Tolkien Opera

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Tolkien Opera

Post by Alatar »

Spotted this on TORN

Code: Select all

Tolkien Opera in NYC?
Xoanon @ 8:51 pm EST

World Premiere of LEITHIAN, Part I, to be given in New York

J. R. R. Tolkien Tale Is Set by American Composer

The world premiere of Part I of the opera LEITHIAN, by Adam Klein, will be presented July 1, 2006, 7 PM at Liederkranz Hall, 6 East 87th Street, New York City.

LEITHIAN is based on THE SILMARILLION by J. R. R. Tolkien, “1977 George Allen & Unwin (Publishers) Ltd., and is used by permission.

This concert performance will feature Tami Swartz, soprano; Adam Klein, tenor; David Adam Moore, baritone; Dianna Dollman, mezzo-soprano; George Kasarjian, countertenor; and Elizabeth Hastings, music director.

THE SILMARILLION, begun in 1914 and published posthumously by Tolkien's son Christopher, predates THE HOBBIT and its sequel THE LORD OF THE RINGS, which in fact are themselves sequels to this earlier mythic history.

LEITHIAN, or Release from Bondage, takes place in the First Age of Middle-earth, when Sauron was but a captain of an even greater evil being, Morgoth the Black Enemy. (The stories of THE HOBBIT and THE LORD OF THE RINGS occur in the Third Age.) It is the heroic tale of how Beren and Lúthien - ancestors of Aragorn, Arwen and Elrond - achieved what the entire Elvish army could not: rescue one of the three Silmarils (luminous jewels made by the great Elf-smith Fëanor) from Morgoth's Crown. It is also the story of the first union between Elf and Man (the last being Arwen and Aragorn).

ASCAP member Adam Klein, who studied composition with John Lessard and Donald Erb, has been a composer since age seven. He began LEITHIAN in 1982 after reading that Tolkien had hoped his stories would be set to music. Completed in 1992, this epic opera (four and one half hours of music plus intermissions) is faithful to its source: the story was not altered and no characters were omitted or conflated. The libretto blends texts by Tolkien and the composer, the former's being too incomplete to draw from exclusively. The concert on July 1 will present the first half of the piece, though like THE LORD OF THE RINGS it was written as one continuous drama.

In addition to LEITHIAN, Mr. Klein has composed a children's opera, GOLDIE LOCKS AND THE THREE BEARS, and has written numerous songs. He has also performed in many contemporary operas, most recently AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY at the Metropolitan Opera.

Tickets at the door will be $20 for adults, $10 for children 12 and under.

For further information, call 212-316-1695 or visit adamcjklein.us 
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Wow! :shock: Saturday night?

I hope someone posts a report about it! I'm very curious. The story is a natural for opera!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

I wish I could be there sounds amazing :D
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm completely clueless about these things, but is it necessary for them to obtain some kind of rights to the story to put on this production, like the movie rights? (For that matter, does the same apply to the LOTR musical?)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

MithLuin posted about this over at TORC a couple of weeks ago. If you'd like to see and/or contribute to that thread: Opera (Lay of Leithian) - July 1, 2006 (NYC). Mith provided a link to Adam Klein's website where I found this sample:

Leithian: "Farewell ye trees" (High speed) (Dialup)

I sent an email to Adam wishing him luck. I received a very enthusiastic response. This is part of it:
Hey man, this is only the beginning! If it's successful we'll do Part
Two next year, and hopefully someday the whole thing with orchestra,
and maybe even in an opera house.
This guy is an amazing talent. He and his brother are huge Tolkien fans. (He mentioned in his email to me that his brother was very upset that Bombadil wasn't included in Jackson's film. Image ) I really hope to see his opera performed as he invisions it. I'm sure it will be a joy and a delight to those of us who love the works of Tolkien.
Old_Tom_Bombadil

Yesterday TORN featured a brief review of the performance of Adam Klein's "The Lay of Leithian, Part One":

LOTR Opera Review
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Thanks for posting that, Old Tom. It sounds as if it went well and might be an interesting piece.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thanks Tom. I noticed the following on the website:
LEITHIAN is based on THE SILMARILLION by J. R. R. Tolkien, “1977 George Allen & Unwin (Publishers) Ltd., and is used by permission.
Have you contacted him about a recording by any chance?
Old_Tom_Bombadil

Alatar wrote:Have you contacted him about a recording by any chance?
Nay, but given the volume of information Adam provides on his website I'm sure it'll be posted there as soon as something becomes available. :)
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Doesn't the Nin i Hin Húrin REALLY scream for an operatic adaptation, though?
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

axordil wrote:Doesn't the Nin i Hin Húrin REALLY scream for an operatic adaptation, though?
I once wrote up a brief mock operatic adaptation of Túrin in the style of
What's Opera, Doc?, entitled "What's up, Morgoth?", with Bugs Bunny as Túrin/(in drag as Niniel), Elmer Fudd as Morgoth, Daffy Duck as Húrin, Gossamer as Gothmog and Porky Pig as Mîm.

But I don't think that that is what you were looking for.

I also once did an analysis in answer to someone who described the Túrin tale as "soap opera", and refuted it, and indicated that it was closer to true opera (not that I am an expert on such things). If I get the chance I'll post that somewhere.

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I contacted Adam about getting arecording and the news isn't so good..
Yes we recorded the live performance. However, I have been contacted by a lawyer for the publisher telling me the concert was in violation of a moratorium they put on writing any music to a Tolkien story! But my long-expired contract with the publisher apparently gives me some retroactive leeway and they're not going to fine me, but now I only have a year (unless something changes) to put on any further concerts of my opera.

As for a CD, I am allowed to distribute promotional copies to individuals, as you can see from the attached documents to the email I'm forwarding to you to look at, if you're curious.

I have a feeling it will take a big wig like Peter Jackson to get the opera produced on stage. I don't have the legal resources to fight these people.
What a crock... I don't know who to blame for this, Tolkien Enterprises or the Movie Lawyers.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Just another reason why copyrights should die with, or soon after, their authors. And this is coming from someone who would love to BE a published author.
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

Who would be the fat lady?
It's about time.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Nienor was far enough along to show, wasn't she? ;)
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

*leans back in his chair, sets up the screwdrivers, and awaits the reactions to women being called fat because they are pregnant*
It's about time.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I would rather call a pregnant woman fat than call a fat woman pregnant... :shock: :help: =:)