The Shibboleth of Fëanor

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I've been thinking about this thread recently. So often, disagreements come from the different sides' differing perspectives about the use of language. Often one will take offense at something in what the other person said that the other person did not mean to suggest, simply because they are thinking about two different things. This happens in political dialogue, religious discussions, and even in every day life.

Symbols are, of course, imperfect, and there is no real way for two minds to directly connect to each other (although sometimes it seems to be remarkably close to happening in some cases). All too often, things that are meant to be bridges become barriers.

:cry:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

V?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

If there were no words, if there were no effort to communicate, there would be no chance of misunderstanding or anger, and no chance of a barrier. But there would also be no chance of understanding, and no chance of a bridge.

In fact, in this medium, there would be no relationship at all.

We have to try. We're here because we do try.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

:hug:
Voronwë the Faithful

Time to bump the namesake thread of this forum. I can't emphasize how important I think the concepts expressed in this little essay/story are.

So often, disagreements come from the different sides' differing perspectives about the use of language. Often one will take offense at something in what the other person said that the other person did not mean to suggest, simply because they are thinking about two different things. This happens in political dialogue, religious discussions, and even in every day life.

Symbols are, of course, imperfect, and there is no real way for two minds to directly connect to each other (although sometimes it seems to be remarkably close to happening in some cases). All too often, things that are meant to be bridges become barriers.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Is there anything in particular that has happened recently to make you bring this up?
Voronwë the Faithful

No, not at all. I just like to bump this thread every year or so. I think it is important (but every time I do so, one or more of my sweet and caring friends here worries about why I did so).
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:hug:
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Thanks for bumping it. Sometimes I don't see things the first 5 times you bump them. :roll:

Recently I went to the American Indian Film Festival and saw yet more examples of how a bridge can be seen by some as a connector and by others as a breach of defenses. There are so many stories of Indian children being forcibly taken from their homes at the tender age of 10 and put in boarding schools where their native language and culture were literally beaten out of them. All were required to speak the "common speech" in order to become useful members of the wider society.

You can see similar treatments in the movie "Rabbit Proof Fence" about the treatment of Australian Aborigines.

So much of culture is in the language, and to kill the language is the first step to killing the distinct culture. In Middle Earth, everyone seemed to know the Common Speech, and the Hobbits seem to have lost their original tongue. Did they lose some of their culture with it?
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Did they really loose their language? Gollum seems to have no problems understanding Bilbo, and he'd been stuck under the mountain for almost 500 years. In terms of English, we are talking Chaucer vs. Dickens, if I got my timelines right.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, the Hobbits abandoned their own language in favor of the Common Speech, Westron, which was basically the language of Númenor, "though they kept a few words of their own, as well as their own names of months and days, and a great store of personal names out of the past". This happened before Sméagol's time, which is why Gollum was able to understand Bilbo, Frodo, Aragorn, Gandalf, etc.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Thanks, V. Do you remember the explanation for that? I don't offhand recall when hobbits lived closely enough with Men that Westron would be so important to them.

Out of story, of course, it was pretty important that the hobbits can speak to men, or things would get really complicated.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

LotR Appendix F ON HOBBITS
The Hobbits of the Shire and of Bree had at this time, for probably a thousand years, adopted the Common Speech. They used it in their own manner freely and carelessly; though the more learned among them had still at their command a more formal language when occasion required.

There is no record of any language peculiar to Hobbits. In ancient days they seem always to have used the languages of Men near whom, or among whom, they lived. Thus they quickly adopted the Common Speech after they entered Eriador, and by the time of their settlement at Bree they had already begun to forget their former tongue. This was evidently a Mannish language of the upper Anduin, akin to that of the Rohirrim; though the southern Stoors appear to have adopted a language related to Dunlendish before they came north to the Shire.[83]

Of these things in the time of Frodo there were still some traces left in local words and names, many of which closely resembled those found in Dale or in Rohan. Most notable were the names of days, months, and seasons; several other words of the same sort (such as mathom and smial) were also still in common use, while more were preserved in the place-names of Bree and the Shire. The personal names of the Hobbits were also peculiar and many had come down from ancient days.

