More From Morgoth's Ring

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
CosmicBob

More From Morgoth's Ring

Post by CosmicBob »

I've been re-reading "Morgoth's Ring" (because I read "Arda Reconstructed" and it spurred me on). I have noticed something in my reading of these later writings that I think I might have missed before. That's the way I pronounce "Middle-earth". I have always pronounced it with the accent on "earth", or no accent at all. But much of the writing in "Morgoth's Ring" has it written as "the Middle-earth", so I have for some reason pronounced it with the accent on "Middle".

Is this something unique to me? I don't recall hearing Tolkien pronounce it, but it might be on the recordings he made. What do y'all think?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I can't say that I have ever pronounced it one way or the other. Hmmm?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

"The" would change the emphasis, because it means you're specifying which of several earths you're talking about (the middle one). "Middle-earth" alone is a place name and "middle" doesn't need emphasis there.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

Primula Baggins wrote:"The" would change the emphasis, because it means you're specifying which of several earths you're talking about (the middle one). "Middle-earth" alone is a place name and "middle" doesn't need emphasis there.
I thought that too. But then should it not be spelled: "the middle-earth", without the capitalized "M"?

This all comes because I was reading the text aloud so I wouldn't read too fast.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

No, a name is a name. Especially in British usage, it retains the capitals. "The Queen is not amused."

In modern American usage, this is changing in some ways; for example, it's no longer usual to write, "In the President's address this morning. . . ." He's "the president," lowercase. But he's "President Obama" when the title appears right before his name, because then it is a title and properly should be capitalized.

This may be why you're wondering.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King