The Istari Revisited

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:I'll have to give this some more thought, and figure out exactly what I do mean. :blackeye: But I think this statement, from the chapter The White Rider in The Two Towers, just after Gandalf's return is key:
Indeed my friends, none of you has any weapon that could hurt me.
That very quote came to mind when I was reading the discussion above. I don't think we ever get to see this statement fulfilled, however, so we have to take Gandalf at is word.
Jnyusa wrote:Although, almost those same words were spoken by a Vala (Mandos iirc) to Fëanor or Fingolfin (one of the F's) when they said they were returning to Middle Earth to defeat Morgoth. They did not appreciate how superior was the power of a Vala.
I believe this is the passage you had in mind:
'...But thou Fëanor Finwë's son by thine oath art exiled. The lies of Melkor thou shalt unlearn in bitterness. Vala he is, thou saist. Then thou have sworn in vain, for none of the Valar canst thou overcome now or ever within the halls of Eä, not though Eru whomst thou namest made thee thrice greater than thou art.'
It is spoken to Fëanor during the course of his rebellion against the Valar after Morgoth slew Finwë and stole the Silmarils. Fëanor, of course, replies to the effect that perhaps he is stronger than they know:
'...And it may be that Eru has set in me a fire greater than thou knowest. Such hurt at the least will I do to the Foe of the Valar that even the mighty Ring of Doom shall wonder to hear...'
FYI: he's not. :P
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Voronwë wrote:I continue to believe that Gandalf meant those words quite literally - that no weapon could harm him because he no longer was truly corporeal. It is an interesting fact to consider that not only was Gandalf the White ever in danger of being harmed by any weapon, he also never is shown taking up a weapon against anyone else, or otherwise physically assaulting anyone (at least that I can think of). He disappears before the battle of Helms Deep, and saves the day by enlisting the help of Erkenbrand and Treebeard. He overcomes Saruman by breaking his staff, not by any physical action but just by willing it. He faces down the Witchking, but never raises a weapon against him. He never goes down to the fields of the Pelennor despite the battle that is raging their. The closest that he comes to engaging in any kind of physical battle is when he rescues Faramir. But he uses no weapon, not even his staff. It's not even clear that he really did anything physical at all
An intriguing collection of observations, Voronwë. It's fascinating to view these occurances as a "whole", rather than as separate and single events......there does seem to be a discernable pattern here.

And I agree with you that Gandalf was no longer truly corporeal. In the chapter "The White Rider", there are other cryptic references that I find telling. The first I think I mentioned already (not sure if it was in this thread or another), when Gandalf tells of his rescue by Gwaihir:
'Ever am I fated to be your burden, friend at need,' I said.

'"A burden you have been," he answered, but not so now. Light as a swan's feather in my claw you are. The Sun shines through you. Indeed I do not think you need me any more: were I to let you fall, you would float upon the wind.'
And then there's the strange remarks (at least to me) by Aragorn when Gandalf tells him that they must go to Edoras.
Yes, we will set out together,' said Aragorn. 'But I do not doubt that you will come there before me, if you wish.' He rose and looked long at Gandalf.

<snip>

'Do I not say truly, Gandalf,' said Aragorn at last, 'that you could go withersoever you wished quicker than I?'
I also think that when Gandalf is returned to Celebdil, lying naked on the mountain-top, he is somehow separate from time and space:
'There I lay staring upward, while the stars wheeled over, and each day was as long as a life-age of the earth. Faint to my ears came the gathered rumour of all lands : the springing and the dying, the song and the weeping, and the slow everlasting groan of overburdened stone.'
It is after Gwaihir rescues him that he says "I felt life in me again", which I now believe means that some......adjustments have started to be made that allow him to once again "dwell" in some form of body that can operate within the physical world.
Jny wrote:I have thought ... well, this is something I've hesitated to post about here for fear of being misunderstood ... but I have long thought that the contrast between Gandalf and Saruman was related to Tolkien's understanding of his Christian faith and what he himself (Tolkien) was being called upon to do.

He wrote revealing all the core values from his very distinct religious faith without confining them, not even by allegory, to a specific set of beliefs, as if to say, "I don't know for whom this might be relevant but it is so important to me that I will write it in such a way that no one need feel excluded from it."
Your words made me look up one of Tolkien's letters (#131 to Milton Waldman). At one point in the letter, he speaks of his deep interest from a young age with the myths of several cultures, and the "impoverished" state of English myth:
Tolkien wrote:Of course, there was and is all the Arthurian world, but powerful as it is, it is imperfectly naturalized, associated with the soil of Britain, but not with English; and does not replace what I feel to be missing. For one thing its 'faerie' is too lavish and fantastical, incoherent and repetitive. For another and more important thing: it is involved in, and explicitly contains the Christian religion.