Hobbit was the name usually applied by the Shire-folk to all their kind. Men called them Halflings and the Elves Periannath. The origin of the word hobbit was by most forgotten. It seems, however, to have been at first a name given to the Harfoots by the Fallohides and Stoors, and to be a worn-down form of a word preserved more fully in Rohan: holbytla 'hole-builder'.

Under "Translation", Tolkien also goes on to say that the Hobbits' Common Speech could be likened to a rustic dialect, whereas in Gondor and Rohan a more antique language was used, more formal and more terse.

Full text available online here
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

.....their former tongue. This was evidently a Mannish language of the upper Anduin, akin to that of the Rohirrim; though the southern Stoors appear to have adopted a language related to Dunlendish before they came north to the Shire.
In other words, T was using Old English words for Shire colloquialisms like mathom, but Bree/Buckland/Marish got a touch of Celtic as well. :D

But, yes, it's quite true that the Hobbits like everyone else* in Eriador adopted the Adunaic-based Westron.

Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

solicitr wrote:
.....their former tongue. This was evidently a Mannish language of the upper Anduin, akin to that of the Rohirrim; though the southern Stoors appear to have adopted a language related to Dunlendish before they came north to the Shire.
In other words, T was using Old English words for Shire colloquialisms like mathom, but Bree/Buckland/Marish got a touch of Celtic as well. :D

But, yes, it's quite true that the Hobbits like everyone else* in Eriador adopted the Adunaic-based Westron.

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

The exceptions, and disagreements, and obscurities are part of what makes it all feel real. Tolkien's at the far, far opposite end of the spectrum from the kind of failure of imagination that I've seen summed up by "It was raining on Ceti Alpha Prime that night."
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Infidel

Post by Infidel »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
I find it very interesting to note that for all of her wisdom and understanding, Galadriel was so motivated by her negative feeling towards Fëanor. Indeed, I believe it was through these negative feelings that “the same evil” fell upon her mind. There is a very interesting--and telling, I think--footnote to this. In the text, Galadriel and Fëanor are described as "the greatest of the Eldar of Valinor" (who were "unfriends forever"). In the footnote, Tolkien added:
Who together with the greatest of all the Eldar, Lúthien Tinúviel, daughter of Elu Thingol, are the chief matter of the legends and histories of the Elves
What a fascinating statement. A whole dissertation could be written describing how these three characters “are the chief matter of the legends and histories of the Elves,” and explaining why Lúthien was "the greatest of all the Eldar."
I have always read the "who" as referring back to the Eldar, rather than to Fëanor and Galadriel.
Voronwë the Faithful

No, it is quite clear that it is referring to Galadriel and Fëanor.

The text says:
Even among the Eldar she was accounted beautiful, and her hair was held a marvel unmatched. It was golden like the hair of her father and her foremother Indis, but richer and more radiant, for its gold was touched by some memory of the star- like silver of her mother; and the Eldar said that the light of the Two Trees, Laurelin and Telperion, had been snared in her tresses. Many thought that this saying first gave to Fëanor the thought of imprisoning and blending the light of the Trees that later took shape in his hands as the Silmarils. For Fëanor beheld the hair of Galadriel with wonder and delight. He begged three times for a tress, but Galadriel would not give him even one hair. These two kinsfolk, the greatest of the Eldar of Valinor,(14) were unfriends for ever.

And then the Footnote (14) says:
Who together with the greatest of all the Eldar, Lúthien Tinúviel, daughter of Elu Thingol, are the chief matter of the legends and histories of the Elves
It could not be clearer that the "Who" refers to "these two kinsfolk, the greatest of the Eldar of Valinor" (e.g., Fëanor and Galadriel), who are being group with Lúthien, the greatest of all the Eldar (even though she was from Beleriand, not Valinor). I don't really see how any other interpretation is possible.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Lúthien, the greatest of all the Eldar (even though she was from Beleriand, not Valinor)
But nonetheless (half) Elda, since her father was an Elf of the Journey and not an Avar. In fact Thingol was accounted among the Calaquendi.