Bad Language?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

At the end of an emotional ceremony at Fenway Park this afternoon, David "Big Papi" Ortiz, the heart of the Red Sox for the past decade, addressed the crowd, ending by emphatically stating "this is OUR f*cking city!" This was in a nationally broadcast game, live, with no tape delay. Of course, the FCC had something to say about it as expected.
The FCC's authorized twitter account wrote:David Ortiz spoke from the heart at today's Red Sox game. I stand with Big Papi and the people of Boston - Julius
And who might Julius be, you may ask? Julius Genachowski is only the Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission.

I too stand with Big Papi, Julius, the people of Boston, and the United States, Earth, the Milky Way, and this and any other universe that may exist.
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Hmmm...nope, can't say I'm the slightest bit offended. In fact, I'm quite touched. :)
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - HDT
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I absolutely loved that. :love:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If ever there was an appropriate usage, that was it. That's why I tell my son to save bad language for extreme situations. If you throw f-bombs around every time your toast burns, what do you say when your city blows up?
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Okay, I was going to keep out of Lasto for a while, but I couldn't resist posting this. :) What great timing to have bumped this discussion!

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment ... 13372.html

Poor guy.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Wow...that's a pretty bad day at work. :shock: Though on a personal level I'm more bothered by the fact that he barely seems to know where he is and that he's supposed to be reading stuff...
Voronwë the Faithful

I saw that too. My reaction was similar to yov's.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Apparently he didn't know the mic was on. Probably a rather common rookie mistake, but that is tragically bad timing for him.

Poor guy!
Voronwë the Faithful

If David Ortiz's use of "bad language" was, as Frelga suggested (and I agree) an example of "an appropriate usage," then this was a perfect contrast: an example of a completely casual, meaningless use of bad language. I have little or no sympathy for this guy.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

It was probably a habit, Sir V, for him to talk this way, and he was caught with an open mic. I do feel badly for him; his debut as a news anchor, and this is what people will remember. It has to be pretty embarassing.

This is possibly a pretty good commentary on why this sort of language being habitual can be problematic. If you have a habit of consistantly using this language, and someone accidentally overhears you, it might just sound like this.

Mostly, that wouldn't be a problem, of course. In this case, I think it was.
Voronwë the Faithful

You're a much nicer person than I am, my dear Anth. If indeed it was a habit for him to talk that way in a casual manner, and he couldn't control himself under those circumstances, than I think he got exactly what he deserved.
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

I have to agree with VtF on this one; I can't say I feel sorry for him. When I'm with my friends in a casual social situation, my language is downright raunchy. But I would never let a curse word slip into conversation with my grandmother or with a patient, for example. It shouldn't be that hard to keep your language clean in a professional situation.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - HDT
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

I guess that's my point. He thought his professional situation started a hairsbreadth after it actually did. :shock:

He probably wouldn't have chosen to speak like this during the actual broadcast, if he had been a bit more in tune to the clock.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Generally speaking I agree but I can't judge the guy too hard without knowing what he was so upset about. He didn't just curse, he seemed really disoriented which makes me think that something legitimately terrible had just happened to him.
Voronwë the Faithful

Exactly, Elsha. Thank you.
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

anthriel wrote:I guess that's my point. He thought his professional situation started a hairsbreadth after it actually did. :shock:

He probably wouldn't have chosen to speak like this during the actual broadcast, if he had been a bit more in tune to the clock.
I definitely see your point. My gut reaction is that even though he wasn't on the air, he was fully aware that there were multiple cameras in the room, and so he should have been more professional regardless. But I don't really know the social etiquette of newsrooms.
Voronwë the Faithful

I watched it again. There is no excuse for that. If I were in charge, I probably wouldn't have suspended him, I would have fired him.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

He has been fired, per his twitter.
Voronwë the Faithful

Good. As a friend of mine pointed out to me, he doesn't just say "f****g s**t" he says "gay f****g s**t". There is no way that any one of you are going to convince me that he doesn't deserve to have been fired.

Edited to add: he apparently claims that he did not say "gay" but it sounds pretty clear to me.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I watched the clip. I do not think he seemed disoriented or that something terrible had happened to him... rather, he was reacting to whatever it was he was reading in front of him (perhaps the news story about a car crash?). Even when he knew the mic was on, he seemed woefully unprepared to be on the air.

Definitely not ready for prime time.

ETA: He definitely says the word "gay" before the two more colorful words...but I am not at all clear what he is referring to. Very bizarre incident.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame