SIN!

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

As you can imagine, I struggle with this topic... I am not a believer at all. I do not believe in any religion... however I still try to act morally and so the concept of sin appeals to me. I would probably be closest to the concept of Alatar: Sin is what is morally wrong for me.

But then, again, I struggle even with this definition: how about acts you do, even if you know that they will hurt others, but then you cannot repent for them, because they mean so much happiness to you? I think you see where I am coming from... I can wish my acts would not cause such pain, or would not be morally reprehensible- but they are both, and so I find myself with the idea of sin on my mind and yet without any hope for redemption in the sense that any of you has mentionned. I could ask for forgiveness for the pain it has caused - but not for the act itself... after all it is probably good for me not to be a believer.
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
PrinceAlarming
Interferes With Natural Selection

Post by PrinceAlarming »

Sin.

Well, most of us like sin on some level. We throw sin around, like that cocolate cake was 'sinfully' good. Does that mean our level of enjoyment for that cake was sinful? No, I don't think the powers above would give us chocolate and not want us to enjoy it. Same with sex and certain intoxicants...

I think sin is doing something that you know will do more harm than good, and for no reason...

Stealing bread for your family? Not a sin.
Stealing prada for yourself? Sin.

Shooting the sherif? Sin
Shooting the sherif because he's about to shoot your family? Not a sin.

Eating chocolate cake? Not a sin.
Eating chocolate cake while laughing at starving somoloians then flushing the left overs down the toilet? Sin.