An illustrated map of my city

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

An illustrated map of my city

Post by Rodia »

There's an Architectural Photography thread in here, I assume that means it's not just nature photos that are welcome? :P

I just discovered Google Maps is awesome. Old news, most likely, but I'm happy to learn that one can create a map with paths, markers, photographs, videos, well, really anything!

So what I wasted ;) my time on today was mapping out my more prodigious bike trips (I just took one yesterday, biking a grand total of 60 km to get to a joust in the 14th century ruins of Łęczyca castle)

And then, to do something even more interesting, I took my Łódź photoset, and whenever I could remember where I'd taken a photo, I put it on my photographic map of Łódź.

:D

You guys should totally do your own cities. Even if you don't want to show the maps to anyone, this is a really fun way of digital scrapbooking. :D And in a few years if you find yourselves wondering where you took a picture, you can just look at the map. :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Wow, Ro, that is super cool!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

Isn't it just? I had so much fun. I'll definitely be adding more photos!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

:rage: I can see the labelled photo markers but I can't seem to access the photos - not by clicking the markers, nor the list on the sidebar and I can't figure out any other way.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Impenitent wrote::rage: I can see the labelled photo markers but I can't seem to access the photos - not by clicking the markers, nor the list on the sidebar and I can't figure out any other way.
Pop-up blocker maybe? dunno

Ro nice pics. Great idea.
Never realised how close you were to Scandanavia, or Boston for that matter.

subliminal messaging
Come to Boston.
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

NON-SUBLIMINAL MESSAGING: COME TO LODZ
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

AWESOME!!

I will do mine!!!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

YES!!!! Share when you do, aye?

I added a few photos today, but there's a loooot of work to be done still.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

I'll give it a whirl too. I have lotsa pictures from very select areas of Bakersfield. This will give me an idea of where else I should be going :P
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

You can also do the same in Flickr, with your loaded pics and add geotags to them.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

I know, but for some reason I find it easier on google maps. Plus I can do routes there, as well.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

If anybody figures out how Mac users can see the photos, please post here! I really want to see this, but though the map loads, the photos don't. And my popup blocker is definitely off.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

I'm on a mac myself, Prim. Firefox is my browser, but I just tried it in Safari and it works fine.

:( Don't know what to tell you.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Argh! Thanks, Ro. My computer is not very old, but maybe it can't handle this?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

I have no idea. Have you got all your system updates?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, I stay on top of those. Don't worry about it. The kids' computer is newer; I'll try looking at it from there later today, or from my son's laptop, which is newer still.
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

Well, you know, it's just a fun thing to do. I wish I could help.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You made the map! :D

And I'll find a way to see it.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

When you do, can you advise me? My Macs (office and home and laptop) are not cooperating either. :rage:

But I will not give up! I WILL see the map, complete - and then I will show my mother in law and husband who was born in Lodz! :D
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Rodia wrote:I know, but for some reason I find it easier on google maps. Plus I can do routes there, as well.
Ah... okay. Routes sounds good. :)