Silmarillion 2nd US Edition

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
CosmicBob

Silmarillion 2nd US Edition

Post by CosmicBob »

I am currently re-reading The Silmarillion and reading the 2nd Edition for the first time. I'm reading this illustrated version.

So far, it's just as interesting as the 1st edition. Plus it has the letter to Waldman as sort on an introduction. But the best part of it is the map. This map looks like it was photo-copied directly from Tolkien's map, it has multiple colors. If you look at the Amazon listing, someone has posted a poor quality photo of it. It's a much better map that the 2 color one in the original edition.

One thing I'm not too happy with is the glossy paper. It reflects too much and makes it difficult to read without making a lot of adjustments while reading. Plus the book weighs a ton.

And, as I expected, after reading Arda Reconstructed I'm appreciating this more. In fact, I had to stop on The Flight Of The Noldor and dig up the full Oath of Fëanor in Morgoth's Ring because of Arda Reconstructed (it's also in that book)!
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Re: Silmarillion 2nd US Edition

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

CosmicBob wrote:One thing I'm not too happy with is the glossy paper. It reflects too much and makes it difficult to read without making a lot of adjustments while reading. Plus the book weighs a ton.
I suggest putting the Nasmith illustrated version aside and picking up an inexpensive paperback copy for reading. IMO the nice illustrated editions are nice for collecting, and for looking at the fantastic artwork, of course, but for reading there are better options.