Tolkien Themed Parks at Disney?

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

No way I'm only talking museum or simply movie memorabilia stuff to look at! The experience definitely has to be interactive... I suppose what I'm talking about probably sounds something like what our American friends call "Renaissance Fairs" in some respects, but bigger and better, with the park divided into different landscaped "lands" or regions like Disneyland, etc.

I guess I'm just trying to describe what would appeal to me personally, as opposed to a viable commercial idea.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Alatar wrote:Interestingly enough, as I've mentioned before, there's a huge computer game which allows you to do all of those things and much more besides, and yet only Eruname and I from this board have ever played it. I find that staggering to be honest.
So have I. Had to stop as it was sucking ALL my time away. I really-really hope to get back to it someday, someyear!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

And Alatar, Inanna's post right above is why I haven't stepped an inch into the computer version of Middle Earth! No computer games allowed for me, I'm afraid. I'd love to look over someone else's shoulder for ten minutes, sometime, just to get a feeling for it, though.

By the way, I'm taking the girls to the Harry Potter studio tour in London in a month. I hope it lives up to its reputation!

ETA: I love the idea of a Middle-Earth "Renaissance Faire"! A day spent wandering around LOTR-themed places! Sure!
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

How old are your girls Teremia? How much they enjoy it will be directly related to how well they know the movies. Its a bit like us walking into the LotR Exhibit. I was walking around going "Oooh, Saruman's telescope thing" and "Look its Aiglos!!!". Casual visitors were more like "Cool... movie stuff..." :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

The girls are all 15, and grew up steeeeeeped in Harry Potter, so I think they will get a kick out of it.

(We are going to have a practically Alatarian weekend, in the sense of "seeing all the things!"--it's the girls' birthday season, so their collective present is London, with Saturday's "50th Anniversary Dr. Who" celebration during the day, followed by the Harry Potter excursion in the evening, and then nose-bleed seats for Matilda the following day before we collapse back onto the Eurostar. A few hours resting in bunkbeds in a family room at the youth hostel in between these events. And, I hope, Indian food before Matilda, because for me a good spicy curry is part of London's magickest magic. :) )
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ooh. Can I come?
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I wish you could!!! I'd love to have another grown-up along to chatter with!

:)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

You'll have a wonderful time, Teremia! We took the kids (aged 10-17) to HP Studios this time last year for the boys' birthday outing and we all loved it. :)

I suppose one could say it takes the magic away to see things that you know are only movie props but of course you can still appreciate the workmanship that goes into bringing a story to life for the screen. Walking through Diagon Alley was probably the highlight for me - and the massive model of Hogwarts...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Alatar,

Out of curiosity, on what LOTRO server do you hang your hat?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Haven't been on in ages, but I'm on the Laurelin EN_RP Server in Europe.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Got it.

Haven't played in a while either, but "Helm's Deep" is coming soon...
Morwenna

Post by Morwenna »

Theme ride: Gawd, I hope not!! :x

I believe the difference between having a Harry Potter ride based on the movies and a LOTR or Hobbit ditto is that Rowling was involved with the movies, but Tolkien was not in favor of any movies made of his works and he despised Disney or what he called Disnification. If someone came up with a Ren-fair sort of thing based on the books, I'd be in favor. Based on the movies--no!!! I'm sorry, but as good as the movies are as movies, the books deserve to have more exposure than the movies!! We all know how many changes for the worse those movies contained! And a theme ride would just cement the movie version in people's minds that much more.

Let's hope the Tolkien Estate quashes this but good.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Morwenna wrote: the books deserve to have more exposure than the movies!! We all know how many changes for the worse those movies contained! And a theme ride would just cement the movie version in people's minds that much more.
Spot on. 8)