Displaying my Tolkien Collectibles! Finally...

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Displaying my Tolkien Collectibles! Finally...

Post by Alatar »

Well, as planned I finally got my display cabinet. While looking around for ideas, I found something that fit most of my needs for a reasonable price, so I went with it.

Here's the Display Cabinet, open and filled. I need to finish cabling the internal spotlight and tidy up the cables. As you can see, the cabinet has three glass shelves, a mirrored back and a marble inlaid base.

On the bottom shelf I have the Arms of the Fellowship, The Crown of Elessar, Helms Deep, The Arms of the Nazgûl and the Cave Trolls Hammer.

Next Shelf up I have Old Friends Bookends, Helm of the WitchKing, The Golden Hall, The Helm of Sauron and The Mace of Sauron

Here's some greater detail, showing the reflection of the Bag end interior side of the Old Friends Bookends.

Next up: Amon Hen, Minas Tirith, Orthanc, Minas Morgul and Weathertop

Top Shelf: Sméagol, Trilogy Tuesday Film Frame, Moria, Nazgûl on Fell Beast and Gollum

Old Friends Bookends in Detail

Details of Moria

The WitchKing was placed on a shelf in the Kitchen, away from little fingers.

Sauron was moved to a matching sideboard, along with the DVDs and Argonath (Which gives you an idea of the scale we're talking here.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Oh! This man is hardcore.

Wonderful display. Congratulations.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Amazing collection, Alatar! And what fun to have it so beautifully displayed.

If I were ever to visit your house, I advise you to make me turn out my pockets and purse before I leave. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

:rofl: Prim!

Very impressive, Alatar! :D

I like the Old Friends bookstands and the Wiki best. :D

I'm wondering how come you have the Extended Edition DVDs in one box, that looks as if you bought them together - didn't you buy them right when they came out?

I'm guessing the red book is a one-volume edition of LOTR? One that's special?

And what are the other small items next to the DVDs?

(Makes me want to post a pic of my Tolkien shelf, too. :D Not that it's particularly impressive - but wouldn't it be cool if we all took a pic of how we have our books or collectibles arranged? :D )
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Primula_Baggins wrote:If I were ever to visit your house, I advise you to make me turn out my pockets and purse before I leave. :P
And her umbrella. =:)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

I'm guessing the red book is a one-volume edition of LOTR? One that's special?

And what are the other small items next to the DVDs?
The "Red Book" is Howard Shore's <snip three paragraphs of gushing> complete score to FOTR; the other three are the limited edition soundtracks. ;)

Alatar, very nice! Wouldn't I love to ogle this in person... :D

ttbk
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:And her umbrella. =:)
:rotfl:
ttbk wrote:The "Red Book" is Howard Shore's <snip three paragraphs of gushing> complete score to FOTR; the other three are the limited edition soundtracks.
Wow - thanks, ttbk! :) (Wouldn't have minded your gushing. :D )
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
Primula_Baggins wrote:If I were ever to visit your house, I advise you to make me turn out my pockets and purse before I leave. :P
Curses! Foiled by Voronwë's profound knowledge of Tolkien! :x
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Primula_Baggins wrote:
Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
Curses! Foiled by Voronwë's profound knowledge of Tolkien! :x
I see that Bilbo isn't the only burglar in the Baggins family. ;)

(Lobelia, who seems to have a fancy for silver spoons, is a Baggins only by marriage. She's one of those "blockheaded Bracegirdles from Hardbottle" that Bilbo spoke of. :D )

That is a very impressive collection, Alatar, and the display case is especially nice. :)

I'd be embarassed to show you my entire Tolkien collection. Prim would need a several large carts to haul it all away. I can't say which piece is my favorite, but one of the more unusual pieces I have is a large coffee table edition of The Hobbit with illustrations from the Rankin-Bass made-for-TV movie. I had even saved the article that appeared in TV Guide magazine the week that the movie appeared on TV (Nov 19, 1977). The book was a Christmas gift from my folks. :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Old_Tom_Bombadil wrote:I see that Bilbo isn't the only burglar in the Baggins family. ;)

(Lobelia, who seems to have a fancy for silver spoons, is a Baggins only by marriage. She's one of those "blockheaded Bracegirdles from Hardbottle" that Bilbo spoke of. :D )
Prim's namesake was, of course, also only a Baggins by marriage, being by birth a Brandybuck (a daughter of old Master Gorbadoc) and a Took on her mother's side (her mother Mirabella being the youngest daughter of the Old Took).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

truehobbit wrote:(Makes me want to post a pic of my Tolkien shelf, too. :D Not that it's particularly impressive - but wouldn't it be cool if we all took a pic of how we have our books or collectibles arranged? :D )
A cool idea - I am sure we are all guilty of at least mini-shrines ;).

I would have to clean my room first, though......I have clutter everywhere :roll:
Old_Tom_Bombadil

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Prim's namesake was, of course, also only a Baggins by marriage, being by birth a Brandybuck (a daughter of old Master Gorbadoc) and a Took on her mother's side (her mother Mirabella being the youngest daughter of the Old Took).
True, true. So what's with the Baggins boys marrying all these cleptos? :?
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

There were so respectable, they didn't even imagine someone would do something like that - I put it down to naivety ;).

Drogo just sounds like a trusting soul, doesn't he?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I think I'm pretty Tookish, really. And I grew up boating.

