Call for Inspiration.

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Call for Inspiration.

Post by Crucifer »

x-posted with B77.

Hey guys, I'm entering a composing competition, and the text requirement is 'something that portrays the universality of God.' Basically, a sacred text that isn't affiliated to any religion. (I think that's the idea...) I'm thinking of using perhaps some of Walt Whitman's poetry, as that's quite Godly but not Christian, as such (to my knowledge), but suggestions from Members of faiths other than Christianity would be greatly appreciated! Ideally, I'd love to thread together a variety of texts from a variety of faiths that have a common thread, hence this thread here.

All contributions welcome!

Crucifer.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Hm. So they gave you a conclusion and now you have to come up with the proof. :P Universality of what idea of God?

You could look into Conversations with God by Neale Walsch. Once I got past the initial strangeness, I found him very profound. He seems most influenced by Unitarian Christianity and to some extent Judaism. In fact, I think I need a re-read.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I think it's just the idea of Godness, as opposed to "God" as it's understood by any individual faith.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

There are some interesting quotes on this page. Perhaps you could pick and choose some of the imagery.

I especially like the ones from Scotty McLennen and Dag Hammarskjold.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

[offtopic] Scotty really is an amazing guy. I've gotten to know him over the past few years and I can say with great certainty that he definitely has some of the most interesting and insightful views on religion and spirituality that I know of. [/offtopic]
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

You know him? How wonderful! I confess that I don't even know who he is, but that quote really grabbed me. I'll have to look for other things he's written.