Theft - Final Update 7/24

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

I'm so sorry to hear that Hal. At least, the movers didn't take off with your stuff like what happened to a friend of mine. He waited at the apartment and they never came. I agree with Jynusa, call the Better Business Bureau with regards to this incident.

Anyways, when we got married and moved to our own apartment I made it a point to ride with the movers, while my wife and my best friends followed the truck by car. We placed big numbers on the boxes, my wife and the super (who was a great guy, he died last year :( ) was the one watching it as they unloaded them, one of my best friends followed the guys up the elevator, while me and another friend were waiting at the apartment ticking off the numbered boxes being unloaded from the crate, really pissed off the movers because I had to tick off the box from my list esp. if its fragile I go "No. 10 box are dishes please be very careful." :P That's why I knew which box is which because I have an inventory of stuff.

We're moving to Calgary, Alberta next month and we are selling most of our stuff cause we don't want the hassle of taking it with us. (We still have three months lease left on the apartment, so if we change our minds, it's still ours.) The furniture we might leave it behind except for the bedroom set, since it was a wedding gift from my parents so we might move it with the rest of the boxed stuff, so the super asked us if he can take it, I go okay.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

When it comes to shipping goods, whether your personal stuff or business stuff, the truth is that sometimes no one steals anything, the stuff just gets lost.

A friend of ours had a suitcase delivered to him that he had lost on a trip to Australia five years earlier. It showed up in Borneo or somewhere and eventually someone opened it and sent it back to him. The airline paid, which was the biggest shock. Anyway, as far as he could tell, nothing was missing.

But cars are broken into because there is on CD lying on the front seat, or change for the tollbooth in the little jobby for change. Drugs, every time.

I had a woman approach me last night at the beer store, wanting $12 for bus fare to Vancouver. I guess she thought it sounded like a sorta reasonable amount of money, businesslike? But she had those meth grooves in her face and she was about as jonesy as I've seen, so I gave her the old stone face and said, "I never give money to beggars."

I regret my harsh remark, now. But.

Oh, well. :(
Dig deeper.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

In a recent high-profile case Jacob Zuma, my country's ex-second in command, was tried for rape ( he still has corruption charges hanging over his head ) and during his trail he testified straight-faced that the fact that he could see his victim's knees and that she didn't had her legs together as she sat on his sofa meant she was "asking for it".
:x

Of course, it's not just South Africa. Here, a while back, there was a big rape case involving a cousin of the Kennedys.. big political name, here in the US.

One of his defenses is that the girl was wearing Victoria's Secret underwear (which is known for being very pretty and sexy).

:scratch:

Which meant... what, exactly? That she was wearing slutty undies, so she was a slut, and therefore "asking for it"? Perhaps she was a slut, who am I to say, but no matter WHAT she wears she should be able to say no. She should be able to strut around naked, painted green, and not get attacked!

STILL makes me mad...

:rage:

Sorry... I digress...

<fumes>
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Well, I went with a very big moving company, so I thought I was relatively safe from the movers themselves running away with stuff.

I should have labeled and inventoried all the boxes, but there really wasn't time in this case, I don't even know if I could have done it if I had planned out things perfectly. I will next time for sure.

One of the two boxes that was stolen WAS full of DVDs, which was kind of a relief, as it is all easily replacable. The only thing I'm worried about is that I might have stuffed something in there that I've forgotten about... but It was the box that had the last two seasons of the Simpsons in it (the ones they've packaged in the big heads), so I'm fairly certain I remember the box being just full of DVDs, becuase those two things were a pain to pack...

lucky thief, though... $2000 worth of easily sellable stuff... I just hope the various insurance companies don't fight me over it...
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We moved several times in the military, and they never lost anything... but that was 20 years ago. They broke some stuff, of course, but always delivered the pieces.
Phoenix_Valor

Post by Phoenix_Valor »

One trick to use when you move is to put the wrong name on the box when you label it. For example, if you have a box of important documents, you can label it 'family photos' or 'Kid's artwork'. Theives don't care about photos or paper with crayon scribbles all over it. You could also take some of the smaller important items with you in the car. You can put all your jewelry in a shobox, and put with the suitcases in your car.

