It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:17 pm 

I was just wondering if he ever drew a picture or sketch of how he visualized the ents.

“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:16 pm 
1000%

I don't believe that he did, but when I get a moment, I'll look through Wayne and Christina's Art of The Lord of the Rings and see if there is anything in there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:59 pm 

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
I don't believe that he did, but when I get a moment, I'll look through Wayne and Christina's Art of The Lord of the Rings and see if there is anything in there.

Yeah, I have that book and no, there is no drawing in it of an ent. I was hoping someone somewhere had found a sketch or something. I am trying to visualize the ents without the movie's portrayal but it is hard to do. I want to know how Tolkien imagined them.

“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:17 pm 
Hobbit

He drew Treebeard with words:
Quote:
'Almost felt you liked the Forest! That's good! That's uncommonly kind of you,' said a strange voice. 'Turn round and let me have a look at your faces. I almost feel that I dislike you both, but do not let us be hasty. Turn round!' A large knob-knuckled hand was laid on each of their shoulders, and they were twisted round, gently but irresistibly; then two great arms lifted them up.
They found that they were looking at a most extraordinary face. It belonged to a large Man-like, almost Troll-like, figure, at least fourteen foot high, very sturdy, with a tall head, and hardly any neck. Whether it was clad in stuff like green and grey bark, or whether that was its hide, was difficult to say. At any rate the arms, at a short distance from the trunk, were not wrinkled, but covered with a brown smooth skin. The large feet had seven toes each. The lower part of the long face was covered with a sweeping grey beard, bushy, almost twiggy at the roots, thin and mossy at the ends. But at the moment the hobbits noted little but the eyes. These deep eyes were now surveying them, slow and solemn, but very penetrating. They were brown, shot with a green light.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:47 pm 
1000%

TolkienJRR wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:

Yeah, I have that book and no, there is no drawing in it of an ent. I was hoping someone somewhere had found a sketch or something. I am trying to visualize the ents without the movie's portrayal but it is hard to do. I want to know how Tolkien imagined them.

I have never heard that he had, and I'm pretty sure that if he did Wayne and Christina would have included it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:56 am 

I rather suspect that Tolkien, having described an Ent, was quietly grateful that he was under no obligation to draw one. That could have been an invitation to ridicule.

Even the movie portrayal is not so much a willing suspension of disbelief as much as hanging it by the neck until it is dead. :)