For reasons which I will not elaborate, that seems to me fatal. Myth and fairy-story must, as all art, reflect and contain in solution elements of moral and religious truth (or error), but not explicit, not in the known form of the primary 'real' world.

<snip>

These tales are 'new', they are not directly derived from other myths and legends, but they must inevitably contain a large measure of ancient wide-spread motives or elements. After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear. There cannot be any 'story' without a fall - all stories are ultimately about the fall - at least not for human minds as we know them and have them.

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Myth and fairy-story must, as all art, reflect and contain in solution elements of moral and religious truth (or error), but not explicit, not in the known form of the primary 'real' world.
This encapsulates for the first time why I can love LotR, and cannot love Narnia or Perelandra, as "fairy-stories." For me there is an artificiality, a mechanical feeling, to Lewis's stories that Tolkien's completely avoid. I had always attributed this to liking Tolkien's style better, but I think now that this may be the key.

Lewis's stories are bound to the details of his faith; Tolkien's are free of the details and free to connect to the essence of his Christian beliefs. Lewis holds up a mirror; Tolkien makes a painting. Lewis's stories are hard to approach from outside Christianity; Tolkien's have something at their core that people with many different religious beliefs, or none, can recognize and value.

<re-lurks>
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

:agree:

<likes it when Prim de-lurks> :hug:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Primula Baggins I agree as well
I just wish to bring back the discussion of whether Gandalf after Moriar than Sauron. I find a quote I was looking for where Gandlaf himself say:
"And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord
That to me seems rather clear, Gandalf was still weaker even after Moria. Does anyone see otherwise?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

sw, I would very much hesitate to try to make a quantitative (or qualitative) analysis weighing the relative strengths of Sauron the Black (if I can indulge in that term) against Gandalf the White. First of all, it is important to remember that from the beginning, the Istari were not supposed to match power with power. Certainly, Sauron was more powerful then Gandalf the Grey (and all the Istari), who had after all given up much of his "angelic power" by allowing himself to be incarnated in the body of a seemingly old man:
Tolkien, in Letter 156, wrote:Why they should take such a forum is bound up with the 'mythology' of the 'angelic' Powers of the world of this fable At this point in the fabulous history the purpose was precisely to limit and hinder their exhibition of 'power' on the physical plane, and so that they should do what they were primarily sent for: train, advise, instruct, arouse the hearts and minds of those threatened by Sauron to a resistance with their own strengths; and not just to do the job for them They thus appeared as 'old' sage figures.
But even as Olórin, before he was ever incarnated as Gandalf/Mithrandir it is clear from the writings about the Istari in UT that he was weaker then Sauron, or at least saw himself so:
But Olórin declared that he was too weak for such a task, and that he feared Sauron.
However, Gandalf's willingness to sacrifice himself in Moria led to his moving into a different plane.
Letter 156 wrote:For in his condition it was for him a sacrifice to perish on the Bridge in defence of his companions, less perhaps than for a mortal Man or Hobbit, since he had a far greater inner power than they; but also more, since it was a humbling and abnegation of himself in conformity to 'the Rules': for all he could know at that moment he was the only person who could direct the resistance to Sauron successfully, and all his mission was vain. He was handing over to the Authority that ordained the Rules, and giving up personal hope of success.
It is in that "handing over to the Authority" that Gandalf ultimately succeeds, and also why I say that once he "sacrificed himself, was accepted, and enhanced, and returned" (as Tolkien puts it in Letter 156) it is no longer possible to weigh his relative strengths and weaknesses against those of Sauron's. Because in that "handing over" in that "giving up personal hope of success" he becomes truly an instrument of Eru's, rather then merely an emissary of the Valar. And this helps explain his curious actions that I described earlier in regards to the battles of Helms Deep and the Pelennor Fields. Particularly the latter; his non-action while the battle hangs in balance is one of the most curious points in all of the Tale. It can not be explained through logic; it can only be explained by understanding that when "Authority had taken up this plan and enlarged, at the moment of his failure" (as I quoted in a earlier post), Gandalf the White was acting on a different plane, directly guided in his actions by Eru Himself.

