our place but because it shows that even the disciples that walked with Jesus had difficulty getting it at times. It's comforting to know we are in good company.

A person with a runny nose might say, "why put a nose above a mouth, it's gross. God had no idea what he was doing when he designed us!" and leave it at that. A scientist might then say, "Being able to smell our food before we eat it is a first line of defence against sickness."

Now my brain is mush... I'll check back much later. Interesting thread!

Oh, before closing, I wanted to wave to Wampus Cat in thanks for posting the Borg piece this morning. It seems to address what Nerdanel and I were talking about.

(oh and thanks Prim and Pearly Di.)
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

just a nip
Maria wrote:It's like potty training a puppy with an axe.

Good visuals. Kicking the cat seems downright gentle by comparison.

This is to Yov as well:

It does seem like we were set up to fail. One explanation I heard recently is God plops you in paradise, giving you free reign and free will. With all that he gives you one little rule. So what do you do? You break that rule. Who is the bad guy?

The story of the aftermath is a bit much to fathom. I've heard an esoteric explanation as to how the simple act of disobedience upset the balance of perfection. And to be in communion with God, perfection is required. (But like many things I still don't understand how it works exactly or if it is even a valid explanation.)

Either way, it's not as if God was happy about the situation. After giving up on the idea that we would ever sort it out for ourselves, he came down in the form of his son (born into poverty at that) to be the sacrifice that set everything straight.

My sense is when Jesus said "Father, why have you forsaken me?" it was when he felt the anguish of being human and separated from God, even though he was God (this is the nature of being both spirit and flesh). Instead of just freeing himself and saying "you all is crazy! I'm outta here" he saw his self sacrifice for humanity's sake through to the end. "For God so loved the world..."

ETA massive expansion... brain even mushier....
Last edited by SirDennis on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

axordil wrote:
River wrote:
axordil wrote: I prefer my good and evil on the empirical side, personally, but that's neither here nor there.
With all due respect, what are the units on good and evil?
I said empirical, not necessarily quantifiable. :D Though one could construct a test for whether an act is considered good or evil on a simple binary or a more complex sliding scale, adjust for cultural norms, etc., if one had Nothing Else To Do. ;)
But to get even that far you first need to come up with a definition of good and evil we can all agree on. Does such a definition exist?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

IMHO, the Biblical Creation story is mythological. Many meanings can be derived from it, but I think believing it literally, or even semi-literally, is a mistake.

In addition, there are two different stories in Genesis. The first chapter is a complete story in and of itself. God creates man and woman together, in God's own image, male and female (BOTH in God's image.) He plunks them in the garden and it's all good...

It's very similar to many other Creation Myths about the beginning of the world and people.

And then, a whole different story emerges, where Adam is alone and God has to make a "companion" for him and creates woman "out of man" (which seems to indicate that woman is beneath man, somehow) and all the rest of it happens.

Two writers, probably.

Good discussion, people. I'll be back.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Objectively? I'd say no. In fact I'd argue that one of the purposes of many religious faiths is to provide a framework for deciding what good and evil are.

"Does this harm myself or others?" is a reasonable objective starting point, but then you get into the areas of just wars, self-defense, what harm actually is, and whether individuals have the right to choose for their own reasons to be harmed—and whether that is a good or evil thing.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Good visuals. Kicking the cat seems downright gentle by comparison.

I could have sworn that was a common saying :scratch: .... it was just meant to convey overreacting to a situation, not ax-murdering a pup! :oops:
It does seem like we were set up to fail. One explanation I heard recently is God plops you in paradise, gives you free reign and free will, but with one little rule. Then you break that rule. Who is the bad guy?
If one has no sense of good and bad, then how can one be expected to understand about rules and the importance of not breaking them?

I had a pet bird up until last year ( :( ) and he quite literally did not understand the concept of *not* doing what he wanted to do because it was "bad." A dog may break your rule, but will feel guilty about it. A bird seems to have no such process in it's brain. You can teach them not to do something if it results in danger to them, but you can't gently teach them to obey your rules because it's the right thing to do. If he got it in his head that he wanted to shred a particular item, he'd be back in that corner the minute your back was turned tearing away until you came back and shooed him away again.

That's what having no sense of good and evil is like. It seems to me that expecting a creature with no knowledge of good and evil to have any self restraint at all is illogical. And, in fact, gaining the knowledge of good and evil ought to improve their chances of following subsequent rules.

It doesn't make sense to cast them out for acting according to their natures.