Old_Tom, I have that same edition of the Hobbit! I inherited it from my grandmother.

It's gorgeous, but I actually hid it away for a long time because I didn't want my kids' mental images of hobbits to be the Rankin-Bass version. I read them the Hobbit and LotR without any pictures at all.

I looked on AbeBooks once and the book is quite valuable. Not that I'd part with it.

I don't actually have much in the way of Tolkien possessions! Well, there's the Men of Middle-earth calendar Anthy gave me—it's Frodo month! :love: And Mr. Prim's wedding present to me 25 years ago was the red one-volume LotR, but sadly the binding has cracked down the middle of the spine and I'm afraid to read it—I read the old paperback editions we have lying around. And I have the Sil, and Unfinished Tales, and a few volumes of HoMe. (And the films, both versions, and the scores, and the BBC radio show. . . .)

If I could have anything film-related, I'd want Sting, I think. I'm not sure why. It's just pleasing and hobbity and relates to Frodo and Sam's quest, which is the heart of LotR to me.

Edit: There was one other thing—the same little company that made the fabric for the film's Elven-cloaks used to sell throws made from the same material. Beautiful and even useful. But so expensive! :shock:
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Okay, since we're confessing our dark secrets...

I have the Rankin/Bass book, too. And the soundtrack of the television movie, on two vinyl records.

Ah! I can't tell you the weight that has dropped from my shoulders!
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

The fact that Orson Bean ever went beyond game shows to do Tolkien in whatever aspect, is the penultimate hypocrisy.
I mean reallly.
Gavin MacLeod would have been a much better choice. :wimper:

Where in the bloody hell is the rolling eyes icon when you need it?
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

What I loved were the blue Elves with three toes.

And the Elf king, with a heavy German accent.
Old_Tom_Bombadil

Primula_Baggins wrote:If I could have anything film-related, I'd want Sting, I think. I'm not sure why. It's just pleasing and hobbity and relates to Frodo and Sam's quest, which is the heart of LotR to me.

Edit: There was one other thing—the same little company that made the fabric for the film's Elven-cloaks used to sell throws made from the same material. Beautiful and even useful. But so expensive! :shock:
I remember you talking about your desire for Sting over at TORC. I was given one of those Stings created by MasterReplica that, with a flip of a button, glow blue and/or make sword clanging sounds when you move it. :D

Those cloaks are outrageously expensive! I understand that the wool is from a particularly kind of sheep that there only very few of. :roll:
Whistler wrote:Ah! I can't tell you the weight that has dropped from my shoulders!
:rofl:
Holbytla wrote:Where in the bloody hell is the rolling eyes icon when you need it?
Yeah, where is it?! :x

Oh wait, it's up there. *points to previous part of post* :oops:
Whistler wrote:And the Elf king, with a heavy German accent.
Ja, Herr Oakenshield, vhat vere you doink in der forest?!

(Who's idea was it to have Otto Preminger play Thranduil, anyway? :? )
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Oh, come on, you know you all love the Rankin/Bass version, somewhere deep down....

Maybe...buried...

But who can forget the Battle of Five Armies portrayed in moving black dots?

As someone on TORc put it, you could accept the evil, Germanic wood-elves better if you worked under the assumption that noone had read LotR ;).

In all fairness, they do make Thranduil blond. So, they got one detail right....

But in all honesty, I must admit that that was my introduction to Tolkien. My family had both the Hobbit and Return of the King on video (my aunt taped it off HBO for us) so I watched it a dozen times or so before ever picking up the books. Strangely, I don't think I connected the movies w/ the books at all.... It didn't damage me, I don't think, though I should probably admit that the reason EW didn't become my instant image of Frodo was mostly because the animated Frodo from R/B is firmly entrenched in my memory somewhere. Not really, but there is something vaguely soulful about his eyes :P My Mom had a wooden statue that she named "Bilbo Baggins," and again, I never connected that with the books or the movies. The part of my mind that forges connections didn't develop until later ;).
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I quite like the Rankin Bass Hobbit, and my kids love it. Rankin Bass Return of the King, however, is like watching a car wreck. Its painful, but you just can't look away.

I just received that Master Replicas Sting Tom! Looks very nice, but the display stand is a bit disappointing.

Hobby, the Display Box was bought for (I think) $5 in the US on a special website for the purpose. The offer wasn't available in Europe so I got one of my cousins to buy it and send it on.

My first true collectible was probably the 1987 Tolkien Calendar. It's still one of my favourites.

I must organise some pics of the rest of my collection. I have about 2 shelves of books and another two of games. I also have framed posters of The Hobbit 50th Anniversary, the three Movie Posters, the "I wish the ring hadn't come to me" poster and another sepia toned LotR Poster. Then there's the three Puzz3D Jigsaws, the 3 1000 piece Jigsaws in the Octagonal boxes, the 3D Sculpture of Gandalf and my Mithril Miniatures. The BBC Hobbit, BBC Lotr (Tape and CD versions), Tolkien Reads from LotR, The Hobbit read by Martin Shaw. All the soundtracks (except Rankin Bass).

I would love to get my hands on one of those Filmbooks of Rankin Bass. Also, there was a graphic novel produced of LotR which I'd kill to find. I have the Hobbit one.

Addiction is a terrible thing.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End