The History of the Hobbit (Contains some "Spoilers"

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

The History of the Hobbit (Contains some "Spoilers"

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Where have I been hiding? Or rather, where has information about this project been hiding, because I have never heard about it. Has anyone else?

The first I heard of it was this mention in the interview with David Braun of HarperCollins that I posted today in the Children of Húrin thread:
TL: Will there be made a box set combining the Hobbit with the History of the Hobbit?
DB: Yes. September.
I quickly found this link:

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/his ... obbit2.htm
History of the creation of the book

First I will try and show a history of events in the creation of this book, going from the initial beginning to the latest news. It is very difficult to trace back any information at all, but I expect all info to appear once the book is published, still here is what we already know.

It's my understanding the writing of this book was first delegated to Taum Santoski (an American who had ties to the Marquette collection where the manuscripts are). I know he was working on it way back in the 1980s. Important to know, the task was actually delegated to him by Christopher Tolkien, who decided not to do The Hobbit when he took up the History of Middle-earth.

Santoski died from cancer in 1991 (an early, tragic death), and the History of the Hobbit was then delegated to John Rateliff, who also had ties to Marquette. We see a first reference about the book in a paper given by John D. Rateliff given in 2004, published in 2006 where he makes reference to a chapter of the upcoming book. This was the only sign we had the project was still ongoing. The only interview I've ever seen with Rateliff on the net is here.

Here is Rateliff's description (from the interview above) of the contents of the History of the Hobbit:
“The big project, which I've been working on for years and will finally be sending to the publisher near the end of this year, is a book called The History of The Hobbit . It's rather along the lines of Christopher Tolkien's editions that make up the History of Middle-Earth series (which I highly recommend if you haven't read them): an edition of the original manuscript of The Hobbit with extensive commentary on how Mr. Baggins' story fits into Tolkien's legendarium. It's a big book filled with the entire text of Tolkien's first draft, along with short essays about everything from rings of invisibility or Tolkien's spiders to a detailed account of just when Tolkien wrote the book (which can actually be reconstructed from available evidence to within a month or two on either end). I hope people will like it when it finally sees the light of day.”

What makes this book especially interesting is that it has the personal blessing of Christopher Tolkien. Before the reading copy was sent to the publisher, it was submitted first to Christopher Tolkien to comment (May 4, 2006 blog entry).

<snip>

The Contents of the book
The History of the Hobbit presents for the first time, in two volumes, the complete unpublished text of the original manuscript of J.R.R.Tolkien’s The Hobbit, his draft of the revision of the Gollum encounter for the second edition, and the fragment of what, if he'd completed it, would have been the third edition of 1960 (a very small amount of which he did use for the actual third edition of 1966), accompanied by John Rateliff's lively and informative account of how the book came to be written and published. As well as recording the numerous changes made to the story both before and after publication, it examines - chapter-by chapter - why those changes were made and how they reflect Tolkien's ever growing concept of Middle-earth.

It provides extensive commentary on the appearance in THE HOBBIT of elements that had already appeared in his earlier 'Silmarillion' writings and the ways in which Bilbo's story draws from the already existing legendarium (and of course ultimately contributed greatly to it). This new book includes many little-known illustrations and previously unpublished maps for The Hobbit by Tolkien himself.

Like Christopher Tolkien’s The History of The Lord of the Rings before it, this is a thoughtful yet exhaustive examination of one of the most treasured stories in English literature. Long overdue for a classic book now celebrating 70 years in print, this companion edition offers fascinating new insights for those who have grown up with this enchanting tale, and will delight those who are about to enter Bilbo's round door for the first time.

The book will be published in two volumes, probably first apart (with one month period in between) and probably later put together in a box (who knows a nice limited edition to celebrate 70 years The Hobbit).

THE HISTORY OF THE HOBBIT: Volume One: Mr Baggins
Includes the first part of the complete original unpublished manuscript version of ‘The Hobbit’ and previously unpublished and rarely-seen maps and illustrations by Tolkien. This volume is announced for 08 May 2007.

THE HISTORY OF THE HOBBIT: Volume Two: Return to Bag-End
This second volume picks up Bilbo Baggins’ story half-way through his journey and chronicles how, after much adversity, he must still face the mighty dragon, Smaug, carry out the burglary for which he has been recruited, and return safely home to Bag-End. This volume is announced for 04 June 2007.
It is not available for pre-order at amazon.com (though the May 8, 2007 publication date is listed):

Amazon link

It is, however, available for pre-order at amazon.co.uk:

Amazon UK link
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

If enough people put themselves down for email notification, I think Amazon automatically makes the book available for pre-order. That's what happened with mine, I suspect; there's no reason the publisher would care about letting people place orders so many months in advance. (:love: to you kind people)

So, perhaps people who want the book should make a point of doing that, if they want to be able to order it early.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Could you shrink the links, por favor? :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

We live to serve, yov. :)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Sorry, yov.

Thanks, Prim.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, I've been working on your book all morning, and the impulse to meddle with even more of your writing was too much for me. :D
Voronwë the Faithful

:hug:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You wait until you see it. I've been pretty savage about commas.
Voronwë the Faithful

I, can't, wait. :P
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Mostly putting them in. :P
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

TL: Will there be made a box set combining the Hobbit with the History of the Hobbit?
DB: Yes. September.
Now I know what I want for next Christmas. :D
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:D

This shoud be gooood stuff.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

I received my copy in the mail today! I had forgotten that it was to be packaged as a box set with a copy of The Hobbit itself along with the two volumes. I've never owned a hardcover copy of The Hobbit before (for that matter, I've also never owned a hard copy of LOTR, either, although I now do have The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, as well as the deluxe version of The Children of Húrin, and all the volumes of HoMe). I've only just glanced at it a bit (and started reading the first page of the Introduction. It is very attractively packaged, and I am really looking forward to reading it. I'll say more when I have more to say!
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

It's really exhaustive- sort of a combination of HoME and Hammond & Scull rolled into one.

To me the most interesting bit is the 1960 rewrite (in Vol II)- some very interesting additions to 'canon.' For example, did you know that the Hobbits sometimes hired Dwarves to do road-maintenance? (I have no idea who hired them or how they paid them, given an apparent absence of taxation in the Shire). And some info on the "Forsaken Inn."
Voronwë the Faithful

solicitr wrote:It's really exhaustive- sort of a combination of HoME and Hammond & Scull rolled into one.
That's the sense I have gotten from comments that I have seen, and glancing at it.
To me the most interesting bit is the 1960 rewrite (in Vol II)- some very interesting additions to 'canon.' For example, did you know that the Hobbits sometimes hired Dwarves to do road-maintenance? (I have no idea who hired them or how they paid them, given an apparent absence of taxation in the Shire). And some info on the "Forsaken Inn."
I'm definitely looking forward to that. But I'm going to try to read this one straight through from cover to cover (and cover to cover), rather than jumping around. Whereas, I have found that impossible with Scull and Hammond's books (though I have gleamed an immense amount of information from them here and there).
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Wow. You guys own it.

Oh, to not be a student soon.... :x
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

SPOILER ALERT! IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ DETAILS ABOUT DIFFERENCES IN ORIGINAL HOBBIT MANUSCRIPT, DO NOT READ FURTHER
I am pretty flabbergasted at some of the original names of important characters. Bilbo was Bilbo Baggins from the start, of course, and 12 of the 13 dwarves had their original names from the beginning. But Smaug was originally known as Pryftan. And Gandalf's name was originally Bladorthin (a Noldorin name, which made some sense). But most surprising is that Thorin's original names was . . . Gandalf. That actually makes sense too, because Gandalf is an Old Norse name like the other names of the dwarves. Still, it is very strange to see version's of Thorin's statements attributed to "Gandalf".

No less surprising (as Rateliff points out) is the fact that the name of the Goblin whose head is knocked off by the Bullroarer (thus inventing the game of golf, and briefly also the game of chess, which is quite strange) was "Fingolfin". This is particularly strange since Fingolfin's role as a Elven prince was already well established by this time in the Silmarillion tradition. Rateliff's discussion of this anomaly is well worth reading.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

The name-changes you mention have been known at least since the 50th Anniversary Hobbit came out, which in its forward included the page containing the original version of Thror's Map.

The chess reference- it seems to me that Tolkien was playing with words again: 'checkmate' derives from Persian shah mat, 'the king is dead.'
Anduril

Post by Anduril »

I think those name-changes are also mentioned in Humphrey Carpenter's biography.
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote: But most surprising is that Thorin's original names was . . . Gandalf. That actually makes sense too, because Gandalf is an Old Norse name like the other names of the dwarves.
If I remember correctly, there is a dwarf called Gandalfr in the Edda, from which at least most of the other dwarf names are taken. Got to check when I get home.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu