Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

West Cliff Drive in Santa Cruz, next to the Monterey Bay, looking out to Monterey (which you can't see because of the clouds). Where I do much of my riding!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Another one I like:

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

When I arrived at Oceanside last week, Southern California was going through its version of extreme weather - 40 mph winds, spats of rain, a few minutes of hail, temperatures down in the 60s F, and one lightning flash. Well, it tried. :roll:. Here's the view from my timeshare:

During the night, the waves came all the way up into the parking lot and deposited some sand and seaweed. But I slept right through it, being on the second floor.

The rest of the week was drop dead gorgeous breakers during the day (filled with cute surfers) followed by fantastical sunsets.

And one more:

You probably don't want to see the rest of the pictures I took, which were of storm drains, cuz, y'know, I'm an engineer.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

I hiked throughout the Pinnacles National Park this weekend - our newest national park - though it has been enjoyed by the hiking public since the 1930s.

As I was traveling, I thought ... there is a path ....

...and then stairs...

...and...a tunnel....

...and... :D

...lots of poison oak....

....and many beautiful views that my phone camera could not do justice to...

... it's an amazing place...
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

Some pics from my recent visit to Fannette Island in the middle of Emerald Bay, Lake Tahoe (I hiked, then kayaked to get to it). Not sure if this should be "Arda Unmarred", "Arda Slightly Marred" or "Architectural Photographs", since the photos were taken from the small stone structure at the top of the island called the Tea House.

Fannette Island:

Arriving by kayak:

The view outside the Tea House:

The view from inside the Tea House:

One of many little waterfalls on the hike back to the trailhead:

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, my! Those are so lovely! :love:
Voronwë the Faithful

Awesome!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I've posted about Rodney Lough Jr's photography before...just browsing his newest releases and couldn't resist sharing this one of a cathedral of poplars:

They may not be mellyrn, but the effect is just as magical... ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Indeed!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

WOW. WOW.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, that is soooo beautiful!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

narya, I missed out on telling you that I love, love the shot of the bay(?) from inside the tea house. Its gorgeous - that blue!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

I'd love to be in that poplar bosquet in the wind! They are particularly noisy and would get a good susurrus going. And they have a strong scent. I was just in a much wilder poplar forest this past weekend.

Note that each pruned off branch leaves an eye shaped scar. Like this:

Now that someone has pointed that out to me for alders, birches, aspens, poplars and their ilk, I can't not see eyes in the forest. So does that bosquet look the same to you now? :D
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Wow. Just.... Wow! Who needs Fantasy?

http://www.boredpanda.com/scotland-land ... otography/

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Absolutely gorgeous, Al! :love:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Wowsa!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

WOW.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

It's so beautiful I could die.

:help:
Voronwë the Faithful

Please don't!
Voronwë the Faithful

Nothing like the previous pictures, but still, a pretty day in Santa Cruz: