Your favourite Tolkien artistes

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

<speechless>

That's ... just ... awful.

:wimper:

This Ezpeleta person deserves a good trouting. And maybe slightly more careful reading of the Silmarillion.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Sassafras wrote:This Ezpeleta person deserves a good trouting. And maybe slightly more careful reading of the Silmarillion.
(...and probably a lot less of those psychedlic drugs.) Still, one has to admire her skill at rendering squirrels. :)

By the way, here's the dialogue to go with that scene:

KILLER SQUIRREL #1

Squeak! Squeak! Squeak!

(Radagast's Translation: I am Inigo Ardilla. You killed my father. Prepare to die!)

ÉOWYN

Ooo! Faramir! There’s a vicious creature by your leg!

FARAMIR

Ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! A harmless little squirrel? What’s it going to do, nibble me bum?

KILLER SQUIRREL #2

Squeak! Squeak! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaak!
(Radagast's Translation: No, but I will. Bonzaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiii!)
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

To Tolkien art, Ezpeleta's works are the same as Bored of the Rings and Sillymarillion to the books. :P Only unintendedly, I believe. :D
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I met Ted Nasmith this weekend. He's very nice.

Here's a pic of him with two of my roomies from the Gathering.

Apparently he likes to paint cars ;).
Bolg of the North

Post by Bolg of the North »

Almost every Tolkien artist that I've seen gets something right.
Apart from the two immortals among Tolkien artists, I would give my nod to Ted Nasmith.

What I have noticed with most of the artists that I viewed at this gallery is that when it comes to scenery, most are able to get it right, at least according to my merciless standards. :D

Certain paintings hit the bullseye and form the basis for which a passage in the book will be viewed, at least for me.
Care to playChess ?
Old_Tom_Bombadil

If you fancy Anke Eißmann's work, I encourage you to visit her shop at Gallery Kunst +. She has prints available for 75 €, posters for 15 €, and postcards for 1,50 €.

Yesterday I purchased a poster of her splendid painting of Tom Bombadil. Image

Old_Tom_Bombadil

I received the poster a couple of weeks ago, and took it to a custom frame shop/gallery near my office to have it framed and matted. They did a wonderful job, and now the framed work hangs on the wall opposite my front door so that it is the first thing one sees as they enter.

The matting is olive green to match the reeds and other greenery in the poster, and the frame is a medium dark wood. It's very nice. :)

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It's very nice.
Yes, it is. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Mrs. Frodo Baggins
Sidonzo

Post by Mrs. Frodo Baggins »

[Note: I moved the following posts from the thread on Frank Frazetta, since the discussion is more appropriate here - VtF]

yov, in another thread, wrote:I think I might be the only Tolkien fan alive who doesn't care for Lee's or Howe's work...
I'm not a big fan of Lee or Howe either yov. Their work doesn't really move me. In fact I haven't seen a lot of Tolkien artwork that moves me in the same way the books do (that isn't true of other artwork and their respective fandoms). The only artist that I have seen that comes to mind as getting a lot of Tolkien's feel into their pictures is...well I can't remember exactly how to spell his/her name (Is it Anke someone?), but he/she painted the picture at the top of this forum. Though again I am not really moved by his/her artwork, but it is really well done, beautiful and the mood is spot on for me.

The only Tolkien artist that really moved me was a young woman whose work was on www.elfwood.com years ago. I don't know if it is still there...if it is, I will post a couple of images. All of her pictures were of Sam and Frodo and they were really beautiful and touching to me.

~Sid
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:If he put some clothes on people, I think I'd prefer these to the typical Tolkien art.
I agree! Well, to a point. Paying a bit more attention to the plot points would improve these pictures no end. Like... WiKi is great, but is it really fair to give him an empty helmet and very fleshy arms and legs? And what part of "she is trying to pass for a man" is so difficult to understand? As my son would say, "Dude!"

One of my favorite Tolkien artists is Jane Dolfen (http://www.goldseven.de/) I think she used to have more Tolkien art on her website. And I can't remember if it was she or Eissman who had really charming comic strips of the Gondor Brothers as children, based on Calvin and Hobbes and done in the black-and-white ink(?). Can't find the link now. :(

Speaking of art, Sid, I really like your avatar.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Mrs. Frodo Baggins
Sidonzo

One of my favorite Tolkien artists is Jane Dolfen (http://www.goldseven.de/)
I think her name is Jenny Dolfen and I love her work as well! Not only did she draw and paint great Tolkien illustrations she also illustrated another favorite of mine, the A Song of Ice and Fire series. She does SO well with water colors!

