Arda Reconstructed to be published

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Arda Reconstructed to be published

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

[Note: Many of you have seen this news in the Red Book forum, but I thought I should post it here, as well.]

I am very pleased to announce that my book, Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion, has been accepted for publication by the Lehigh University Press. LUP is a member of the Associated University Presses, who will actually be issuing the formal contract, but I don't anticipate that there should be any problem with that. I don't have any information on when it is likely to be available, or other details, but I will surely post that information when I have it.

Here is a brief description of the book:
In The History of Middle-earth, Christopher Tolkien documents in amazing detail the development of the lifelong work of his father, J.R.R. Tolkien, that would become The Silmarillion. However, neither Christopher Tolkien himself, nor anyone else, has ever thoroughly documented the final step: his actual creation (several years after his father's death) of the published work.

That has finally changed. ARDA RECONSTRUCTED: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion reveals a tapestry woven by Christopher Tolkien from different portions of his father's work that is often quite mind-boggling, with inserts that seemed initially to have been editorial inventions shown to have come from some remote other portion of Tolkien's vast body of work. I demonstrate how material that was written over the course of more than 30 years was merged together. I also make a frank appraisal of the material omitted by Christopher Tolkien (and in a couple of egregious cases the material invented by him) and how these omissions and insertions may have distorted his father's vision of what he considered—even more then The Lord of the Rings—to be his most important work. It is a fascinating portrait of a unique collaboration that reached beyond the grave.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:hooray: :thumbsup: :woohoo:

That is really exciting!!!

Lali
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

How exciting! Congratulations!!! :horse:
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Wow, fabulous!

When can we buy it?
Voronwë the Faithful

Don't know yet, Faramond. I should have more information about that in the coming weeks. I'll let you know!

Thanks guys! I'm pretty excited.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

"Pretty excited." :P

Are you perfectly vertical?

Can you keep from grinning wildly at inappropriate times?

Didn't think so.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

Congratulations, Voronwë!!! :)

ttbk
Glowah, eee chop glowah.
Ya glowah pee chu nee foom
Ah toot dee awe goon daa.

Glory, we found glory.
The power showed us the light,
And now we all live free.

Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
Celebrate the might; (Power!)
Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
Celebrate the love.
kams

Post by kams »

Spectacular! :bow:
Might it be published by the ChiM00t?
Voronwë the Faithful

Don't know yet, but I would tend to doubt it. In any event, I am not, alas expecting to be at the Chicago m00t.
kams

Post by kams »

[Cancels proposed book-signing event]

{sigh} It could have been a highlight of the m00t.
Voronwë the Faithful

Maybe you can get Prim to sign her books. 8)

In any event, I just heard back from the publisher who confirmed that it is likely to a full year before it is published. We are most likely talking about 2009.
kams

Post by kams »

Then we'll all have to m00t at your house in '09.

Prim would you step over here so we can have a little chat, hmm?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'll bring potato salad. :)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

That's fabulous, Voronwë! Congratulations! :woohoo:

*runs off to find half read Sil to read again and get with the program...*
:help:
Texas, Land of the Free, Home of the Tumbleweeds....:tumbleweed:
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Re: Arda Reconstructed to be published

Post by Impenitent »

:hooray:
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I just startled half my colleagues by w00ting out loud! :D

Get yourself locked out of HOF for a few days and this is what happens...hey, I should get myself locked out more often, eh? Such great news!

Vinnie, in the description (which is tantalising!) in the second last sentence, you have used "then" rather than "than" (which I'm pretty sure your proof reader will pick up anyway but I'm anal like that)

Congratulations again Vinnie! :D

Is it going to be published only in the US? Have the rights been dispersed for other places in the world, like the antipodes? Of course, there's always Amazon.

[slinks in to edit back the smilies - got carried away]
[/slinks out again]
Voronwë the Faithful

Impy, that "then" has been in that description for over a year. I refuse to change it. :) But needless to say, there are no misplaced "then"s in the actual manuscript.

I don't have any information about publishing outside the U.S. at this time. (I don't even have a contract yet). That will be something that I will need to check on.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Impy, it is never a good thing when you are locked out of this board. <waggles admonitory finger>

I'm also wondering about international sales. Of course, with Amazon it's not so hard these days to get your hands on foreign editions.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

How on earth did I miss this news before? This is FANTASTIC, Voronwë!!!! Congratulations, from the bottom of my heart.

*sigh*

Now I know two real authors. 8) I think that is excessively kewl. :D

*sighs again*
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Join the crowd, vison. :poke:

You've more than got what it takes.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Amen!