Architectural Photographs

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Architectural Photographs

Post by Inanna »

Oh my. How beautiful
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
eborr

Post by eborr »

Liked the photo's of Pontefract, I was working their for a couple of day before Christmas, my Dad spent a part of his childhood there, where my Grandpa was a teacher at the Kings School.

We went up to Silton Church today

As you can see it is a tad isolated

the boneyard has some lovely spring flowers

My wife's Grandfather. Grandma, and their parents are buried there.

On the day her Grandad was buried, the ground was boggy so his coffin had to be brought to the church by tractor and trailer, very fitting as he had worked on the land for all of his life.

The church has neither gas nor electricity nor running water, and has been on the site since the 12th Century. The history books say it was positioned where it is to be halfway between the hamlets of Over Silton and Nether Silton. I think it's far more likely that one of the Siltons was moved when the lord of the manor upped sticks and re-sited one of the villages. The fields around have enough undulations to suggest that there is archaeology not so far down.

I know it's kind of sad, but I wanted to record the the 12c church door which they keep inside. No longer entirely functional but a reminder of the unchanging nature of the best things
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Beautiful church! Is it still in use?

And is Stilton the place where Stilton cheese is made?
eborr

Post by eborr »

Yes it still is in use. In fact it is left open most of the time.

http://www.oversiltonchurch.com/home

and the name it's easy to confuse with the better known Stilton of the cheesy fame
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, very neat, eborr! Wow!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Beautiful, eborr.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
eborr

Post by eborr »

more old churches, this is St Adamans Church in the parish of Lonan

It's Manx name is Keeill ny Traie, the use of the word Keeill is interesting and indicative of it's age. Keeill is a term that comes to mean a small religious building dating from the the 6 -12 centuries. I am not so sure that they were all communal places of worship in today's sense, I guess more akin to monastery than a general church.

Frequently the keeills were built on sites that had prior religious significance - more below.

the path to the church.

from the top of the bone yard

afternoon sun at the rear of the church

This is one give away - a Celtic cross of the 5th Century, probably 500 years older than the Keeil, the people who carved this cross spoke a dialect of Cumbric, the language spoken in Cumbria, closely related to Welsh, unlike the Keeil builder who spoke a version of old Manx which is much closer to Gaelic.

The Victorian restored front of the church

Indicated in red a marker that the ground has been sacred for thousands of years, evidence of a cist grave.

the interior of the Church it is that small

an original window

Another Celtic crosses found on the site not in situ

and more this site is extraordinarily rich, some of the crosses have runes scratched into them.

The combination of the Norse and Celtic cultures is very evident, on Man there are 26 rune inscribed stones, compared with 33 in the whole of Norway

the track back to the 21 st Century

Gwyn A. Williams,
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Thank you for sharing these, eborr. So beautiful! They give me chills.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
eborr

Post by eborr »

its quite an eerie place - sacred ground for maybe 4000 years, it is well away from any settlement - I guess less than a 1/4 of a mile from the sea

Gwyn A. Williams,
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Attempting to post a picture from my mobile...

Edit: file too large. What do I do? If this were my laptop i'd just reduce it in Photoshop.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

How large is it?

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

About 2MB. Obviously too big for a message board post.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Tapatalk seems to resize automatically. You were trying through your mobile, but not through tapatalk?
Voronwë the Faithful

That was my next question!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I don't have tapatalk.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

During the first two days I had to take all my pictures on a mobile, because my luggage was delayed. But now that I got my camera back, here is beautiful Rochester Cathedral:
rochesterCathedral.jpg
rochesterCathedral.jpg (49.62 KiB) Viewed 19379 times
rochesterCathedral2.jpg
rochesterCathedral2.jpg (83.92 KiB) Viewed 19379 times
Voronwë the Faithful

Beautiful, indeed!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Agreed. It’s beautiful.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

This little narrative will have to be split into multiple posts because you can only attach 3 photos per post...

There's a ruined castle overlooking the cliffs just outside of Stonehaven, about two hours north of Edinburgh. Once again displaying my penchant for bad timing, I made it to the castle just after closing time. But the views from outside were good enough that it wasn't a total waste of time. It's a fairly strenuous hike from the Stonehaven harbour, and even with my damaged foot at the time, I thought it was well worthwhile.

So here's a view back to the harbour:
dunottar1.jpg
dunottar1.jpg (25.75 KiB) Viewed 19025 times
Part of the coastline on the way to the castle:
dunottar2.jpg
dunottar2.jpg (19.59 KiB) Viewed 19025 times
And then you get your first view of the castle itself:
dunottar3.jpg
dunottar3.jpg (10.41 KiB) Viewed 19025 times
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Near the castle, there are these little caves on the beach. I think they're naturally-formed, but I don't know for sure:
dunottar4.jpg
dunottar4.jpg (41.51 KiB) Viewed 19025 times
Along the way you pass a War Memorial. It's designed to deliberately look unfinished to symbolize the lives that were lost in WWI:
dunottar5.jpg
dunottar5.jpg (17.64 KiB) Viewed 19025 times
Here's a close-up of the castle from outside:
dunottar6.jpg
dunottar6.jpg (27.77 KiB) Viewed 19025 times