LOTR, Hope, and the Theory of Courage

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

Wonderful post Faramond; all of it but especially
I guess it's appropriate that the ring makes most wearers hidden. It's an escape from the difficulties everyone else presents, the fates they bring. Claiming the ring means listening to no one else, considering no one else. No other voices but the voice of the ring. No fate, no difficult choices. The user of the ring hides inside of it.
Then Ax goes on to say
And yet it's only an illusory escape.
How those two viewpoints summarise the egoism and self deceit of Sauron!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I would argue that Frodo did effectively die on Mt. Doom. Everything between then and the white ship is sort of a bonus round for Frodo, and he seems very detached from it all, like a walking ghost. Once his affairs are in order, he passes away, into the West. Sam was the one whose life really got saved by the Eagles as he goes on to scour the Shire, get the girl and live happily until the time comes for her to to pass.

I think Frodo's greatest act of courage came right at the beginning, when he agreed to carry the ring to Mordor. It's one thing to get out of a big scary mess. It's another to deliberately walk into one, especially knowing what's at stake. Frodo had to know something of what carrying the ring meant just from his journey to Rivendell. Noone would have thought the less of him if he had simply retreated to the quiet life he would leave behind. But he went anyway.

I don't see the ring's powers as a means of escape, really. Yes, the ring can turn wearers invisible, but it sounds like that's the most basic of its capabilities. It does even more for those who know how to use it. The ring is about power, and there is a lot of power in being hidden (especially if you are up to no good).
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Is not power of the sort Sauron craved a form of illusory escape from the Music?
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Faramond, that is one of the most insightful posts I have ever read. It makes me think in a totally new way of a book I've read more than 50 times.

The humiliation of Frodo's failure. The escape of the Ring.

Now I'll have to read the whole thing again. 8)
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Excellent thread. Excellent thoughts.

Thanx. :hug:
Dig deeper.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Faramond wrote:Frodo and Sam probably should have died... I guess they knew it. They stayed alive as long as they could, and then their fate came for them...

Life is harder than death. But especially for Frodo. He was all set up for a noble sacrifice, and he didn't get it.
Nice. In support of that, from Letter #246, on Frodo:
He appears at first to have had no sense of guilt (III 224-5): he was restored to sanity and peace. But then he thought that he had given his life in sacrifice: he expected to die very soon. But he did not, and one can observe the disquiet growing in him.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

It comes to mind that when Saruman says that Frodo has become wise and cruel, he's not entirely off the mark. Frodo by that point understands that being allowed to live is not always a mercy. It's not just that the hobbits haven't the right to deal out justice to one such as Saruman, but that justice was already working on him. How long might he have lived with the knowledge of how badly he had screwed up?
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

What would Saruman have thought about as his life spooled out? I screwed up. Yes. What else? I can still repent. I should repent. I know this. I know it better and more clearly than those stupid vacant virtuous hobbits. They don't know a thing. Little cretins stuffing themselves with food and drink until they die, like caged rabbits. And so on ... I think Saruman truly hated those who were more ignorant than he was. They were only worthy of being ruled and controlled. But the final thought that would have tormented Saruman until death was that he could never take the only way out of his misery. I am too proud to ever repent. I cannot be as low as them. I will hold on to the last bit of mastery I have. The only happiness is to rule. He ruled whoever he could, until the end, when he could only rule Wormtongue, and at the end not at all.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Interesting question, Faramond. At the very last, when he was denied mastery of even Wormtongue, he finally looked to those who were his masters - and was utterly rejected:
To the dismay of those that stood by, about the body of Saruman a grey mist gathered, and rising slowly to a great height like smoke from a fire, as a pale shrouded figure it loomed over the Hill. For a moment it wavered, looking to the West; but out of the West came a cold wind, and it bent away, and with a sigh dissolved into nothing.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

I've forgotten about that bit of symbolism --- the wind from the west. It's very disturbing, really. It's a vivid picture of an eternal damnation, though one doesn't have to view it that way.

Usually I just read that and think --- he's dead. This is how a fallen wizard dies. I don't think about the implication that in addition to Saruman dying there is something that is rejecting him.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That is a frightening moment, though I never realized how frightening until I knew more about Middle-earth. A Maia, dissolving into nothing—coming to an absolute end.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Faramond wrote:Usually I just read that and think --- he's dead. This is how a fallen wizard dies. I don't think about the implication that in addition to Saruman dying there is something that is rejecting him.
This gets more and more complicated the more I think about it. What does it mean that a Maia incarnated into a physical body dies? Certainly, Tolkien's conception of the wizards developed over time. The Gandalf (Bladorthin) of The Hobbit certainly was not the Maia Olórin that he became in LOTR (and even more in subsequent writings such as the essay on the Istari published in UT). I mentioned recently the discussion in "Words, Phrases and Passages in the Lord of the Rings" about the word "Fana" meaning the the "visible bodily forms adopted by the Valar and their kind." It is said that "The Valar and Maiar cloaked their true-being in fanar (veils) after the manner of bodies of Elvish-kind."

