Your favourite Tolkien artistes

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Your favourite Tolkien artistes

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Feel free to add any that you can think of. I might, as well.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I might just put in a few this weekend. Probably mostly the ones I don't know how to spell off the top of my head.

I will also take requests in the "Talk to a Shirriff" thread. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

When I was writing up our screenplay it was the dratted ë that was a pain - particularly for Fëanor... and all the names ending with -ë, including the -wës and the Valar (Manwë, Aulë, Vairë, Oromë)

Other than that, I would agree with adding Éowyn and Éomer for starters. Maybe Éothain, too?
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That may not look a thing like the actual Witch King but it's a pretty striking image nonetheless!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Perhaps the artist is trying to say that Éowyn was fighting an inner battle when facing the Wiki. But I am sure she wasn't...
Shabeel

Post by Shabeel »

I would like to apologize for jumping right into a little controversy in my first posts on the forum.

I was browsing the Tolkien Illustrators thread, and I found some pretty unfair remarks regarding Maria Lombide Ezpeleta and her work. Digging deeper, I found yet more unfair criticism on the forum and was pretty shocked, as she is among my favorite illustrators and I absolutely love her style.

While her execution might be rather psychedelic, and her compositions sometimes feature unwelcome elements (not a fan of certain haircuts, nor of certain character depictions), but from an emotional point of view, she is very, very, VERY good at depicting hidden realities of the Silmarillion. I, for one, resonate on an emotional level with her works more than with the works of any other Tolkien illustrator.

Have you seen her Yavanna?

How about these?

The Kinslaying

Sauron in Númenor

Idril and Maeglin

I mean, taste is taste, and you might not like everyone's style. That's perfectly natural.

But from that to shaming an artist and branding them a defiler of Tolkien's work, I think somewhere Morgoth is laughing and enjoying himself.
Voronwë the Faithful

Hi Shabeel. Thanks for your comments. I am sorry that you were offended by past comments about Ms. Ezpeleta's work. I can't say that I particularly appreciate any of the paintings that you linked to, but as you say, taste is taste, and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. If her works illustrate for you aspects of Tolkien's work that other artists do not capture, that is all to the good.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Shabeel

Post by Shabeel »

That's perfectly fine, no two people are alike. I just found some people went very much overboard, calling her "the worst Tolkien illustrator" and ridiculing her work. It's unfair to treat someone who's dedicated her life to art like that, and it's not like she's getting rich off Tolkien's world or anything.

Anyway, I'm glad I came across this thread. Discovering lots of illustrators I didn't know about :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Was I one of them? If so I apologise for any offense, but I have to say I see very few redeeming features in her work as Tolkien illustrations. As generic fantasy art, they are perfectly fine, but they just feel completely wrong to me in a very visceral way as illustrations of Tolkien's work. I also dislike Cor Blok's style, but it's less distasteful to me.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Has the work of Soni Alcorn-Hender been posted here? I like her style.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Oh, BohemianWeasel! Yes, I've enjoyed a lot of her LotR stuff in the past...

Just had to post this recent picture by one of my favourites, Elena Kukanova, on deviantART...she has such a beautiful, delicate touch!

Aegnor and Andreth:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Not how I picture Andreth (one of my favorite Tolkien characters), but very lovely nonetheless!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

New illustration from Kimberly80 - Ossë and Uinen...

~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Why does Ossë look like a human and Uinen like a demon?

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Search me! It did strike me as strange, too...I think he ought to have bluer skin, but apart from that I like the designs (you do need to view the larger image in the link to appreciate the drawing better) and it's nice to see a new take on some less commonly seen characters...
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Does Ossë have a squid living under his helmet, like Radagast's birds? I wonder what squid scat looks like? :P
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I think it's his hair. In which case, I wonder what squiddy split ends are like?
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, I'm sure it is his hair. I was making a joke. Not a very good one, probably.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Squiddy hair is more unsettling than having a squid under your helmet, though.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Has anyone come across work by Raoul Vitale before?

I've just stumbled across this incredibly detailed painting of Galadriel...
http://cdn.infectedbyart.com/Images/Cat ... 031151.jpg
~Diana Cortes