Aw, Frelga thank you! :D I can't take credit for the character though since this is a fanart. I've been drawing like crazy lately because I am bound and determined to get really, really good. I don't know how close I am, but I am improving. :)

~Sid
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Oh, those Dolfen works are pretty nice. I don't know what this pic is of specifically (something from the Sil, she says), but the feel is very Tolkien to me:

http://www.goldseven.de/img/tolkien/pic ... ofgold.jpg

edit per Frelga's request
Last edited by yovargas on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Yov, that's Yavanna. :) And yes, Jenny Dolfen's work is lovely. :)

As is Anke Eissmann's. :love:

Hi, Mrs Baggins, I mean Sid! :wave:

I'm sorry that Alan Lee and John Howe don't do anything for you. I have to say that Lee's landscapes are EXACTLY how I pictured Middle-earth, for years and years. :love:
Last edited by Pearly Di on Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Mrs. Frodo Baggins
Sidonzo

I'm sorry that Alan Lee and John Howe don't do anything for you. I have to say that Lee's landscapes are EXACTLY how I pictured Middle-earth, for years and years.
Oh I agree that their landscapes look the way I imagined them looking in the story, they just don't stir emtion in me. At least none of the ones I have seen. I suppose I like more intimate pictures of the characters instead of vast landscapes (though vast landscapes can move me as well).

~Sid

ETA: I found my favorite piece from that artist that I was talking about earlier. Her name is Lucy Wade. Maybe I am the only one that likes it though, we all do have our own tastes in art. ;)

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I like that, Sid. I'm hobbit-centric and a lot of Tolkien artists give hobbits short shrift, making them comical or childlike or both—giving them no dignity as characters. One of the reasons I like Anke Eißmann's work is that she also shows hobbits more as I imagine them—scaled like small people, not stumpy and certainly not silly.

I like the emotion in this one. Thanks for posting it—I hadn't heard of this artist before.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Mrs. Frodo Baggins wrote:Aw, Frelga thank you! :D I can't take credit for the character though since this is a fanart. I've been drawing like crazy lately because I am bound and determined to get really, really good. I don't know how close I am, but I am improving. :)

~Sid
I think you are. I always liked your drawings, and this one looks so well done, technically, from what little I can judge. :)

And d'oh! Of course it's Jenny Dolfen, not Jane. What was I thinking? I even looked it up.

Incidentally, yov, I think on her website Dolfen asks not to repost her works. I might be mistaken, but I thought I'd mention it. We've had an issue on another board with people finding their artwork posted and getting upset, and I wouldn't want it to happen here.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Oh, ok, changed it to a link.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Sid and Prim,

I can tell you who Lucy Wade is, because I met her.

She used to post with me on the Imladris site (as it was known then, it's now Council-of-Elrond.net) and in fact Lucy, I and a bunch of other Imladris pals were at Oxonmoot 2001! :)

She wasn't a professional artist. Just a lass with a talent. :)

But around March 2002 she simply stopped posting and disappeared off the boards. :( Some of us emailed her to see if she was OK and I think she replied once to say that she was ... but after that she just disappeared from the messageboards completely.

Oh well. Sometimes people just choose to disappear, and move on.

I would dearly like to know how she is doing these days though.

I had completely forgotten about Lucy's lovely paintings at Elfwood. :) Thanks so much, Sid, for posting that one up of Frodo and Sam! Gosh, I remember her posting it. It's beautiful. The emotion and mood are so right. Sam's face, :cry:
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

I agree. Lucy's picture is excellent. I would like to see more. I have very minor quibbles with the feet, fingers and sword but she has the emotion down wonderfully.
Mrs. Frodo Baggins
Sidonzo

I knew she was just a normal person that was really talented, in fact I had a feeling that she was around in the Tolkien fandom somewhere. That is so cool that you met her Di. I too wonder about some people from time to time that I don't ever see anymore. I always hope that they are doing well.

Here is a link to her gallery on Elfwood, Tosh. It's not very big and she hasn't updated it in years, but I really love what she does have on there. I'm definitely a fan of her work! :D

http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/art/w/a/wad/wad.html

~Sid