Rape shield

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Rape shield

Post by nerdanel »

To what extent is the issue of whether a person (almost always a woman) has previously consented to sex with someone other than the alleged rapist, relevant to whether she consented to what she claims is a rape?

My views:

1 - it is almost always relevant whether the alleged victim has had consensual sex with the alleged rapist before. My understanding is that most laws recognize this.

2 - I would find it extremely relevant as a juror or judge if the victim had not merely never consented to sex before, but had done so in deliberate fashion. That is, it wouldn't be helpful to me to know that the alleged victim was still a virgin just because the right man (or woman) had not yet appeared on the horizon. But it would be helpful to me to know that the alleged victim had openly vowed to be a virgin forever, until marriage, or until some defined event in the future that had not yet occurred (e.g. first serious relationship, even.) If the prosecution can demonstrate that the alleged victim would not have given consent to ANYONE, then obviously it is more likely that she would not have given consent to the alleged rapist. My understanding is that most laws do NOT agree that this evidence should normally be admitted.

3 - For all other women, I agree with blocking evidence of past sexual activity with people other than the defendant, but I feel conflicted, as described below. Whether someone has consented to sex with 1 person, 3 people, 15 people, or 63 people honestly is not very helpful to me to know whether she would consent to sex with the 2nd, 4th, 16th, or 64th. Or, put differently...

I guess that someone who has consented to sex with 63 different people may be more likely to consent to sex with a generic 64th than someone who has consented to sex with only one person (e.g. her husband of 25 years.) But there are any number of reasons that our...sexually successful...woman with 63 partners may have chosen not to consent to the defendant on the day in question. She may not have found him sexually attractive. She may not have been in the mood that night. She may have known something about him - e.g. a dread STD - that made him unappealing as a sexual partner. She may recently have quietly decided (i.e. no dramatic religious conversion that she can introduce into evidence) to give up her...active lifestyle. What troubles me is the extremely (unfairly) prejudicial nature of the evidence here - without fail, the defense attorney is going to stand up, point at the alleged victim, and say: "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the *sneer* so-called 'victim' here had had 63 sexual partners. Sixty-three! If you started today, that's like having a different sexual partner every day for the next nine weeks! Now, I ask you, do you think that a...person like this got raped, or do you think she consented to sex?"

In most parts of the United States, or of the world, how do you think a jury is going to answer that question? "If she was having all that sex, okay, she probably consented this time too." The result it seems to lead to is, once a woman's sexual activity reaches a certain level, she can't ever successfully allege rape. That she had sixty-three sexual partners means of necessity, to a jury in a courtroom, that she probably wanted the sixty-fourth.

Now, of course, 64 is a caricature, and applies to fortunately few women. I would say I'm more concerned for women who have had, say, 1-10 nonmarital sexual partners. In many areas of the country, this is still very much frowned upon. I'm concerned for the woman who has had sex with two of her past boyfriends, gets raped by a third person, and the defense attorney in Backwater, USA persuades the jury that because she'd been willing to consent before marriage, then surely she was willing to consent again (what with her being a person of low morals, and all) - and moreover, since she wasn't a virgin, the damage done would have been relatively slight in any case.

So I come down supporting rape shield. But on the other side of the equation is the hypothetical innocent defendant, incorrectly accused by a woman with wrongful motivation. She says they met at a party, he offered her a ride home, then he came upstairs without her permission, forced her inside, etc. He says, here truthfully, that she invited him inside, they shared a meaningful glass of champagne in her living room, and then they retired to the bedroom for... consensual activities of a mature nature. :) Should he not be permitted to show that she has previously been intimate with eight other guys under similar circumstances, especially if it's otherwise "he said, she said" and that's the best he's got? It's a hard question.

4 - an interesting one that doesn't get discussed as often, but that I've been mulling about with some friends. Should sexual orientation be probative of anything? If someone can demonstrate that she is a committed lesbian who has had ten previous female partners but is adamantly disinterested in having sex with men, should that be introduced to show that she more likely didn't give the guy consent? And what about in the more rare, but still existent situation when a purely heterosexual woman claims sexual assault (or rape, depending on how the jurisdiction defines it) by another woman? Again, it seems to be relevant to show that she didn't give the woman consent. AFAIK, this last one isn't really addressed by rape shield laws (which are mostly to prevent the defendant from claiming that the victim consented by virtue of her sexual history, not the other way around), but it's an interesting collateral question.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Personally, i think rape is the worst crime there is. It's at least on par with murder, and quite possibly worse.

I also think it's also horrifyingly wrong for someone to make a false rape accusation.

The whole grey area of consensual/non-consensual is a nightmare to me. I think the law HAS to protect the possible victim, but I think there must be more than the word of that possible victim that it was rape.

I shudder with anger thinking of a rapist not paying dearly for such an evil crime, but I can't imagine being accused of it when innocent... such an accusation does irreparable damage... even if they are found innocent.

In other words... I don't know what the solution is, and hope I never have to deal with it :)
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

nerdanel wrote:Should he not be permitted to show that she has previously been intimate with eight other guys under similar circumstances, especially if it's otherwise "he said, she said" and that's the best he's got? It's a hard question.
This doesn't seem logical to me. If a woman's previous sexual activity has no bearing on determining whether or not she consented to sex in a particular instance (and I don't think it does), then there would be no reason to allow the defendant to introduce her past sexual history for that reason. I can think of a couple of reasons the defense would want to introduce such information: to trivialize the charge, that is, to introduce the thinking to the jury, what does it really matter if a woman who has allowed intimacy with so many men, has intimacy with yet another forced upon her? And to generally prejudice the jury against the woman (since as you observed they would probably think worse of her if she had many sexual partners).

Yes, I think it would definitely be pertinent to a jury if a lesbian could show proof of her committed lesbianism in a trial accusing a man of rape.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Does the jury get to know that this defendent has been arrested and or convcited/aquitted for rape multiple times before? (rhetorical question)

Because if this were the third or fourth time that a man had been accused of rape and charged with rape and gone to trial for rape that would certainly sway me as a juror regarding his character and the likelihood that he committed rape this time.

That information is prohibited because it is 'prejudicial' but there is a principle of logic behind its exclusion. Past behavior can only be used to draw inductive conclusions, and inductive conclusions can never be free of reasonable doubt. Evidence from a current crime can be used to draw deductive conclusions, and these can be free of reasonable doubt.

What makes rape different from other assault crimes is that the act itself is not dispositive. If Ms. Peacock is bludgeoned by Col. Mustard with a candlestick in the library, the defense attorney cannot argue that it was consensual. Or, even if it was consensual, the State has its own interest in prohibiting assaults. But the State has no interest of its own in prohibiting sex.

Since the criminal nature of the act depends wholly on the motivation of the victim rather than the criminal, in every rape case the victim is effectively a co-perpetrator and therefore needs the same rights protection that every other accused person would receive.

So, yes, I favor a rape shield.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Jnyusa wrote: Past behavior can only be used to draw inductive conclusions, and inductive conclusions can never be free of reasonable doubt.
The fine line for me here is that past behavior can and is used to question the integrity of testimony from witnesses, possibly including the accused and the accuser. For example, if an accuser has a history of filing rape charges that are later dropped or dismissed without going to trial, would that not be relevant?

How is that different? Note that generally I agree about the problematic nature of inductive reasoning in legal proceedings.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Jnyusa wrote:Does the jury get to know that this defendent has been arrested and or convcited/aquitted for rape multiple times before? (rhetorical question)

Because if this were the third or fourth time that a man had been accused of rape and charged with rape and gone to trial for rape that would certainly sway me as a juror regarding his character and the likelihood that he committed rape this time.

That information is prohibited because it is 'prejudicial' but there is a principle of logic behind its exclusion.
Jn, hal, and Cerin,

Back later or tomorrow - but for now I need to note that this is incorrect under the Federal Rule of Evidence 413 (of course, Jn, you may be aware of a contrary rule in effect in some states - I have never studied any evidence code other than the FRE.)

Here's the text of the rule.
Rule 413. Evidence of Similar Crimes in Sexual Assault Cases

(a) In a criminal case in which the defendant is accused of an offense of sexual assault, evidence of the defendant's commission of another offense or offenses of sexual assault is admissible, and may be considered for its bearing on any matter to which it is relevant.

(b) In a case in which the Government intends to offer evidence under this rule, the attorney for the Government shall disclose the evidence to the defendant, including statements of witnesses or a summary of the substance of any testimony that is expected to be offered, at least fifteen days before the scheduled date of trial or at such later time as the court may allow for good cause.

(c) This rule shall not be construed to limit the admission or consideration of evidence under any other rule.

(d) For purposes of this rule and Rule 415, "offense of sexual assault" means a crime under Federal law or the law of a State (as defined in section 513 of title 18, United States Code) that involved--

(1) any conduct proscribed by chapter 109A of title 18, United States Code;

(2) contact, without consent, between any part of the defendant's body or an object and the genitals or anus of another person;

(3) contact, without consent, between the genitals or anus of the defendant and any part of another person's body;

(4) deriving sexual pleasure or gratification from the infliction of death, bodily injury, or physical pain on another person; or

(5) an attempt or conspiracy to engage in conduct described in paragraphs (1)-(4).
Note that this rule is liberal - it is not merely evidence of the defendant's arrest, conviction, or time served that is admissible. I was taught in law school, although I do not know how this plays out in practice, that other women may come forward to testify that they were sexually assaulted by the defendant even if they never previously reported the offenses.

As you note...past behavior (especially past behavior of which a defendant has not even been convicted) can only give rise to an inductive conclusion not free from reasonable doubt. I may be pretty strongly pro-victim but I find Rule 413 troubling when used to admit mere allegations. Jn, I'm interested to know whether the lack of protection accorded the accused in this area changes your view of what protections the accuser should receive.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

If rape was properly viewed as a crime of violence rather than a sex act, some of the difficulties would disappear. It is not sexual desire that causes rape, despite untold numbers of rapists saying it is. It is an abuse of power, a crime of violence.

Many sexual assaults do not involve actual sexual intercourse. So, technically, the virgin victim could remain a virgin. But is she therefore unharmed?
Dig deeper.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Ax wrote:For example, if an accuser has a history of filing rape charges that are later dropped or dismissed without going to trial, would that not be relevant?
It is every bit as relevant as the criminal history of the accused. It is precisely because of its relevance that we exclude it. :)

The law has (wisely, imo) excluded all evidence that would necessitate inductive reasoning.

The accuracy of a witness is relevant to the evaluation of evidence from this crime, not past crimes. It matters if an eyewitness is blind, or if a character witness has a long-standing grudge against either party. But even there, character witnesses are identified as such. They are not presented to the jury as objective evidence from the crime itself.

A person can testify (voluntarily) on their own behalf and say, "I didn't do it," and then their truthfulness can be questioned and witnesses brought in support or repudiation of it. But if it's an act for which the State has an independent interest in prohibiting, then it will not help an accused to say, "I did it but the victim was asking for it," or "I was standing at the end of a long line of people who wanted to do it and some of them did it too," etc. They will still be found guilty under the law.

An analog might be assisted suicide. It remains homocide or at least manslaughter under the law, however sympathetic juries might be to the plight of both parties.

Jn
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

vison wrote:If rape was properly viewed as a crime of violence rather than a sex act, some of the difficulties would disappear.
Indeed!
nerdanel wrote:He says, here truthfully, that she invited him inside, they shared a meaningful glass of champagne in her living room, and then they retired to the bedroom for... consensual activities of a mature nature. Should he not be permitted to show that she has previously been intimate with eight other guys under similar circumstances, especially if it's otherwise "he said, she said" and that's the best he's got?
No. Whether she's been intimate with 8 or 80 or 365 partners in the last year bears no weight on the fact that on a given date this woman may have been raped. I do realize how tough it would be for a defendant to prove his innocence from a spurious claim. As a juror, I would be more interested in HIS history, and in the physical evidence of force used.

Although even that last is tricky. It's not fair to require a woman to fight back against a bigger, stronger attacker, risking a serious injury in addition to sexual assault to avoid "the fate worth than death". If she felt that submitting was preferable to risking other injuries, it should not be held against her and does not constitute consent.

I would be interested in the general character of the victim outside of sexual relationships. Is she generally a truthful, reliable person? Does she have a history of using unfair means to gain financial advantage? It's still not conclusive, of course.

Hard question, nerdanel, and an interesting topic.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

nel,

I have to confess complete ignorance of the hierarchy of jurisdications, but ... why is there a Federal Rule of Evidence concerning sexual assault? When is rape a federal crime?

Oddly, Dina and I were just talking about this last week because her Law Review case had something to do with rules of evidence, i.e. the fact that prior convictions cannot be presented to a jury until the sentencing phase. This was a California death penalty case that had lost on appeal and it had to do with the information that had appropriately or inappropriately been given to the jury ... and the number of details I remember is zero ....

So, I was under the impression that all States forbid the introduction of prior convictions as evidence in criminal trials. (How expansive this is, with regard to prior arrests, investigations, etc. I don't know.) But I can't think of a single reason justifying why the rules for other assault cases would not be the same for rape cases.

Perhaps I am mistaken about the rules of evidence, and prior convictions (and possibly etcetera) are usually permitted in criminal cases. Or maybe there are a lot of States that have different rules of evidence for rape.

If the last is true, then I disagree very stronly with this distinction on logical grounds as well as considerations of fairness. Past record should not be an issue in any criminal case, imo, because of the unreliability of induction.

Rather than change my mind about the Rape Shield I would oppose this Federal Rule 415 .... but, as I said, I'm first trying to imagine when a rape case would be tried in federal court ... unless it is a hate crime perhaps?

Jn
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

If I were a juror, I can't really imagine much anything beyond physical evidence that I would find relevant. It would take a lot to get me past the "innocent until proven guilty". Not "highly suspected"; "proven".
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Jn, in California, evidence that the defendant committed a prior crime is admissible in some circumstances. Specifically, in sexual offense cases evidence of prior sexual assault is deemed to be admissible pursuant to California Code § 1108, except in the rare cases where it can be shown that the prejudicial impact of the evidence outweighs its probative value. (§ 1108 isn't quite as liberal as FRE 415; it only applies to actual convictions). I believe most states have adopted similar rules.
He says, here truthfully, that she invited him inside, they shared a meaningful glass of champagne in her living room, and then they retired to the bedroom for... consensual activities of a mature nature. Should he not be permitted to show that she has previously been intimate with eight other guys under similar circumstances, especially if it's otherwise "he said, she said" and that's the best he's got?
Under California law (Evidence Code § 1103) it absolutely would not be admissible to prove consent (even if it were 108 other guys). Of course, if the prosecution presents some evidence on the victims sexual history, the defense can then cross-examine witnesses and otherwise rebut that evidence.

There is a provision (Evidence Code § 782) that provides that in certain circumstances evidence of the victim's prior sexual history can be admisible on the issue of credibility. But that provision has been very narrowly interpreted, and usually is only applied in cases where the victim has a history of prostitution (which is considered a "crime of moral turpitude" and is thus admissible regarding credibility).

On a related note, Evidence Code § 1103 does open the door to evidence regarding how the victim was dressed at the time of the offense in some circumstances:
evidence of the manner in which the victim was dressed at the time of the commission of the offense shall not be admissible when offered by either party on the issue of consent in any prosecution for an offense specified in paragraph (1), unless the evidence is determined by the court to be relevant and admissible in the interests of justice.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

No, I'm afraid I don't agree that any case should be constructed that way. :D

(too bad I'm not on the Supreme court)

Extreme statement follows; I may wish to think about this more thoroughly and change my mind:

I would prefer that a woman's word alone not be sufficient for bringing charges of rape than to have either/both past histories presented in court as evidence of assault.

By 'not her word alone' I mean that she would have to perform specific actions indicative of victim status: call the police as soon as humanly possible, agree to doctor's examination and collection of evidence, display other evidence of assault such as bruising, bring charges immediately, etc.

I would rather have it be impossible to claim rape three days after the fact than to have one's clothing, lifestyle, sexual mores and past behavior brought into evidence.

A false accusation is most of all harmful to the man whose reputation is besmirched, but it is far more damaging to women as a class than it is to men. If you stop and think about what this would mean within our society as it currently thinks about and behaves toward women, what is the end result of saying that every claim of rape will be investigated and prosecuted but the outcome will depend on the jury's decision as to which party has led a more virtuous life in the past?

That's a rule for the Spanish Inquisition, not the American justice system.

It seems to me, from what Voronwë and nel have written, that the courts are making exceptions for sexual assault in an attempt to establish the intent of the people engaged in the act. In my opinion, this is the wrong road to follow.

Jn
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

If I foolishly walk alone at night in the wrong neighbourhood I will be mugged. Yet should the thief be charged and tried, no one will offer my folly as a defense for the mugger. No one will point out that I make a habit of such carelessness, and no one will try to undermine my testimony in court by such means.

Rape was generally seen as one of two things:

First, a crime against property, the woman being either someone's wife or daughter. Having been raped, her value as a woman was reduced or even completely eliminated.

Second, it was seen as a sex act, the rapist being overcome by desire; that desire was aroused by her dress, her actions, her whereabouts, etc. This is the "blame the victim" crime.

In extreme cases in some cultures, to this very day, a raped woman is held so much to blame that she is killed. (After all, a decent woman would never be in any situation where she could potentially be raped. The fact that she was proves that she was sinful, loose, out of control, indecent, etc.)

Prostitutes are often the victims of violent sexual assaults but, of course, they seldom seek justice. Their occupation debars them from the law's protection, in practical terms.
Dig deeper.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:If I were a juror, I can't really imagine much anything beyond physical evidence that I would find relevant. It would take a lot to get me past the "innocent until proven guilty". Not "highly suspected"; "proven".
Sorry, yov, but I can't see physical evidence as a gold standard. Would you require physical evidence as proof that someone was mugged? If a robber threatens a man with a crowbar and demands to hand over the wallet or else, would the lack of injuries imply that the victim donated his money willingly? Even if the victim had in fact donated money to various causes before?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Insolent Pup

Post by TheEllipticalDisillusion »

I am of similar opinion as Jny concerning past histories being excluded as evidence for the current crime. Whether the woman falsely claims rape, or the man has been brought to trial for rape charges in the past has no bearing on what either of them did in this case. It can't.

I like the way Jny worded this bit: If you stop and think about what this would mean within our society as it currently thinks about and behaves toward women, what is the end result of saying that every claim of rape will be investigated and prosecuted but the outcome will depend on the jury's decision as to which party has led a more virtuous life in the past?

A justice system can't survive based on the past virtues of the players in the case. It is too open-ended and subjective.

If I were a juror, I would only consider character witnesses if anything of past histories has to be brought into the case. If the honesty of either party is in question, and each calls a witness to vouch for him or her (or discredit the other).
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Whether the woman falsely claims rape, or the man has been brought to trial for rape charges in the past has no bearing on what either of them did in this case.
Sure. But if either of them had a history of convictions for fraud, or perjury...I think there are situations where one can damage one's own reputation to the point where one's testimony is inherently suspect. They involve patterns of deliberate misrepresentation alone.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Ax wrote:They involve patterns of deliberate misrepresentation alone.
This is a question for the lawyers about the issue that Ax raised above.

Can one bring character witnesses to impeach the 'theory' of the defense if the defendent him/herself does not testify?

Jn
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

If the defendant (or the accuser) doesn't testify, I personally would have a hard time with their unreliability as witnesses being relevant. Conversely, though, the testimony of other witnesses might be subject to scrutiny if they have histories of perjury or fraud, correct?
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Insolent Pup

Post by TheEllipticalDisillusion »

Ax wrote:Conversely, though, the testimony of other witnesses might be subject to scrutiny if they have histories of perjury or fraud, correct?
The witnesses would be subject or the accused/accuser would be subject?
Ax wrote:I think there are situations where one can damage one's own reputation to the point where one's testimony is inherently suspect. They involve patterns of deliberate misrepresentation alone.
Quite so, but then comes the issue of whose history do you bring to trial. Both? The accused? The accuser? If it had to come to that, it would have to be both for the trial to be remotely fair.

That's an interesting question, Jny. I await the lawyers' response.