The Lord of the Rings Symphony Out On CD

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
CosmicBob

The Lord of the Rings Symphony Out On CD

Post by CosmicBob »

The Lord Of The Rings Symphony came out on CD. Apparently back in September and I was unaware of it until last week. When I ordered it and it came over the weekend.

I am just starting to listen to it now. It's very good. I saw a live performance several years ago, and the soloist, Kaitlyn Lusk, was quite good in it and she's the one on the recording, so that's a plus.

The price seems to vary randomly on Amazon. I bought it last week and it was $23.00. The next day the price was $23.01, today it's $22.98. But I think it's worth it.
Folca

Post by Folca »

And I just ordered it because of you. Thanks for the heads up.
"Ut Prosim"
"There are some things that it is better to begin than refuse, even though the end may be dark" Aragorn
"Those who commit honorable acts need no forgiveness"
http://killology.com/sheep_dog.htm
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I see Amazon sells the 6 MP3s for 8.99. Is there any reason to shell out for the CD instead?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Folca

Post by Folca »

I just prefer hard copies over downloads. :)
"Ut Prosim"
"There are some things that it is better to begin than refuse, even though the end may be dark" Aragorn
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I do too, for music I plan to actively listen to, as opposed to just having on. I think as much as anything else there's a "what we get too cheap we esteem too little" mentality at play in my case. :)
Folca

Post by Folca »

Ax, I completely agree with that mindset especially when it comes to things like music and gear I rely on.
"Ut Prosim"
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

Especially with choral/orchestral music like this, compression can become an issue. IIRC, the MP3 versions of the Complete Recordings sets had noticeable distortion in some parts. (mainly with the choir)

I did download this (which I never do, but it was on sale, plus I had Amazon MP3 credits, so I essentially got it for free), I can tell the difference between it and what a CD would probably sound like, but it isn't terrible.

I'm still deciding whether or not to pick up the CD set; probably not, there is not really any rearrangement for the concert hall -- the music is culled verbatim from the flim score, and with just a couple exceptions it is exclusively from the single disc soundtracks.

There are nuances to the performance and recording that are interesting and fresh, but it still doesn't feel different enough from what is already on disc to make me sure I need to buy it.

Kaitlyn Lusk, the soloist of note, has a fantastic voice, but I don't care much for her interpetations of Gollum's Song and Into the West.

The FOTR section makes for a decent selection of highlights, and I rather like it as a very trimmed down way to experience the score; TTT and ROTK feel very rushed and disjointed to me, though.

The marvel of these scores, to me, is largely the development and variation of the themes, the Symphony does not reveal much of this. This is probably a problem inherent to the task of representing 10+ hours of music in a single concert, so I will not complain too much. (And, indeed, I loved the experience both times I've heard it live)

I would have loved to see Shore further develop and expand on themes and ideas from the score to create a more unique symphonic experience (e.g. Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky canata, Vaughan Williams turning Scott of the Antarctic into his 7th Symphony, or John Willams Star Wars suite or rerecording of Jaws for the LP album..Shore is no strangerto this sort of thing, his album for Aviator is largely, even mostly, made of music that was not composed for the film), but even if that had been the intent of the project (which I dint think it was), the time crunch of getting it prepared before ROTK opened would likely have made it impossible. (The Symphony was first played in November, 2003)

(/geek) :upsidedown:
Folca

Post by Folca »

You know way more about music than I ever will, so I will take your word for it...and I have never liked any interpretation of Gollum's Song. :D
"Ut Prosim"
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I am so attached to Annie Lennox's original "Into the West" that I don't think I could hear a similar version without comparing it. It would have to get seriously out of the box.

"Gollum's Song" was written with Bjork in mind as the vocalist, but she got pregnant so they went with a soundalike. It suffered as a result.

I have heard the LOTR Symphony live with the St. Louis Symphony, a pretty competent outfit, and I agree with TTBK. It's too long to be highlights and too short to really reflect the scope. They need about four hours with an intermission to get the scale of the thing across.

But the percussion is fun live. :D
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Gollum's Song is my favorite by far of the ending songs.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Folca

Post by Folca »

And mine has always been "May It Be." "Gollum's Song" just sounds off to me, in relation to the character. But I struggle to be sympathetic towards Gollum anyway, and that doesn't help. "Into the West" is a great song, but "May It Be" ellicits a resolute sense in me, and the sense that there is still much up ahead. That same desire is what makes me a horrible person to go hiking with...not content with the trail, or the "end" of a trail either. Always want to keep going.
"Ut Prosim"
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'll have to look into getting this. (I'm late to the game, as usual. And hi, TTBK! :wave: )

I decided Into the West would be great for my funeral. :D May It Be is wonderful, too. I can't say that I'm overly fond of Gollum's Song.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I love May it Be too, but my favourite choice for my funeral would be "Use Well the Days", (also sung by Annie Lennox) since the words are such a fitting message to those I am leaving behind.

http://youtu.be/3dauR_uRt-w
Last edited by Elentári on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I think for my funeral it would have to be Bilbo's Last Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bYTLAXOC1Y

Day is ended, dim my eyes,
but journey long before me lies.
Farewell, friends! I hear the call.
The ship's beside the stony wall.
Foam is white and waves are grey;
beyond the sunset leads my way.
Foam is salt, the wind is free;
I hear the rising of the Sea.

Farewell, friends! The sails are set,
the wind is east, the moorings fret.
Shadows long before me lie,
beneath the ever-bending sky,
but islands lie behind the Sun
that I shall raise ere all is done;
lands there are to west of West,
where night is quiet and sleep is rest.

Guided by the Lonely Star,
beyond the utmost harbour-bar,
I'll find the heavens fair and free,
and beaches of the Starlit Sea.
Ship, my ship! I seek the West,
and fields and mountains ever blest.
Farewell to Middle-earth at last.
I see the Star above my mast!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Elen, I've never heard that before! The beginning poem is my signature on one of my email accounts. :)

Alatar, I've never heard that one either. :love: The music is lovely, like the ocean swells.

So is it okay if I steal both of these? ;)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Sure! :D

(btw, I found a better video with lyrics so I edited it into my previous post)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes