Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Post by Alatar »

This actually is starting to look pretty cool!

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Passdagas the Brown

Re: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Celebrimbor!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

My kids are really excited about this, too...they keep on hinting about a PS4 for Xmas because of it!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Looks cool, but I still just can't get my head around Wraithbrimbor.
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

Now, that is a great trailer!
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

I love Annatar's line: "Only you could accomplish such art, Celebrimbor."
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

Nice interview with Christian Cantamessa, lead writer for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh-hM8L5FVQ

(starts around 20:00)
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

Shorter "boss" trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAiNL0mi8v0

So...Sauron's got sons? :twisted:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That was strange. Then again, at least one other Maia had children.

Does anyone know if this is more open world or story driven?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

Frelga wrote:That was strange. Then again, at least one other Maia had children.
To be honest, I think that the orcs/men shown in that video are not Sauron’s real sons in the game but are just called that way by the off-screen female character. They are more likely his most loyal and high-ranking lieutenants next to the Nazgûl.
Does anyone know if this is more open world or story driven?
That is hard to tell as of now. The game features an open world, or to be more specifically, several large areas in Mordor (Gorgoroth, Nurn, etc.). How big and detailed that world really is, remains unknown.

I cannot really pass a judgment on the game’s story either. It could be a generic revenge story, or a “Game of Thrones-Middle-earth mishmash”. But as I’ve previously pointed out the story is written by the lead writer of “Red Dead Redemption”, arguably one of the best games of the last console generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZUUVV2rjoc
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Getting surprisingly good reviews!
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor is developer by Monolith productions and is a different take on the Lord of the Rings universe. Taking place between the events of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, the game features a new character named Talion who comes back from the dead with the help of Celebrimbor, the maker of the Rings of Power.

The game features voice talent by both Troy Baker and Nolan North, and has a unique system called the the Nemesis System. The developer released a video yesterday telling you everything you need to know about the game, if you’re on the fence.

Have a look at the reviews below, scores are out of ten, unless otherwise noted.

Joystiq – 5/5
Polygon – 9.5
IGN – 9.3
Shacknews – 9
The Escapist – 4.5/5
Game Informer – 8.25
EGM – 8.5
Gamespot – 8
Eurogamer – 8
Destructoid – 6
GameFront – 9
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

So I've been playing this on and off since Christmas. Have to say I'm loving it. Its a bit weird that far and away the most successful AAA video game based on Tolkien is based on probably the most obscure and tenuous links. The fact that the game is set in Mordor, just after Sauron's return gives it the freedom to be its own game without trying to be "Lord of the Rings". Gollum is in there, as he was searching for the ring during this time. Sauron has just returned to Mordor after the attack on Dol Guldur. There are references to Curunir, Celebrimbor and a lot of Gondor stuff sprinkled throughout. Essentially, the game is a hack and slash, sneakfest as you work your way through the armies of Mordor trying to get to the Black Hand and the Mouth of Sauron who are responsible for your living death. So it can be played like that and all the lore simply ignored. But for a fan, there's just so much going on here. Apart from the main quests, there are Ithildin signs and Artifacts scattered throughout the map (and yes, it is completely Open World). When you find an artifact, you can examine it to see its history, and trigger a "memory" which is a fully voice acted piece of lore. Check out this little gem on the Battle of the Five Armies, or as it shall henceforth be known, The Battle to Unfairly Gang Up On the Orcs.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... nref=story
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, the sequel is underway and looking very cool so far, until... this.

I suppose Shelob was technically a Maia of some sort and capable of shape shifting, but still!