The suggestion in the passage that I quoted above is that even after Saruman's "Fana" is killed his true-being is rejected by the Valar, or perhaps by Eru Himself. I really am not sure what to make of that.

Cross-posted with Prim.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

We get into the question again of whether there can be irredeemable evil. I'm no theologian, but my instinct is to say no.

I think of the old Sunday School poser of whether God can make a rock so heavy that even he can't move it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Well, as a practical matter I think Saruman was irredeemable because he would never let go of his pride. He couldn't do it, couldn't take the awful humiliation.

I wonder if Tolkien was thinking of the implications of Saruman being a Maia when he wrote his death. I rather think he was just writing what seemed to work for Saruman's character --- the greatness of his fall, the utter ruin of what was once so good. Others would know more about this than me, though.

I don't think Saruman is looking for any forgiveness when he looks to the west before his dissolution. What was he looking for?
Voronwë the Faithful

Faramond wrote:I wonder if Tolkien was thinking of the implications of Saruman being a Maia when he wrote his death. I rather think he was just writing what seemed to work for Saruman's character --- the greatness of his fall, the utter ruin of what was once so good. Others would know more about this than me, though.
That's a big part of what I meant when I said that this gets more and more complicated the more I think about it. It's hard to say exactly what Tolkien was thinking when he was writing LOTR, and how much he filled in later.
I don't think Saruman is looking for any forgiveness when he looks to the west before his dissolution. What was he looking for?
Redemption. Which was not forthcoming because of the lack of humility that you referenced.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Just to get all geek-technical on ya, I would think that Saruman and the other Istari were (in a sanctioned exception to the Rules) actually incarnate in hröar like the Eruhini, not the fanar which ordinarily Ainur could don and doff at will. (This *may* not have been the case with Gandalf the White, who was an Iluvatarian one-off.)
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Faramond wrote:I wonder if Tolkien was thinking of the implications of Saruman being a Maia when he wrote his death. I rather think he was just writing what seemed to work for Saruman's character --- the greatness of his fall, the utter ruin of what was once so good. Others would know more about this than me, though.
I tend to think that Tolkien established a pretty solid foundation for the background of his Istari characters as the writing of LOTR progressed, and so I believe that the implications of Saruman's fate would have been considered carefully. I think it's probably why it feels like such a chilling, almost shocking moment, even for readers that know little of Tolkien's world beyond LOTR. It feels as if there is something more, something mysteriously and yet undeniably profound about this fragile mist of a "spirit" looking to the West before it is scattered into nothingness by a cold, answering wind. Long before I read the Sil, it was one of those deliciously intangible moments where I knew, somehow, that I was witnessing an event which had its meaning deeply rooted in an ancient past "across the seas of water and time" that Gandalf spoke of to Pippin on their ride to Minas Tirith.
I rather think that he was looking to the West with an expectation of acceptance. I don't think he had a clue, really, that his corruption and fall could have such a consequence. I actually don't think poor old Saruman would be capable of really desiring forgiveness or redemption. The wind from the West is not what he expects, and that sigh, to me, signals the sudden, awful realization of what he has lost.
solicitr wrote:Just to get all geek-technical on ya, I would think that Saruman and the other Istari were (in a sanctioned exception to the Rules) actually incarnate in hröar like the Eruhini, not the fanar which ordinarily Ainur could don and doff at will
I most definitely agree.
Voronwë wrote:The suggestion in the passage that I quoted above is that even after Saruman's "Fana" is killed his true-being is rejected by the Valar, or perhaps by Eru Himself. I really am not sure what to make of that.
I don't think that the rejection of Saruman necessarily means the end/death of his "true-being". It's more like an eternal prison sentence for the last strands of his essence, which will remain trapped - invisible, powerless, meaningless - within the physical world.

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Yes- after all, he is an Immortal from before Time. But reduced to impotence, unable ever to become more than a consciousness of misery...what a hideous fate! Very much like Sauron, in fact, whose spirit also was blown away on the wind (and *that* parallel was bloody well deliberate!)
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, I agree with you both.

So wonderful to see you here, Ath! :happydance:
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

It's good to be back. :hug:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi