LOTR Board games (and other cool Tolkien stuff)

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

No, I know that's what they call it now. It's just I regret the loss of the ASL heritage: I've been playing ASL for about 25 years now, and I've probably played more games of it than anything else.

Never played it using Vassal, though.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Primula Baggins wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to play it online somehow? Here? If one person has a copy?

I have the LotR Trivia boardgame, btw...

...just sayin' ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I had a look at this. There's a complex and simple version of the rules. The simple version would probably work online. Essentially, there are 14 steps on the path to Mt Doom, and each correct question moves you on a step and each incorrect moves you back (I think). Each question has 4 possible answers. Novices choose between 3 of the answers, Moderate players choose between 4, and Experienced are expected to get the answer directly with no help.

So, I can ask the questions and keep track of the gameboard. Just let me know who wants to play, and class yourselves as either Novice, Moderate or Experienced.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I just brushed the dust off our game and refreshed my memory of the rules - that's the "short game" you're referring to, right, Al? Yeah, that should work easily enough.

I'm up for it...probably safest to class myself as Moderate, I guess!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'll play. I'm a novice.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ya right.
Voronwë the Faithful

:D Well, I've never played the game, so I must be a novice!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

If you're a novice, I have never even heard of Tolkien. Just sayin'.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ok, so we have so far:

Elen: Moderate
Voronwë: Expert

(I'm guessing anyone on here will be either Moderate or Expert)
Voronwë the Faithful

Honestly, I doubt I am any more expert about LOTR than anyone else around here, but I'll own it.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ok, new thread started for the game. Need two more players!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

How will we play it?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Simple. Each turn I'll ask a question of the person whose turn it is. If they answer correctly they move forward a place. If not, they move back a place. A correct answer can be followed by up to two more questions, but if any question is answered incorrectly, the player goes back to where they started. An optional rule allows the next person to answer the previous wrong answer at no penalty.

Whoever reaches Mount Doom first, wins!
Voronwë the Faithful

So does the player have the choice of either answering the last player's missed question, or a new question?

What is the difference between novice, moderate and expert? Are there different sets of questions for each?
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Count me in. I'll play as an expert, though one, I am not. The worst that can happen is that I suffer humiliating defeat.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë wrote:What is the difference between novice, moderate and expert? Are there different sets of questions for each?
No, we all have the same questions. As Al explained earlier, each card has the question and 4 answers on it, (the correct one being bolded), with one in brackets as an extra possible answer. Basically the Novice, Moderate and Expert refers to your depth of knowledge of the books. Experts would be expected to answer the question without the help of the multiple choice answers to choose from, where as the Moderate would be given all 4 choose choose from and the Novices only the three, (without the bracketed one,) simplifying their choice a bit.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

What Elen said. To be honest, I reckon everyone on here could handle Expert!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I dunno....some of those questions are pretty fiendish unless you're someone who reads the books religiously every year...

Anyway, I reckon it's more fun seeing the possible answers to choose from - sometimes it helps, sometimes it makes you doubt yourself! ;)
~Diana Cortes
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Count me in. But not as an Expert. :P Moderate, I guess.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

You're added Inanna! Anyone else for the last slot?