It's also a good idea for you to secure your home so that your house doesn't get broken into. There's this show on the Disovery Channel called 'It Takes A Theif'. It's a show where the two show hosts [they are both ex. Burglers by the way] go to a home with poor security and, whith the permision of the owner, set up cameras all over the outside and inside of the house. The home owners walk out and lock up like they would any other day, and sit in a van with one of the show hosts [Mat] and watch their house on video screens. While they're in the van, the other host [Jon] breaks into, and 'robs' the house, and the homeowners watch the whole thing on the TV screens. The perpous of this is to show the homeowners just how easy it is for someone to invade their home and take their stuff. The whole robbery looks like the real thing [due to the fact the hosts are ex. burglers and know how to do this], Jon even drives away with their posessions in his car. Then, the homeowners meet Jon who gives them back their stuff [and helps clean up the mess]. Matt gives the home a complete security makeover with alarms, smoke screens, motion detectors on the windows, and even biometric keypads. You really can buy the stuff if you know where to look.

One of the most common mistakes is putting a 'secret' key under the welcome mat. It's not exactly a good idea. Everyone knows about the 'secret key' trick, so if the theif looks under the mat to see if you have one, you just gave them an easy ticket into your house. They could even come back to steal more stuff anytime they wanted if you didn't bother to change your locks.

Also, it's common for people to hide money in cookie jars and other places in the kitchen. Every theif knows this one too. Put your money in a safe instead. I might add that you'll want to have the safe bolted to the floor.

As for nasty airport workers taking your stuff, don't put valuables in checked bags.

In your car, put things like CD's or Ipods in the glove compartment. Oh, and don't leave your windows down, or even part-way down. That's like putting a sign on your car that says 'STEAL ME'.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadow shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken:
The crownless again shall be king.
--Bilbo, FOTR
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Well, the Moving company is (predictably) fighting me tooth and nail to not pay a dime for the DVDs that are missing.

They want receipts to prove I owned them.

So far, they're saying that's all that will work, otherwise they just won't pay more than $250 a box...

So, not only are the thieves happily enjoying my couple of grand worth of DVDs, the insurance I bought is worthless...
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Hal, read your mover's insurance contract. Did it state that receipts or appraisals would be required to support a claim? Did it place a value limit on the contents of each box?

If not, I believe that the law upholds 'fair market value' which an insurance appraiser should be able to settle on without much trouble since they have data bases for that sort of thing. I've had autos stolen three times (it's the crime of choice in Philadelphia) and I've never had trouble obtaining reimbursement for car contents just by stating what they were.

If I claim that something of unusually high value was in the car when it was stolen, then I might expect trouble because anything for which fair market value might not apply, or be difficult to determine, is supposed to be insured separately under a rider.

The issue might be whether the contents of the box were what you say they were - in which case your inventory sheet (if you have one) should be helpful - or the number of CD's actually in each box. But I think it would be a stretch for them to argue that there were only 10 CDs in the box.

Every state has an Insurance Commission, you know, where you can lodge complaints. You might consider it ... but read the contract first, if you hadn't already done so.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

There was no contract, or they never showed it to me, just a little area on the invoice they gave me, saying I was paying for full replacement value up to 10,000 for items lost or damaged, and then some stuff saying that damaged stuff would be repaired first, and replaced second.

I'll definitely report them to whoever I can, and my renters insurance will cover most of it and I don't think they require anything near as rigorous as the moving company is claiming... But that's not really right, as the Moving company is ENTIRELY responsable.

I didn't get the insurance thinking things would be stolen, I got it to cover my very expensive television.

Well, it was an expensive lesson to learn, but I know now what not to do...
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

here was no contract, or they never showed it to me, just a little area on the invoice they gave me, saying I was paying for full replacement value up to 10,000 for items lost or damaged,
You should give a copy of this contract to whomever carries your renter's policy and tell them you want them to pursue reimbursement from the mover's insurance. Insurance companies have their own arbitration system (In PA they do, anyway) where they can settle which insurer is responsible for covering a claim.