As such, since I believe that Gandalf the White truly was acting on a different plane, I don't think it is possible to accurately weigh his comparative strengths and Weaknesses against those of Sauron. As for his statement to Gimli that you quote, I'm not sure that Gandalf himself fully understood this.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

superwizard wrote:Primula Baggins I agree as well
I just wish to bring back the discussion of whether Gandalf after Moriar than Sauron. I find a quote I was looking for where Gandlaf himself say:
"And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord
That to me seems rather clear, Gandalf was still weaker even after Moria. Does anyone see otherwise?
It's a good question, superwizard. :)

I don't have UT with me at the moment so I can't cite the exact passage (ETA I see now that Voronwë has), but I think that it's very telling that a pivotal reason that Olórin is chosen as one of the Istari is precisely because he does fear Sauron, and feels that he is too weak to take on the task.

I think that in Tolkien's moral universe, self-realization of personal "unimportance" and fallibility is actually the strongest foundation of true "power". If Gandalf were to consider himself as truly "the most dangerous being" in Middle-earth, I believe that he would be diminished by the ultimately false reality of such a self-concept. This is the underlying cause of Saruman's fall...of all the "falls" of the great in Tolkien's writings: the illusion (delusion?) that they alone have the power to rule their own destinies, giving little or no thought to the weak and their small choices made out of love or compassion or quiet courage which can serve to redirect even the seemingly strongest of fate's currents . Gandalf is wise enough to know that it's not about his power, it's about the power of Eru's design. If it was about his personal power, then all the "answers" would rest with him, and as Jny so aptly pointed out, Gandalf most definitely doesn't have all the answers. He has faith that Eru ultimately will not abandon his Children to the utter corruption of Sauron and he trusts in the strengths (at times subtle and hidden) in others so that even the small and "unimportant" (Frodo, Sam, Éowyn, Merry and Pippin) may rise to accomplish great things.

It is clear to me that Gandalf does defeat Sauron in the end and is shown to have the greater power: Tolkien makes it clear that Gandalf is "the Enemy of Sauron" and "he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory". But much like the tattered grey cloak that hides his true radiance, the choices and actions of Aragorn and Théoden, Frodo and Sam, Faramir and Éowyn, hide the true source of their individual paths - Gandalf himself, emissary of Eru. It is mercy and love and hope and sacrifice that defeat Sauron, dangerous forces indeed to a being that cannot comprehend their power.

It's been a while since I've quoted the Tao Te Ching, but I think this passage is one that is purely "Tolkienesque", and most fitting for this this discussion:

Unimportance

All the world says,
"I am important;
I am separate from all the world.
I am important because I am separate,
Were I the same, I could never be important."

Yet here are three treasures
That I cherish and commend to you:
The first is compassion,
By which one finds courage.
The second is restraint,
By which one finds strength.
And the third is unimportance,
By which one finds influence.

Those who are fearless, but without compassion,
Powerful, but without restraint,
Or influential, yet important,
Cannot endure.

<edited to complete a thought :upsidedown:
Last edited by Athrabeth on Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

superwizard wrote:
Power is not the only thing that makes a being dangerous. There is also malice.

If Gandalf and Sauron were equal in power, I think Sauron would still be more dangerous.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Very good point, Prim.

Ath, :love:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

Though one must wonder - Gandalf was the master manipulator - the one who inspired hope and knew how to move the chesspieces. It could be argued that the coda in his mini-speech was to abrogate any complacency those about him ("We have the White Wizard!') might be feeling.
It's about time.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

I thank you all for your very insightful posts. Indeed it is in this hall (I mean the hall of fire btw) that I have truly gained so much insightful knowledge that I very much appreciate.
V:
It is in that "handing over to the Authority" that Gandalf ultimately succeeds, and also why I say that once he "sacrificed himself, was accepted, and enhanced, and returned" (as Tolkien puts it in Letter 156) it is no longer possible to weigh his relative strengths and weaknesses against those of Sauron's. Because in that "handing over" in that "giving up personal hope of success" he becomes truly an instrument of Eru's, rather then merely an emissary of the Valar.

That really helped me understand Gandalf more. I have always seen him as a maiar no more. I had never really thought of what changed n Gandalf when he became white. I had just assumed he was given greater power and responsibility. Do you mean that after handing "handing over" he became more than a maiar? Also while on this topic why did Gandalf forget his own name but remember many other things?

Ath: thank you for that thought provoking post

Prim: I had not thought of that before, thank you for pointing it out :)