BBC Radio Dramatization of The Hobbit

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

BBC Radio Dramatization of The Hobbit

Post by ArathornJax »

Over at The OneRing.Net were going to listen to and discuss the BBC's Radio Dramatization of The Hobbit. Here is the link if you want to head over and see the schedule. The CD's are broken up into chapters and were going to discuss a chapter every 2 weeks except over Thanksgiving and Christmas when we'll take a break. Should be fun.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I saw that. I hope you enjoy the discussion (I don't own it, and I've never listened to it, so I won't be participating).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Just noticed in my latest catalogue from The Book People that they are offerring the BBC Radio adaptations CD collection (The Hobbit & LoTR) at a rather attractive price of £22 plus p&p...

It's about time I replaced my old audio cassette version of LotR! :D
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

That's an absolutely fantastic deal!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

I can't say I liked the Radio Hobbit. There are all sorts of niggles with it, not least being the way Thorin's name is pronounced. It's not a patch on LOTR.

The better BBC Hobbit was the Jackanory version with Bernard Cribbins in the late 70s on the TV. For non-Brits Jacakanory was a programme where a book would be read by a well known person. Even Prince Charles did one. The Hobbit was doen over several days but with multiple actors taking the parts.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Is there a copy available anywhere precious?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I tried searching a month or so ago, but only came up with this:

gives a brief flavour for those who are wondering what it was like... (and I count myself among the fortunate who fondly remember the original broadcasts!)

Last edited by Elentári on Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

The wikipedia entry on Hobbit adaptations reports David Wood (the one on the right in the glasses) as saying that the Tolkien Estate has prevented a video release.
Samwise Hobson

Jackanory's October 1979 adaptation of 'The Hobbit'

Post by Samwise Hobson »

Elentári wrote:I tried searching a month or so ago, but only came up with this:

http://youtu.be/1efGqdPtZPg

gives a brief flavour for those who are wondering what it was like... (and I count myself among the fortunate who fondly remember the original broadcasts!)

Like you, Elentári, I was old enough to watch and understand those broadcasts, my first experience of Tolkien's works. They made an impression on me, though a delayed one, as it was two years later before I began to read the book. The occasion was my family moving house, and me coming across a forgotten copy of The Hobbit, and eventually reading it to pieces. The rest, for me, is history... :)
Voronwë the Faithful

And here you are. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Somewhere we've got a thread about how people came to discover Tolkien. I should try to unearth that this weekend.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Zapruder 313

Re: BBC Radio Dramatization of The Hobbit

Post by Zapruder 313 »

OK, I know that this thread is three years old, but I am coming late to the party . . . :-)

The "Jackanory" version of "The Hobbit" was my first exposure to Tolkien, too. I was seven years old when it was broadcast in October 1979, and it literally changed my life: here I am, posting on a Tolkien forum 35 years later, because of how much impact that programme had on me. I haven't seen it since, although I would dearly love to, but clearly I now list "The Silmarillion" among my very favourite books in some part because of how much of an impression Bernard Cribbins' portayal of Bilbo made on me as a child.

The programme itself may be unobtainable, but I recently learned that the unabridged soundtrack was released on CD (ISBN 978-1471358371) in October 2013, so I will at least get to hear with adult ears what it was that captured my childhood imagination so completely.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Oh fantastic! Thanks for this Zapruder - They have it on Amazon, so I'm ordering my copy right away! (can get a brand new one even cheaper from in the new/used offers, as well!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hobbit-Jack ... 1471358372
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Welcome to the party, Zapruder.
Zapruder 313

Post by Zapruder 313 »

Many thanks for the welcome, Voronwë, and thank you for creating this place for Tolkien fans to gather!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Added to my Wish List!
Zapruder 313

Post by Zapruder 313 »

So the "Jackanory" CD has been ordered, but it is going to be a Christmas present from my wife, which means I have to wait nine months! I've waited 35 years to hear this again, so it shouldn't be a problem waiting (yeah, right . . . ), but if anyone hears it first a report would be most welcome :-)
Voronwë the Faithful

I kinda hope you will be first. It seems like it would be fitting. That having been said, I think I may well pick up a copy myself. I've never heard it!

Maybe you can lead a group discussion of it at some point in the future. :)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I got a notification yesterday that my copy has been despatched, due any time after Thursday, so looks like I will probably be the first to listen!
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Christmas comes early for the birthday girl. :love: