Who were the most Important Characters in the History of ME?

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Thank you again for everything you've posted here, dna. I just wanted to say that in these parts, "geek" is not an insult. Far from it, if I've got anything to do with it.

I've been called "queen of the geeks" for many reasons (love science, write science fiction, etc., etc.), but my definition of "geek" is anyone who pursues his/her real passions without regard to other people's, or society in general's, opinions of them. It seems to me to be a badge of honor, and I earnestly hope that all three of my children turn out to be much bigger geeks than I am.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

Post by Dân o Nandor on Anduin »

Well I wasn’t insulted at all, Gurgling One, and thanks for the kind words fellow-geek :P :) !
To prove it, let me say R.I.P. Gary Gygax, one of the greats that made my childhood so special! :bow:
(And I do enjoy this, btw!)

Moving on to "the top-50 most dominant Númenoreans in the Story of Arda"… (and as I’ve said Elendil, Isildur, Herumor, and Fuinur aren’t Númenoreans for my purposes, nor is the Mouth of Sauron, or any of the Black Númenorean Nazgûl, or even Valandil, ubiquitous brother of Elendil from the Lost Road, who evidently made his way to Middle-earth).

The top-2 greats, the First and Last Kings, don’t need re-hashing… (Oh, and I did forget to add the unindexed names from the family-tree of Elros in UT, so it looks like I’ll simply have to extend the list to 1125, and probably beyond… :) )

#1. [50th - 190pts] Ar-Pharazôn 25th and last King of Númenor
#2. [83rd -118pts] Elros Tar-Minyatur 1st King of Númenor
#3. [113th – 85pts] Amandil 18th and last Lord of Andúnië
Leader of the Faithful; active resister of Sauron; father of Elendil; responsible for the ships that sailed to Middle-earth; and sailed to Aman for mercy, but was never heard from again. Well deserving of #3.
#4. [128th – 70pts] Tar-Míriel last Queen of Númenor (f)
Something of the Nienor complex here, being moreless inactive, but having a dominant literary place… no one grasping the sinking of Númenor can do so without dramatically seeing Tar-Míriel being the last to scale the peaks before drowning in the cataclysm!.
#5. [132nd – 68pts] Tar-Aldarion 6th King of Númenor
He altered the law of succession to accommodate his daughter; was the master ship-builder of Númenor; and became a counselor of Gil-galad. He is also at the heart of one of the most debatable subjects in all of Arda: his ill-fated marriage with Erendis. Speaking of which...
#6. [138th - 65pts] Erendis Queen of Númenor (f)
Representing the other side of the debate, with no clear resolve, is the lover of trees and the Inlands. Whether a gender debate, or a class debate, or a strictly Númenorean debate, Tolkien’s literary genius comes through in this story with a modern take, and Númenor was never the same after.
#7. [139th – 65pts] Ar-Adûnakhor 20th King of Númenor
The 1st King to take his name in Adûnaic; he persecuted the Faithful, and punished the public use of Elvish; his use of the name ‘Lord of the West’ was a clear rebuff of the Valar. If Númenor’s spiral was at all gradual, he was the most pivotal figure towards its eventual end.
#8. [153rd – 60pts] Tar-Palantír Inziladûn 24th King of Númenor
Another example of good being trumped by evil in Tolkien’s world; Inziladûn, trained in the ways of the Faithful by his mother Inzilbêth, tried to stem the corruption of Númenor, but was overcome by grief, weariness, and his nephew Ar-Pharazôn. He had no son, and left daughter Míriel to her fate.
#9. [177th – 47pts] Tar-Meneldur 5th King of Númenor
He came to the scepter instead of his elder sister Silmariën, which could be seen as the initial wrong of Númenor. Meneldur was wise and philosophical, but gentle and patient; and his early resignation to his son was probably a wise move. But something was inherently wrong with not only his son’s appointment, but maybe his own, and all later events; Silmariën’s line eventually proved Faithful.
#10. [192nd – 43pts] Tar-Ancalimë 7th Ruler of Númenor and 1st Ruling Queen (f)
Independent daughter of dysfunctional Aldarion & Erendis, she follows neither outright; attains the rule of Númenor as 1st Ruling Queen; remains unwed at length, eventually marrying an inland Lord for which she has strife after an heir is born; and eventually severs all external policies of her father. She forbade all women in her household to marry; proud and willful to the end.
#11. [212th – 40pts] Tar-Atanamir the Great 13th King of Númenor
In his time the Shadow definitely fell upon Númenor. Proud and greedy like his father; he exacted heavy tribute from the Men of the coasts of Middle-earth, and spoke openly against the Valar and the Eldar. Called the Unwilling, he did not pass the scepter nor lay down his life in noble fashion.

Next, Kings, Queens, and Lords a plenty...
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

What fun!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

Well, it helps pass the time when you're buried in snow... :help: :)

#12. [226th – 38pts] Tar-Minastir 11th King of Númenor
He built a high tower near Andúnië, and often gazed westward, loving the Eldar but envying them. He sent a great fleet to aid Gil-galad in the 1st war against Sauron.
#13. [227th – 38pts] Tar-Ancalimon 14th King of Númenor
The rift between the King’s Men and the Faithful became wider under his rule; use of the Elven-tongues began to be forsaken.
#14. [266th – 31pts] Silmariën of Andúnië 1st child of Tar-Elendil (f)
Marrying Elatan of Andúnië, she bore Valandil the 1st Lord of Andúnië. Unfortunately her importance eclipses what is known of her character.
#15. [281st – 29pts] Ar-Gimilzôr 23rd King of Númenor
Greatest enemy of the Faithful prior to his grandson Ar-Pharazôn; he forbade the Eldar and use of Eldarin tongues in Númenor, punishing those who did not comply. He also never went to the Hallow of Eru. His only wise move was to wed Inzilbêth, secretly of the Faithful; and their eldest son, of like-mind to his mother, became Tar-Palantír.
#16. [292nd – 28pts] Tar-Elendil Parmaitë 4th King of Númenor
He was a loremaster, writing books and legends gathered by his grandfather Vardamir. His eldest child was Silmariën, whose Faithful line outlived Númenor.
#17. [310th – 26pts] Vardamir Nólimon 2nd King of Númenor
He gathered all the ancient lore from Elves and Men and father Elros, but his most important feat was to pass the throne to his son before laying down his life, a tradition maintained until Tar-Atanamir. Vardamir actually never ruled, but is counted the 2nd King, reigning 1 year.
#18. [338th – 24pts] Valandil 1st Lord of Andúnië
Son of Silmariën and Elatan of Andúnië; he was progenitor of the line of the Faithful.
#19. [339th – 24pts] Tar-Ciryatan 12th King of Númenor
A mighty King who built a great fleet of royal ships; his servants oppressed and appropriated from the Men of Middle-earth. He scorned the yearnings of his father Tar-Minastir, and is said to have forced him to yield the scepter; thus the 1st hint of Shadow falling on Númenor.
#20. [359th – 22pts] Tar-Calmacil 18th King of Númenor
A great captain who kindled the hatred of Sauron by winning wide lands in Middle-earth, forcing him to build his power base in the East. His was the first name to be spoken in Adûnaic, called Ar-Belzagar by the King’s Men.
#21. [361st – 22pts] Gimilkhâd father of Ar-Pharazôn
Younger son of Ar-Gimilzôr, he was the harsh leader of the King’s Men during his brother Tar-Palantír’s reign; he sired Ar-Pharazôn.
#22. [371st – 21pts] Ar-Zimrathôn 21st King of Númenor
Son of Ar-Adûnakhôr, he was 2nd to take his official title in Adûnaic.
#23. [402nd – 19pts] Ar-Sakalthôr 22nd King of Númenor
Father of Ar-Gimilzôr, he sired the greatest enemy of the Faithful before Ar-Pharazôn.
#24. [404th – 19pts] Tar-Súrion 9th King of Númenor
3rd child of Tar-Anárion, he became King when his sisters refused the scepter.
#25. [406th – 19pts] Tar-Telperiën 10th Ruler of Númenor and 2nd Ruling Queen (f)
Long-lived and unwed, she passed the scepter to cousin Tar-Minastir.
#26. [412th – 19pts] Inzilbêth Queen of Númenor (f)
Descendant of Tar-Alcarin, desired for her beauty, she was forced to marry Ar-Gimilzôr producing brothers Tar-Palantír and Gimilkhâd. Her marriage was naturally unhappy, but she remained secretly of the Faithful.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

dna wrote:Finally, I figure there are some un-named characters deserving of filling out the list... Just curious, are there any other candidates I’m missing?
The mysterious old man who tells Brego and Baldor that "The way is shut".

And I'm rather fond of that orc-chieftain you opted to cut. The cave troll likewise, though. I like how that scene parallels the attack on Weathertop: in both Frodo is wounded soon after he strikes at his enemy's foot. He comes off better in the second event, of course (because, as someone else said, of "a topos as old as the hills").

Seriously, I am in awe of your geekiness.
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

Coming from you, Brigand, that's a high compliment!

The mysterious old man is 1129 at present, 1200 now being the magic number it seems...

Let's wrap-up Númenor, and maybe, just maybe, we'll get on to Rohan...

27. [421st – 18pts] Lindórië of Andúnië (f)
Sister of Eärendur Lord of Andúnië, she was mother of Inzilbêth.
28. [435th – 17pts] Tar-Amandil 3rd King of Númenor
Began rule as 3rd King when his father Vardamir passed the scepter without ascension, thus directly followed the rule of Elros.
29. [437th – 17pts] Tar-Vanimeldë 16th Ruler of Númenor and 3rd Ruling Queen (f)
She was little interested in ruling, preferring books and music. Power was wielded by her husband Herucalmo, who usurped the scepter on her death as Tar-Anducal, withholding rule from their son.
30. [438th – 17pts] Tar-Alcarin 17th King of Númenor
Son of Tar-Vanimeldë and Herucalmo; he waited 20 years to attain his rightful place as 17th King while his father usurped the scepter.
31. [454th – 16pts] Eärendur 15th Lord of Andúnië
Carrying on the line of the Lords of the Faithful, his niece was Inzilbêth mother of Tar-Palantír.
32. [521st – 13pts] Tar-Anárion 8th King of Númenor
Son of Tar-Ancalimë and Hallacar of Hyarastorni, he was caught in the middle of their unhappy marriage; his 2 eldest daughters refused the Heirship, as their grandmother the Queen, would not let them wed.
33. [545th – 12pts] *Tar-Ardamin 19th King of Númenor
For some reason his rule was forgotten in the ‘Tale of Years’; thus Ar-Adûnakhôr was listed as 19th King, and those after as one less. As CT speculates, perhaps the fact that Tar-Ardamin was last to officially be listed by his Quenya name had some bearing on this.
34. [566th – 11pts] *Vëantur Captain of the King’s Ships of Númenor
Commander of the 1st Númenorean ship to return to Middle-earth, and grandfather of Tar-Aldarion; as such he was mainly responsible for Númenoreans desire for seafaring.
35. [575th – 11pts] *Ciryatur admiral of Númenor
He was the Númenorean admiral that commanded the fleet sent by Tar-Minastir to the aid of Gil-galad against Sauron.
36. [595th – 10pts] *Herucalmo (Tar-Anducal) Usurper King of Númenor
He usurped the scepter when his wife Tar-Vanimeldë died, and kept rule from his son for 20 years until his own death. His rule altered little, and Tar-Anducal is not counted in the line of Kings.
37. [618th – 10pts] *Soronto son of Orchaldor and nephew of Tar-Aldarion
Son of Ailinel sister of Tar-Aldarion; he called upon the unmarried Tar-Ancalimë to surrender her Heirship, relying on the provision of the new law. As a result she unwillingly married Hallacar of Hyarastorni.
38. [652nd – 9pts] *Malantur great-grandson of Tar-Amandil
He’s notable only for being next in line to the scepter if Tar-Meneldur had no son, according to earlier law.
39. [662nd – 8pts] Tar-Telemmaitë 15th King of Númenor
His love for mithril dominates his reign, which marks the beginning of the tradition of actual power passing to sons or counselors before the death of the King.
40. [667th – 8pts] *Almarian Queen of Númenor (f)
Daughter of Vëantur, and wife of Tar-Meneldur; she was the mother of Tar-Aldarion.
41. [693rd – 8pts] *Isilmo son of Tar-Súrion
As 2nd child of Tar-Súrion, his son received the scepter after the death of the heirless Tar-Telperiën.
42. [711th – 7pts] *Hallacar of Hyarastorni
Son of Hallatan Lord of Hyarastorni, Hallacar wedded Tar-Ancalimë in an ill-fated marriage; nevertheless producing an heir, Tar-Anárion.
43. [786th – 6pts] *Hallatan Lord of Hyarastorni
Lord in the Inlands of Númenor, and cousin of Tar-Aldarion.
44. [799th] – 5pts] *Númendil 17th Lord of Andúnië
Lord of Andúnië in the days of Tar-Palantír, and probably a royal counselor to him; he was father of Amandil last Lord of Andúnië.
45. [849th – 4pts] *Eärendur son of Tar-Amandil
Younger brother of Tar-Elendil; if his nephew Tar-Meneldur would have had no son, the line would have gone through Eärendur instead.
46. [852nd – 4pts] *Ulbar mariner of Númenor
A shepherd in the service of Hallatan of Hyarastorni; he became a mariner of Tar-Aldarion.
47. [865th – 4pts] *Beregar father of Erendis
Man from the Westlands of Númenor; he was descended from the House of Bëor.
48. [894th – 3pts] *Elatan of Andúnië
He was husband of Silmariën, and father of Valandil 1st Lord of Andúnië.
49. [901st – 3pts] *Gimilzagar son of Tar-Calmacil
He was 2nd son of Tar-Calmacil, and ancestor of Inzilbêth.
50. [910th – 3pts] *Núneth mother of Erendis (f)
She somewhat urged Erendis into her marriage.

Honourable mentions:

51. [922nd – 3pts] *Isilmë daughter of Tar-Elendil (f)
52. [924th – 3pts] *Orchaldor father of Soronto and brother-in-law of Tar-Aldarion
53. [933rd – 3pts] *Ailinel sister of Tar-Aldarion (f)
54. [934th – 3pts] *Almiel sister of Tar-Aldarion (f)
55. [965th – 2pts] *Elentir brother of Amandil Lord of Andúnië (History of Akallabêth)
56. [985th – 2pts] *Henderch mariner of Númenor
57. [990th – 2pts] *Hatholdir father of Orchaldor and friend of Tar-Meneldur
58. [1003rd – 2pts] *Nolondil brother of Tar-Amandil
59. [1007th – 2pts] *Axantur nephew of Tar-Amandil
60. [1011th – 2pts] *Cemendur father of Hallatan of Hyarastorni
61. [1013th – 2pts] *Yavien niece of Tar-Amandil (f)
62. [1018th – 2pts] *Ibal son of Ulbar the mariner
63. [1023rd – 2pts] *Orontor father of Firiel and mariner of Númenor (Lost Road)
64. [1028th – 2pts] *Firiel daughter of Orontor and maiden of Elendil (f) (Lost Road)
65. [1034th – 2pts] *Zamin servant of Erendis (f)
66. [1038th – 2pts] *Poldor Númenorean (boy?) (Lost Road)
67. [1042nd – 2pts] *Almáriel Númenorean girl (f) (Lost Road)
68. [1051st – 1pt] *Tindómiel daughter of Elros (f)
69. [1052nd – 1pt] *Manwendil son of Elros
70. [1053rd – 1pt] *Atanalcar son of Elros
71. [1057th – 1pt] *Vardilmë sister of Tar-Amandil (f)
72. [1058th – 1pt] *Aulendil brother of Tar-Amandil
73. [1065th – 1pt] *Caliondo grandson of Tar-Amandil
74. [1068th – 1pt] *Mairen daughter of Tar-Amandil (f)
75. [1073rd – 1pt] *Oromendil nephew of Tar-Amandil
76. [1077th – 1pt] *Lindissë aunt of Hallatan of Hyarastorni (f)
77. [1078th – 1pt] *Ardamir uncle of Hallatan of Hyarastorni
78. [1084th – 1pt] *Írildë sister of Hallatan of Hyarastorni (f)
79. [1091st – 1pt] *Nessanië daughter of Hallatan of Hyarastorni (f)
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm in awe of both of your Tolkien geekiness. :bow:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Galin

Post by Galin »

Not sure this question belongs here, or that I've not forgotten something obvious, but...

... I just checked MR, WJ, AR and the 1977 Silmarillion and every mention of Celeborn in QS in The Silmarillion seems to be editorial [he's not in QS at all as written by JRRT]. Is that right?
Voronwë the Faithful

I think that is right, but I'm out of town and away from all of my books, so I can't say for sure (assuming you are talking about the person, not the tree). But I seem to remember something about Nimloth (again the person not the tree) being the sister/kinswoman of Celeborn. But the thing about there being great love between Galadriel and Celeborn is definitely editorial, since in the real text that refers to her and Melian.
Galin

Post by Galin »

Oh right, yes I mean the person.

I think the Nimloth reference is from The Fall of Doriath in the 1977 Silmarillion? Maybe. And now I'm going on memory [after looking only yesterday]! But if so, I'm guessing that might have come from a family tree somewhere.

Wait, you went somewhere without your books ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, that is correct. Borrowing from the copy of AR that I gave to my mother (and probably has never been opened before):
In paragraph 36, the name “Nimloth” for Dior’s wife was taken
from a series of Elvish genealogies that were created in December
1959. One version has her as Celeborn’s sister, and another as his
niece. Hence the more ambiguous “kinswoman of Celeborn” that
Christopher adopted (see WotJ, 350).