Elvish translation needed

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Elvish translation needed

Post by Primula Baggins »

A friend of ours posted here:
Does anyone know how to translate the words " No man is an island" in Elvish?
She needs a quick answer, and in that thread. Can anyone here help?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

La adan tol? The verb "to be" is usually taken for granted in the indicitive. Literally this would be "(negative statement indicator) man (is) island."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Thanks, Ax. I reposted your answer in the thread where the question was asked—I hope you don't mind, but I don't think our friend is able to be online long.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King