You should also phone your state district attorney and get the address of the insurance commission and file a complaint with them. Give a copy of that letter as well to whomever carries your renter's policy. The Insurance Commission will notify the mover's insurance company that a complaint has been filed.

When I worked in the insurance industry, these were taken very seriously.

Jn
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

should I tell the moving company that I'm going to do all this, or should I just do it?

Do you know if I file a claim with my renters policy, and they pay me, and then they go to the moving company to try and get them to pay for it, will I need to be involved?

Of course, this is all very confusing, and I just want it to go away, but I'm sure that would make them quite happy...
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

You don't have to inform the moving company that you are doing this. The Insurance Commission should do that for you.
hal wrote:Do you know if I file a claim with my renters policy, and they pay me, and then they go to the moving company to try and get them to pay for it, will I need to be involved?
No. Though it's a good idea to hold a match to their ankles because the process tends to be incredibly slow if they think you're not paying attention.
Of course, this is all very confusing, and I just want it to go away, but I'm sure that would make them quite happy...
Yes, that's what they count on. But I suspect that in this case it is the moving company and not the insurer who is putting up the blockade. They probably have standard claims and extraordinary claims. That $250 per box that you quoted sounds to me like something out of the contract between the mover and the insurer. You have to remember that in a case like this, any claim that the moving company submits represents an admission of fault. So they would like to minimize the number and magnitude of claims they submit to their insurer.

Jn
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Brief update as I have a decision to make.

The Moving Company, has offered to refund the cost of my move. This is about half the value of what I believe the cost to replace everything. It's also $1000.

Basically, I think I could take this, or fight them over the whole thing.

My renters insurance, is also offering me about half the value... because they of course say everything loses value all the time... even the unchanging DVD...

So getting a refund, and with the insurance claim, I should be able get everything back...

The only problem is... I'd basically be letting the Moving company not pay what they said (It spells it out as plain as day on all the stuff I signed).

Should I take the money and run? Should I fight them over it? Or should I take the refund and still report them to whichever appropriate bodies there are?

Also, I'm not quite sure of the ethical implications of getting a refund for the move, and then still claiming the losses to the insurance company...

Anyway...
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

My opinion? Take the money and run. It's not worth the aggravation of fighting over it.

As for the ethical implications of getting the refund, but still claiming the losses to the insurance company, well you still lost the property, even if you didn't have to pay for the move. At least that's how I see it. The insurance company undoubtably would have a different point of view. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I can't say what you should do, but in your position, I'd take the money and try to forget about it.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

What you were looking for was reimbursement for $2000 worth of stolen goods.

What you are being offered is $2000.

If the various companies involved are happy with their justifications in giving you the money, I would be happy to accept their offers, and be done with it. Quite frankly, whether they check it off as "reimbursement" or "insurance" is their business.

I'd take it, and not see any reason to report them. Unless you are still hopping mad, of course ;).
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Well, I picked up the check from the Moving company, and finished filing the claim witht he Insurance company, so we'll see what they end up giving me.

I guess in the end, it worked out ok... just caused a lot of headaches.

Thanks for everyone's help and input here.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I'm glad you got your money back, hal (though not the time and frustration :rage: ).

I just saw this thread as I was pondering whether to call the store that replaced the tires on my car. Someone there apparently helped himself to the $40 headset for my cell phone. I doubt if I'll get any reimbursement, but if I were management, I'd want to know that I had a thief on staff.

I'm so non-confrontational, though.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Argh, Wampus! As if you needed aggravation!

If I were management, I'd apologize sincerely and reimburse you. It's an investment in your goodwill. If they argue, you can simply hang up. But some businesses do still believe in customer service.

There's a tire chain in this part of the country that fixes any flat or slow leak for nothing, no matter where you bought the tire (Mr. Prim went in with a wheelbarrow tire last week and they fixed it, no charge, happy smile). They'll even rotate your tires for nothing, again no matter where you bought them. We've bought all our tires there for twenty years.

Hal, I'm glad it looks like you'll get your money back.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Well, my Insurance company (State Farm), is sending me a check for about $900, which will go up if I provide receipts for buying back the stuff that was lost and it costs more than that.

Don't know if I feel like goign out and spending $1500 on DVDs, though, we'll see.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995