LOTR Board games (and other cool Tolkien stuff)

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Another one? I already collected a load of the Iron Crown Enterprises "Middle Earth: The Wizards" and the Decipher "Lord of the Rings" CCG.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

The blurb on the Leisure Games site says that the core set has 226 cards and there will be monthy releases of 60 card set. Maybe not a true CCG, but certainly a step towards the Dark Side.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

This looks interesting though Aravar. The releases are new adventures, much like additional Ready-to-play modules in D&D, or expansions to games like HeroQuest.

How to Play - Part 1
How to Play - Part 2
How to Play - Part 3
How to Play - Part 4
How to Play - Part 5
The Hunt for Gollum is the first Adventure Pack in the Shadows of Mirkwood expansion cycle for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. Gollum has carelessly left a trail of clues in his wake, and Gandalf has commanded you and your companions to follow them and discover where the creature has disappeared to. But be careful, false leads could guide your party in circles, forcing you to begin your hunt anew.

Adventure Packs for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game provide many new options for players. Not only do they expand your available card pool, but they also introduce new quests to challenge your fellowship. These fixed 60 card decks include a new Hero, three copies of nine unique player cards, and the Encounter and Quest cards devoted to the included scenario.

Conflict at the Carrock is the second Adventure Pack in the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. Hot on the trail of Gollum, the heroes venture down the banks of the Anduin, only to hear whispers of a new threat looming.

Conflict at the Carrock contains 60 fixed cards from the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle, continuing the heroes' quest to find and apprehend the creature Gollum. A new hero joins the quest, along with three copies of nine new player cards from all four spheres, a new deck of Encounter cards, and the Conflict at the Carrock Quest cards.

A variety of new player cards offer exciting deck-building options, featuring new and familiar faces. Frodo Baggins is beginning to feel restless in the Shire while the Beorning Beekeepers offer their assistance to anyone willing to help drive the troublesome Trolls away. A Long-beard Mapmaker discovers a hidden Dúnedain Warning that just might help the heroes avoid defeat.
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

I got this for Christmas several years ago:

So far, it's still in the shrink wrap because no one I know will play it with me, knowing full well that I would defeat them. It's based on the movies, but I would still win. I'd like to see one based on the actual books (+Hobbit & Silmarillion).

Also, not a board game, but I have played the Lord of the Rings slot machine. It's an amusing way to fritter your money away. Again, based on the movies though.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I would play with you, but I don't think I've ever been to MN!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

CosmicBob wrote:I'd like to see one based on the actual books

Ask and you shall recieve!

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Trivia ... B0001CU1OM

CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

Alatar wrote:Ask and you shall recieve!

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Trivia ... B0001CU1OM
Ohh...thanks... it's now on my Amazon Wish List. Hopefully some people will see it and purchase this for me! But they still won't play me, I bet. :(
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I have no one to play with, either. :( What we need is an online, multiplayer version so we can have tournaments. ;)

Hello, Bob! :wave:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I wonder if it would be possible to play it online somehow? Here? If one person has a copy?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

I wonder, too. Sounds like a task for a Web Istar. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Should be possible, except of course you would have to work on a level of trust! No looking up or googling!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I don't think that would be a problem. <checks stock of salmon> Nope.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I was looking for a little test project to do in learning a new platform. I might take a look at this, but do I need to worry about copyright lawyers breaking down my door?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

Sadly, that may well be a good question.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

What if each one of us had to buy it, and testify that we had bought it before we were allowed to play the game?

Like, part of the online game was that we pick up a physical trivia card from the game, and then ask that here?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh, I'm sure if this was just a thread going, we'd be OK. After all, only one person needs to own the game when playing IRL. It's making a webapp out of it that is potentially sticky, although I'm not sure whether it is the concept of Trivial Pursuit or the Tolkien's content or both. There are tons of quizzes on the net that seem to be doing fine, though.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, there's a few Boardgame Engines like Vassal out there, but it would probably be easier to run it just as a thread with Photos of the Board and state of play. Let me have a look at it over the weekend!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:love:
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

I had a game of The Hobbit boardgame with Wilko, Hobbituk and Heliona a few weeks ago. It was very easy to pick up. I came last.

There's another expansion to the card game, Journey to Rhosgobel out. I still haven't pciked up the main game.

As an aside I wish Vassal was not referred to as such . It should be VASL as it was orignally developed as an online engine for playing ASL: Advanced Squad Leader, a simple second world war boardgame.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I can't help what its called!

http://www.vassalengine.org/