2011 Tolkien Calendar will be Cor Blok

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Primula Baggins wrote:That should have been required reading on Tolkien boards during the runup to the LotR films. :D
Actually, it should be required reading for anyone about to walk into a movie or theater or any kind of dramatic adaptation of a beloved book.

Honestly, the Cor Blok stuff is growing on me. I wasn't too sure about it at first blush, but I'm liking it better each time I look at it. Can't really articulate why though.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm trying to figure out, in a philosophical sense, what the purpose of such illustration is. It is certainly not trying to imagine in any sort of detail what the scene might actually have looked like - the mumak (not even a saddle on it, let alone a tower?), the appearances of the Southrons and the hobbits, it's all very generic. I don't think it conveys the mood of the scene through colors and composition, either.

What, then, does it bring to the experience?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

It's not an illustration. That's the crux. It's a work of art drawn from a text. To be particular, it's the artist's impression of the action and emotion of the moment, rendered with a "folk art" or "primitivist" approach.

All the other stuff you mention is in the text and the reader's mind already. ;)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote:What, then, does it bring to the experience?
:scratch: Is a beautiful (in the eye of whatever beholder) picture not enough?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I dunno, is it?

If we did not have the knowledge of the text to explain the picture, what would we think of it? Does it make a difference whether or not our impression would be close to what the text conveys?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote:I dunno, is it?

If we did not have the knowledge of the text to explain the picture, what would we think of it?
I saw it and liked it before reading the post explaining what it was. Learning what it was supposed to be didn't change my impression. :)

(edit to fix tags)
Last edited by yovargas on Fri May 28, 2010 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I removed the discussion about sauronsfinger's insulting post to Henneth Annûn to avoid continuing to disrupt this thread.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

Just not for me, and its fine if others like it. I'll pass on the 2011 calendar. It actually brings up a point of thought for me. I wonder why a "App" hasn't been made for a Tolkien Calendar for those who have cell phones or an iTouch where they could be used? Certainly there is money to be made there. I'll have to see if someone has done that who has the license.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.