2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: 2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

Post by N.E. Brigand »

We've all seen the footage of Capitol police officer Eugene Goodman as he's facing down the mob at the top of a stairwell, checks to his left and notices that the Senate doors aren't secured, and pushes one of the attackers in order to draw the crowd's attention to him as he leads them in the other direction.

Well, the Washington Post reports that if the insurrectionists had reached the top of the stairs just a few seconds earlier, they would have seen Mike Pence and his family and, to judge from the "Hang Mike Pence" chants we've all heard in videos from that day, very possibly would have tried to kill him. That's how close they came. Seconds.

(What probably would have happened is that Pence's Secret Service agents would have opened fire on the crowd and a lot more people would have died.)

In which case, how many Republicans later would have voted against the election results anyway? More or fewer than the 139 who did so?
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Dave_LF wrote:I guess that's one way to sell pardons without getting caught :neutral:
If you accept a pardon as a form of payment for legal services rendered, are you committing a new, post-pardon crime?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

N.E. Brigand wrote:
Dave_LF wrote:I guess that's one way to sell pardons without getting caught :neutral:
If you accept a pardon as a form of payment for legal services rendered, are you committing a new, post-pardon crime?
I'm not sure if receiving it is a crime, but giving it should be!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

And cheaper legal fees.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

N.E. Brigand wrote:
Probably, but how would anyone ever prove that's what happened?
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote:We've all seen the footage of Capitol police officer Eugene Goodman as he's facing down the mob at the top of a stairwell, checks to his left and notices that the Senate doors aren't secured, and pushes one of the attackers in order to draw the crowd's attention to him as he leads them in the other direction.

Well, the Washington Post reports that if the insurrectionists had reached the top of the stairs just a few seconds earlier, they would have seen Mike Pence and his family and, to judge from the "Hang Mike Pence" chants we've all heard in videos from that day, very possibly would have tried to kill him. That's how close they came. Seconds.

(What probably would have happened is that Pence's Secret Service agents would have opened fire on the crowd and a lot more people would have died.)

In which case, how many Republicans later would have voted against the election results anyway? More or fewer than the 139 who did so?
A new affidavit by an FBI agent in support of a complaint against one of the attackers makes it clear it wasn't just public chanting but also private intentions, when it reports about a group of insurrectionists that they:

"said that anyone they got their hands on they would have killed, including Nancy Pelosi ... [and] that they would have killed Mike Pence if given the chance."

And in this case, the affidavit specifically notes that the person was at a pro-Trump rally in D.C. on December 12 and that he was photographed there wearing Proud Boys regalia.

Stand back, and stand by.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

American Thinker, a conservative news site, published numerous stories alleging that Dominion, the voting machine company, engaged in fraudulent activity related to November's election.

Today the site has published a groveling apology letter regarding those allegations, which they admit "are completely false and have no basis in fact."
elengil

Post by elengil »

N.E. Brigand wrote:American Thinker, a conservative news site, published numerous stories alleging that Dominion, the voting machine company, engaged in fraudulent activity related to November's election.

Today the site has published a groveling apology letter regarding those allegations, which they admit "are completely false and have no basis in fact."
And I'll bet ya a dollar that the readers of the site will either say they were forced to say that, or that this is just more evidence of the deep state, or any other excuse rather than accept reality. :nono:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Likely Because they got sued by Dominion.
Disgusting.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Inanna wrote:Likely Because they got sued by Dominion.
Disgusting.
Oh, I have NO doubt of that!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

No, I think it was because they were threatened to be sued by Dominion. To the best of my knowledge, they only one that has actually been sued by Dominion is Sidney Powell.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

The backstory is right above the statement:
American Thinker wrote:We received a lengthy letter from Dominion's defamation lawyers explaining why they believe that their client has been the victim of defamatory statements. Having considered the full import of the letter, we have agreed to their request that we publish the following statement:
It is about as insincere an apology as one could make.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

In what would be a highly improbable sentence in a sane world, the President is currently meeting with the My Pillow guy to discuss invoking the Insurrection Act and martial law "if necessary."

(to clarify: this is what the My Pillow guy wants to talk about, per his photographed notes. No indication here how receptive Trump will be)

https://twitter.com/jabinbotsford/statu ... 0564905985
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Dave_LF wrote:In what would be a highly improbable sentence in a sane world, the President is currently meeting with the My Pillow guy to discuss invoking the Insurrection Act and martial law "if necessary."

(to clarify: this is what the My Pillow guy wants to talk about, no indication here how receptive Trump will be)

https://twitter.com/jabinbotsford/statu ... 0564905985
And apparently the justification for invoking the Insurrection Act and martial law would be that China or Iran has secretly taken over?
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

In at least one charging document, federal prosecutors have described what happened on January 6 as:

"a violent insurrection that attempted to overthrow the United States Government".

To be fair, it would not be unheard of for a prosecutor to overstate the seriousness of an alleged criminal act.

But they've reached the point we were at nine days ago, on the day of the attack, when we were discussing whether or not this was terrorism.

- - - - - - - - - -
This was in documents pertaining to Jacob Chansley, the "QAnon Shaman" with the horned fur hat.

He had also been in D.C. on December 14. He was walking around the grounds of the Capitol carrying a spear that day. Someone reported him to the Capitol Police. The officers told her that someone "higher up" had instructed them that he wasn't a threat, so they let him be.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The DOJ has been yoyoing on these statements. Michael Sherwin, the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, in a press conference with reporters stated that there was currently no direct evidence of efforts to capture or assassinate lawmakers in the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... 9K2FL?il=0

But then a federal prosecutor in Phoenix says a judge can disregard its statements about rioters intent to "capture and assassinate" officials, but says they might be able to prove that at trial. He stands by calling it an insurrection.
https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/13 ... 8461825029
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Out of curiosity, if chanting "hang Mike Pence" while erecting a gallows doesn't count as evidence of intent to kill, then what, short of actually doing it, would?
elengil

Post by elengil »

N.E. Brigand wrote:In at least one charging document, federal prosecutors have described what happened on January 6 as:

"a violent insurrection that attempted to overthrow the United States Government".

To be fair, it would not be unheard of for a prosecutor to overstate the seriousness of an alleged criminal act.
I don't see how that's an overstatement. They wanted to take members of congress hostage and/or execute them. That isn't just wanting to overturn the election, that was wanting to overthrow the government - and install T**** as Supreme Leader.

(I almost want to ask Voronwë to auto-correct the name to asterisks but that might mess up links...)
was a 2020 planner.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:The DOJ has been yoyoing on these statements. Michael Sherwin, the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, in a press conference with reporters stated that there was currently no direct evidence of efforts to capture or assassinate lawmakers in the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... 9K2FL?il=0

But then a federal prosecutor in Phoenix says a judge can disregard its statements about rioters intent to "capture and assassinate" officials, but says they might be able to prove that at trial. He stands by calling it an insurrection.
https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/13 ... 8461825029
And the video elegil posted isn't enough proof? :x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJepAsi ... hannel=CNN
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

The DC police officer who was shown being crushed behind a door is ok and says "If it wasn't my job, I would have done that for free. It was absolutely my pleasure to crush a white nationalist insurrection. I'm glad I was in a position to be able to help, and we'll do it as many times as it takes."

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/loca ... t/2542428/