Pope's Visit to the US

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Pope's Visit to the US

Post by MithLuin »

First, I have to say that the media is doing an amazing job of covering this, so I almost don't feel that I need to mention it's happening at all. I expected EWTN to have full coverage of all the public events, but Fox and CNN have done so as well. Not only that, but the commentary has been intelligent, educated, and respectful. The only ones I have a beef with are EWTN, who has been a bit more negative than necessary (I put it down to inexperience with covering such an event, since they like the pope more than most people ;)).

If you'd like to read the addresses he's been giving, please go HERE.

The official website is HERE

But I decided to start the thread because I have a ticket for the mass in Yankees Stadium tomorrow! :D It will be my second time seeing Pope Benedict in person, and I'm so excited!!!!

Any reactions to the pope's visit, activities or talks are welcome. I realize not everyone feels the same way about this guy as I do, but that's why I'm making it clear that I'd love to hear what you think about his trip. Don't bite your tongues ;)
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I hope attending the mass is meaningful for you, MithLuin.

The three most recent posts in my Sacred Space blog deal with Pope Benedict's visit and his remarks. The posts are not particularly insightful, but they show that I have been following his visit with interest. :)
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Thanks Mith for posting this!
Man, how much for that ticket Mith? I'll bid on it! :P
How did you get it? I'm so jealous. =:) :help:

This is the first time I am happy I am down with a flu (again, the late nights have taken a toll on me, but I love my babies :love: ) since I don't have to drive Calgary's snowstorm covered streets but I get to watch the Pope's Visit to America in full.

Man, seeing him on TV again reminded me/us (Princess included) of World Youth Days in Germany. Lucky Mith! Twice! Darn, we will not be able to attend the Australia WYD eventhough my Uncle and his family in Sydney has volunteered taking care of the babies for us while we attend WYD services. Next time, maybe, when the kids are older. :)

I apologize I can't give a coherent comment yet, you know high fever and all, maybe later. :)

*Waiting for the Pope to come to Canada*
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Tickets were free. The New York Archdiocese controlled them, and they gave blocks of tickets to the neighboring diocese and various and sundry other people. You just had to put your name in to the local diocese, which then distributed them. Five students from my school and a friend were able to go to the mass in Washington. My sister and parents got tickets for NY, but then my parents realized they wouldn't really be able to go. So, I took one ticket and offered the other to a friend.

I do have to pay the fee for the bus to NYC that the Archdiocese put together, but it's worth it :) And yes, I know I'm very, very lucky! I was in Köln for World Youth Day as well, and I was standing in the park on the bank of the river when he arrived by boat. So, I was part of the first crowd he saw, and it was so fun to see his face. He was completely floored by us ;). He just looked like, 'wow, people came...' And of course that crowd was nothing compared to what was waiting for him in the city, let alone the final mass with over 800,000 people there.

I would love to go to Sydney in July, but I'm not sure that I can make airfare cooperate.

And I'm even luckier than I've admitted. I saw JPII twice - once when he came to Baltimore in 1995, and once when I went to Rome for Easter in 2003. Now that I think about, those Holy Week tickets worked the same way - they were free, but you had to apply for them in advance. My sister had a friend who was studying abroad in Rome get them for us.

Cool blog, Wampus! I tried to reply there, but my browser didn't like it. In brief, I think his dress choice reveals his liturgical preferences, and that he is more comfortable with pomp and circumstance than most Americans are. But I don't think his clothing is that significant or meant to send any particularly pointed message beyond 'I'm the pope!' The message of his trip is "Christ Our Hope," and I really don't think there's any way to get that out of his big hat or red shoes.

I think you and he are in closer agreement on ecumenicism than you might realize. He does think that unity is based on truth, and truth rests in the Catholic Church (which I realize is not the way you would approach this!), but he thinks that the point of the ecumenical movement is that we all move closer to the truth through our dialogue with one another, and that we challenge each other to grow in unity. He doesn't think that we as Catholics have nothing to learn from others, nor does he think that the goal is that the rest of the world just become Catholic. So, I do think he is willing to listen.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Thanks for that explanation, Mith. That's very reassuring. I perhaps did not give him enough credit. He is obviously a thoughtful and deeply spiritual man, from what I have read.
kams

Post by kams »

How was the Mass?

We get our news from the radio. I was pleasantly surprised how comforting the pope's voice is. Too bad there were only snippets.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

It was awesome! I did get sunburned on my face, and it was a long day, but I'm so glad I had the chance to go.

