Architectural Photographs

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Dizzying, Mahima!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That's neat, Mahima. :)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Thanks. Here's my current fav shot:

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That one was a bit of a puzzle for me! But I see what it is now.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:) Reflection of Empire State top in a green building.

DC:

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Beautiful, Mahima. :)

My favorite building in DC would have to be Union Station. Here's the outside:

And the inside:

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - HDT
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ooooh.... I haven't been there in my multiple trips (umm, 3) to DC!!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

:rofl: I thought the reflection of the Empire State Building was a window washer's cage descending. :)
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

I noticed this hadn't been bumped in a while. Here is a photo I made in Cincinnati. I'm entering it in a local contest. Possibly one of the best pictures I've ever done:

Link to larger picture
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That is beautiful, cem! And what a striking sculpture. What's the story of the water pouring from her hands?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

cem, that's awesome! Is that the fountain on the square? That is a cool place I just discovered this past spring.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That's a lovely image, cem
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Wow. That's an awesome juxataposition, the skyscraper and the fountain.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Thanks. :)

Yeah, Lali, that's the place. I used a whole roll of film just on the fountain that day. We actually weren't going to bother with going downtown, but changed our minds & I'm really glad we did!

And since it was taken with a really old manual camera, with no DOF preview, I was really pleased that I got just what I wanted! I just squeezed the shutter & hoped for the best!

Prim, I didn't know much about the fountain so I googled it. She is known as The Genius of Water. Here's a link to the Wikipedia article on it: Link
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

The time I was there was a beautiful, warm spring day. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera, because there were some amazing photo opportunities. :( My favorite was an equestrienne police officer, letting her horse drink from the fountain. All of the kids in the area made a beeline for the horse, and the officer stood there for a long time so they could pet the horse. :D It was neat!
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Mounted Police there when we've been there too. They must have a horse always posted there. Perhaps because it's such a tourist-y spot.

I've missed some spectacular shots this year because of not being able to always carry a camera when I walk. Saw a red-tail hawk today, in fact. A few weeks ago a great horned owl flew about 6 feet in front of me... and earlier in the year I saw a bald eagle! Missed all of them, picture-wise, because I walk too fast to carry my camera.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

My brother-in-law, who is a semi-professional photographer, says those missed opportunities mean you have to take "neurochromes." :D
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Yeah, I won't forget seeing an owl fly right in front of me, nor an eagle swooping down into a lake anytime soon!

My photo didn't win anything in the contest, but this one took 2nd in the color division: Princess Leia
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Fantastic as usual, cem.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:) Very nice!