Jews for Jesus

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Interesting post, Sunny; thank you for sharing it.

Meanwhile, anyone see the ad currently on the page:

:shock:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Voronwë, what is particularily interesting is THIS:
Is Jews for Jesus a Christian organization, or is it a Jewish organization?

Jews for Jesus has never made a secret of the fact that the organization and its doctrine is strictly Christian in the fundamentalist/evangelical understanding of Christian faith (click here to view the organization's doctrinal statement). While the majority of the missionaries who work for Jews for Jesus grew up in Jewish homes, and while most of them identify themselves as Jews, their message is a distinctly evangelical Christian one. Two examples of high ranking Jews for Jesus missionaries who have Web sites are Susan Perlman and Bob Mendelsohn.
Link for above: http://www.exjewsforjesus.org/j4jquesti ... r%20jewish
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, that is interesting.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Cerin, way back near the beginning of this thread you asked:
Cerin wrote:Is there something that has symbolically replaced the animal sacrifices of the Old Testament that were required in order to be acceptable in God's presence and for atonement? Or is it thought that the shedding of blood was only necessary for that time?
I was googling some Jewish history late last night after following the TORC link that Windy provided in the 'Suffering' thread and reading there all of Kushana's posts, and I found a lengthy article in Wikipedia about the period following the destruction of the Second Temple.

This if from Jewish scholar Jacob Neusman:
Of all the major Second Temple sects, only the Pharisees remained, poised with teachings directed to all Jews that could replace Temple worship. Such teachings extended beyond ritual practices. According to the classic midrash in Avot D'Rabbi Nathan (4:5):
The Temple is destroyed. We never witnessed its glory. But Rabbi Joshua did. And when he looked at the Temple ruins one day, he burst into tears. "Alas for us! The place which atoned for the sins of all the people Israel lies in ruins!" Then Rabbi Yohannan ben Zakkai spoke to him these words of comfort: "Be not grieved, my son. There is another way of gaining ritual atonement, even though the Temple is destroyed. We must now gain ritual atonement through deeds of loving-kindness."
I knew nothing about the tenets of early Pharisaic Judaism, but apparently they had been arguing since the return from Babylon that the ritual purity of the Levites was an obligation of all Jews ... that the people were the Temple in a sense, and there was one subgroup that even formulated it that way explicitly.

That would be an accurate summation of belief today, I think: that the Jewish People are the Temple.

When I gave my long-winded explanation about animal sacrifices being the economic support for the administrative class, this was true in a literal, secular way but Frelga is right, of course, that there was also a metaphorical and religious meaning given to this which persists today. I found this additional explanation from Neusman:
Instead of giving tithes to the priests and sacrificing offerings at the Temple, the rabbis instructed Jews to give money to charities. Moreover, they argued that all Jews should study in local synagogues, because Torah is "the inheritance of the congregation of Jacob" (Deut. 33: 4).
Actually, this is the way it was taught to me - that the obligation to make charitable donations is the same as the obligation to bring sacrifices to the Temple during the Temple eras.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Interesting link, indeed.

Of course there is no excuse for any organization operating in this manner, if this information is accurate. Still, I think it is also true that their tactics, and their beliefs, are two different matters.

And thanks, Jn. I was wondering about this question also, and this is a very positive and satisfactory answer.
Voronwë the Faithful

Comedian Jackie Mason is suing the Jews for Jesus for distributing a pamphlet with an image of him next to the words "Jackie Mason ... A Jew for Jesus!?"
"While I have the utmost respect for people who practice the Christian faith, the fact is, as everyone knows, I am as Jewish as a matzo ball or kosher salami," the 75-year-old comedian said in documents filed in state Supreme Court in Manhattan.

"The pamphlet uses my name, my likeness, my `shtick' (if you will), and my very act, which is derived from my personality, to attract attention and converts," Mason said in an affidavit.
Their response?
Susan Perlman, a spokeswoman for Jews for Jesus, said the pamphlet was "good-natured."

"Shame on him for getting so upset about this," she said Friday.
I wouldn't be "upset" if it were me. I would be royally pissed off.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00374.html
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

I think that it is unsurprising that a group using a name as de facto misleading, deceptive and oxymoronic (but not in a good way) as "Jews for Jesus" would resort to (other) deceptive and misleading advertising. Sorry, Voronwë, but I think that "royally pissed off" is too generous.
(and yes, I am annoyed that "Jews for Jesus" has "good naturedly" ignored my requests to take me OFF their mailing list for seven years now)
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident