Middle-earth [formerly LotR] in New Media

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea
Location: Small drinking village with a severe fishing problem

Re: Middle-earth [formerly LotR] in New Media

Post by elengil »

A-ha! Yes, here it is!
"How long have you known all this?" asked Frodo again.
"Known?" said Gandalf. "I have known much that only the Wise know, Frodo. But if you mean 'known about this ring,' well, I still do not know, one might say. There is a last test to make. But I no longer doubt my guess."

"...Give me the ring for a moment."
Frodo took it from his breeches-pocket, where it was clasped to a chain that hung from his belt. He unfastened and handed it slowly to the wizard. It felt suddenly very heavy, as if either it or Frodo himself was in some way reluctant for Gandalf to touch it.
Gandalf held it up. It looked to be made of pure and solid gold.

For a moment the wizard stood looking at the fire; then he stooped and removed the ring to the hearth with the tongs and at once picked it up. Frodo gasped.
"It is quite cool," said Gandalf. "Take it."
SEE! LOL Gandalf was certain but it was still not proved - this was the last test before he could know for absolute sure this was Thee One Ring. But he had no fear of touching it, and he certainly did not drop it into Frodo's hand *hoping* it was cool. He tested that himself first!

(I know it's contentious, but I will say it again: for all its faults, the cartoon often gets right per the book what the movie does not. His fear of touching it is a Jackson addition, not from the book)
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

Post by Inanna »

Nicely done, elengil.
*title copyright: Teremia

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

There's a youtube channel, "History of Middle Earth", that talks about various aspects of the story and backstory, and he often does have some interesting things to say. Here's his talk about the Scouring of the Shire:

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Here's an idea for a really, really shortened version of LOTR:

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Love the look of these. Map of your Country/State in Tolkien style. The Ireland one is even available in Irish Language variant

https://lordofmaps.com/collections/shop ... 6419455024
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I absolutely adore this:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/e7429dc ... eb3bda8927
LegoLotrMAp.jpg
LegoLotrMAp.jpg (694.43 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

Post by Inanna »

WOW. I love it.

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That's really cool.
There should be a word for the microscopic spark of hope that you dare not entertain in case the mere act of acknowledging it will cause it to vanish, like trying to look at a photon. You can only sidle up to it, looking past it, walking past it, waiting for it to get big enough to face the world.
- Terry Pratchett, Mort
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

If you've ever thought, I love LOTR but I wish I could see an ULTRA low budget Russian film adaptation - I have good news for you!

https://www.slashfilm.com/soviet-lord-o ... EX5jtIh7aw
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea
Location: Small drinking village with a severe fishing problem

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:If you've ever thought, I love LOTR but I wish I could see an ULTRA low budget Russian film adaptation - I have good news for you!

https://www.slashfilm.com/soviet-lord-o ... EX5jtIh7aw

:shock: :rofl: :banana:

Turn on auto-translate to English, it's even better
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I watched bits of it.. :rofl: I'll watch the rest later. The hobbits aren't small, but I guess for a low budget production what can one expect.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

As I said on B77, it appears to be a filming of a theater production. Which may explain some things, such as the minimal effects.

It doesn't explain Gandalf the Purple. Or the perpetually high Frodo.

Lobelia is awesome, though. And hey, Tom Bombadil and Barrowdowns.
There should be a word for the microscopic spark of hope that you dare not entertain in case the mere act of acknowledging it will cause it to vanish, like trying to look at a photon. You can only sidle up to it, looking past it, walking past it, waiting for it to get big enough to face the world.
- Terry Pratchett, Mort
Inanna
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

Post by Inanna »

Colbert talked about this in his show!

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm about 90 minutes in and it's growing on me. If you stop thinking about it in terms of PJ's movies, and just expect a theater production for children based on a quirky foreign story, it's actually quite fun.

Not sure how Legolas... just how.

Eta: one thing about televised theater is that it tends to show up close things that are meant to be watched from a distance, on stage. And this is an odd enough hybrid to make that even more glaring.
- Terry Pratchett, Mort
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Inanna wrote:Colbert talked about this in his show!
Not surprising!!

Frelga, it's probably a little easier if one understands Russian. I've been trying to watch it with auto-translate and if I didn't know the story it would be pretty confusing. But yeah, I can see where it works as a theatrical play.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It also helps not to have any investment in the source material. Tolkien has been translated into Russian, but was practically unknown even to those like me, who read quite a bit of translated fantasy and science fiction. So it wasn't an adaptation of a generally beloved tale, as something by Astrid Lindgren or Gianni Rodari.

The translation is quite good, IMO. But I can see how not following the language would make the experience even more surreal.
- Terry Pratchett, Mort