The challenges ahead (Biden's America)

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: The challenges ahead

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It's nice to see competent, experienced individuals back in government positions who are loyal to the country and not pandering to an individual.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I’m very pleased about Janet Yellen, whom I really like.

John Kerry is “Climate Czar”...
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yes, I'm pleased about both of those appointments. Even though Yellen's strong New York accent sometimes grates on my nerves. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Screenshot_20201124-063941.jpg
Screenshot_20201124-063941.jpg (30.98 KiB) Viewed 4428 times
We already get a better class of joke with the incoming administration.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

ROFL.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm going to put this here, even if it is a little different.

Why the GOP is so rattled by Rev. Warnock's faith-based Georgia Senate campaign
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Just another proof that the writers of 2020 wouldn't know subtle if it smacked them in the face with a thesaurus.

Trump Plaza to Implode Just Days After Biden Inauguration, Deemed a 'Public Safety Hazard'

I hope we get a better team for the next season.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Goodness!
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't trust anything I read in Newsweek anymore. That doesn't mean this isn't true, but without a different source I have no idea whether it is.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I don't trust anything I read in Newsweek anymore. That doesn't mean this isn't true, but without a different source I have no idea whether it is.
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/lo ... r/2514255/
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Frelga wrote:
Screenshot_20201124-063941.jpg
We already get a better class of joke with the incoming administration.
I demand grammatical diversity!
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I'm going to put this here, even if it is a little different.

Why the GOP is so rattled by Rev. Warnock's faith-based Georgia Senate campaign
I haven't avidly been following the Georgia Senate race, but from what I've read I like Rev. Warnock (especially considering the Republican candidates) and agree with many of his ideas/ideals regarding social justice, etc... It annoys me when conservatives believe they 'own' patriotism, morality, faith/spirituality, etc.. and that anyone outside of the Repbulican box is completely devoid of such values. That said, I cringe when I read, "..the gospel should inform politics, and politics are essential to the work of the church."
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm going to put this here rather than in the elections results thread because it goes to the challenges that President-elect Biden faces.

Less than 2 in 10 Trump voters are willing to even give Biden a chance – far fewer believe he won the election: report

I can't speak to the accuracy of the numbers cited in the article ("A mere 3% of Trump voters believe Joe Biden beat Donald Trump"), but if they are overstated, clearly a large percentage of the population has bought into this false narrative. While part of the blame for that goes to Trump and his enablers, there needs to be some personal responsibility applied. People are willfully ignoring facts and reality. And that is perhaps the greatest challenge that Biden faces.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Reminds me of this I just saw recenty

I imagine the next 4 will look startlingly similar.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The propaganda campaign is depressingly effective. For example, an email/Facebook post has been going round with the alleged quote from Carroll Lewis from, supposedly, The Screwtape Letters. It gives a susceptible person a jolt of awe at the prophetic truth of the quote. Even after you explain that the quote is fake, modern propaganda, that emotional jolt leaves an impact.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-fact ... SKBN24823I

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:The propaganda campaign is depressingly effective.
So very depressingly true.

elengil, that video, :doh: :nono: The hypocrisy, it burns.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Frelga wrote:The propaganda campaign is depressingly effective. For example, an email/Facebook post has been going round with the alleged quote from C. S. Lewis from, supposedly, The Screwtape Letters. It gives a susceptible person a jolt of awe at the prophetic truth of the quote. Even after you explain that the quote is fake, modern propaganda, that emotional jolt leaves an impact.

Just today, Trump attorney Jenna Ellis shared a false quote from Teddy Roosevelt, and when she was called out on it, she responded by saying that even if he didn't say it, it's the kind of thing he would say.

It's pretty amusing to me to see Lewis used this way. Obviously there's a strong religiously conservative aspect to Lewis's works, and any prolific writer is likely to offer some material that can be used by partisans on all sides, but there have been a number of occasions over the past few years where I thought of certain Lewis's works, and in particular of the backstabbing nature of Hell as described in The Screwtape Letters, along with the N.I.C.E. from That Hideous Strength, both of which, not to mention what we learn of Mordor from the overheard conversations between orcs in The Lord of the Rings, have seemed very much like the archetypes for what we know of the Trump administration! See also the 2017 film The Death of Stalin for a good portrayal of such behavior taken to extremes.

*Here's one that I haven't seen discussed before: in That Hideous Strength, Lewis appears to offhandedly endorse "equality of incomes."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Something the Biden administration should look into: it appears the U.S. murder rate began to rise in 2019. This rise is not limited to areas controlled by Democrats, which is something often claimed by Republicans. And it can't be due to lead, which is now generally believed to have been a major cause of the high rates in violent crime from the late 1960s to the late 1990s. We need to know the cause so we can address it.

(Speaking of crime, two days ago saw the passing of David Dinkins at the age of 93. Dinkins was the mayor of New York City from 1990 through 1993. His successor, Rudy Giuliani, is often credited with reducing the city's crime rates -- and NYC police staged a much-covered protest in 1992 against Dinkins's plan to create an accountability board for police brutality, something which probably contributed to Giuliani's narrow electoral victory in 1993. But if you look at the numbers, crime started dropping in 1991, i.e., under Dinkins, and continued to drop at the same rate under Giuliani. Probably neither of them had much to do with it.)
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

N.E. Brigand wrote:
Frelga wrote:The propaganda campaign is depressingly effective. For example, an email/Facebook post has been going round with the alleged quote from C. S. Lewis from, supposedly, The Screwtape Letters. It gives a susceptible person a jolt of awe at the prophetic truth of the quote. Even after you explain that the quote is fake, modern propaganda, that emotional jolt leaves an impact.

Just today, Trump attorney Jenna Ellis shared a false quote from Teddy Roosevelt, and when she was called out on it, she responded by saying that even if he didn't say it, it's the kind of thing he would say.

It's pretty amusing to me to see Lewis used this way. Obviously there's a strong religiously conservative aspect to Lewis's works, and any prolific writer is likely to offer some material that can be used by partisans on all sides, but there have been a number of occasions over the past few years where I thought of certain Lewis's works, and in particular of the backstabbing nature of Hell as described in The Screwtape Letters, along with the N.I.C.E. from That Hideous Strength, both of which, not to mention what we learn of Mordor from the overheard conversations between orcs in The Lord of the Rings, have seemed very much like the archetypes for what we know of the Trump administration! See also the 2017 film The Death of Stalin for a good portrayal of such behavior taken to extremes.

*Here's one that I haven't seen discussed before: in That Hideous Strength, Lewis appears to offhandedly endorse "equality of incomes."
This is the sort of thing that bothers me about Memorial pages (on Facebook, Twitter, etc.. where other people make posts that are not direct quotes. Of course some pages ar handled well, others are misinformation campaigns.