Undiscovered J R R Tolkien poems found in 1936 school magazi

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: Undiscovered J R R Tolkien poems found in 1936 school ma

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm not so sure I get "Bombadil" from "The Shadow Man." Some of the phrasing is similar, but the events are not.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Shadow Man sounds like he was it is about a troll.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
CosmicBob

Re: Undiscovered J R R Tolkien poems found in 1936 school ma

Post by CosmicBob »

That Noel one is obviously about the birth of Jesus, but the first two sections talking about the wind "whistled bitter-cold and free" and "The lord of snows" seem highly incongruous for the subject, since Jesus was born in Bethlehem, not much bitter cold or snow.

But it does make for a more traditional English Christmas atmosphere.