Here is an excerpt from his homily:
Pope Benedict XVI wrote:"Authority" … "obedience". To be frank, these are not easy words to speak nowadays. Words like these represent a "stumbling stone" for many of our contemporaries, especially in a society which rightly places a high value on personal freedom. Yet, in the light of our faith in Jesus Christ - "the way and the truth and the life" - we come to see the fullest meaning, value, and indeed beauty, of those words. The Gospel teaches us that true freedom, the freedom of the children of God, is found only in the self-surrender which is part of the mystery of love. Only by losing ourselves, the Lord tells us, do we truly find ourselves. True freedom blossoms when we turn away from the burden of sin, which clouds our perceptions and weakens our resolve, and find the source of our ultimate happiness in him who is infinite love, infinite freedom, infinite life. "In his will is our peace."

Real freedom, then, is God's gracious gift, the fruit of conversion to his truth, the truth which makes us free. And this freedom in truth brings in its wake a new and liberating way of seeing reality. When we put on "the mind of Christ," new horizons open before us! In the light of faith, within the communion of the Church, we also find the inspiration and strength to become a leaven of the Gospel in the world. We become the light of the world, the salt of the earth, entrusted with the "apostolate" of making our own lives, and the world in which we live, conform ever more fully to God's saving plan. Full Homily
I think the German (or rather, Bavarian) accent makes his English a little difficult to understand. But once you get used to all the 'the's being 'ze's, it's not so bad. I was able to follow what he said. His Spanish ennunciation is much clearer, though I've heard he's less fluent in that language. Of course, that might be because it sounds so much like Italian.

So, anyway, yeah, account of the day. Got up at 4:45 AM. Woke up my sister at 5 AM, because her alarm didn't go off. Left soon after to pick up our friend around 5:20. Arrived at the Park-and-Ride to meet the bus, which was supposed to come at 6 AM. Buses finally arrived at 7 AM, much to everyone's consternation. Parked the bus near Yankee Stadium, and walked (maybe a mile, not too bad). Saw the new Stadium they were building. (pic) Saw lots of priests in vestments wearing Yankees caps. (pic) Talked to people in line waiting to get into the stadium. All the seats from Baltimore were in a block, so it was fun to talk to a couple people we knew once we got to our section. We had awesome seats! We were in the top tier, but in like the 4th row back. I didn't have to look at the screens ever - I just watched the whole thing. Hmmm, we were on the first base side, and the main altar was set up at 2nd base. So, it was pretty cool! (see pic below) They had a bunch of musicians perform in the afternoon (my favorite being Dana singing 'We Are One Body', the theme song from World Youth Day '93 in Denver)

Then the popemobile showed up (pic), and everyone cheered, and we had mass. The occasion of the visit was the 200th anniversary of Baltimore being elevated from a diocese to an archdiocese (at the time, the entire US was the Baltimore diocese *grin*), and the formation of the dioceses of Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Louisville, KY. So, there was a block of seats in the stadium set aside for people from each of those places, and we all cheered when each city was called. But, it was Yankee Stadium - so how often do they cheer for Boston there? ;) (pic) That also meant that a seminarian from each of those dioceses was an altar server for the mass, and the one from Baltimore is friends with my sister. So, he's in this picture, the lucky guy: (pic) My sister translated the Spanish portion of the homily for me, and the Spanish-speaking people sitting in front of us turned around and grinned at her. Mass was great, and communion was handled really well. It's difficult to distribute communion to that many people quickly, but they did it (I think in less than 15 minutes). Part of the reason they pulled that off was because they had the priests line the stage/altar holding the ciboriums during consecration. (pic) It was pretty awesome to see that, especially after he'd mentioned 'living stones' in his homily - it was like having living altars. (pic)

Afterwards, my sister chit-chatted with the nuns sitting behind us. (pic) They are an active/contemplative order from France (Community of St. John), and while they're new in this country, they're a very multi-national group. The pope left. (pic) We made our way back to the bus, and headed home. Well, with a slight detour. We went over the Tappan Zee bridge, randomly, so it was nice for people to get to see the Hudson River, but a bit out of the way. My sister had baked brownies, so we shared them with the whole group. I spent some time writing, and the rest of the time falling asleep on my sister's shoulder/lap. I still have a stiff neck ;).

We finally got back around 11:30 at night, and I crashed. I had to take a nap after work for the next three days, and stand up in front of teenage girls with a peeling face....but it was still worth it :D.

(All pictures compliments of my sister; my camera has actual film in it, it's not digital.)