The Murder of George Floyd and the Response To It

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: The Murder of George Floyd and the Response To It

Post by elengil »

Some good humanity news. This is the *real* way you say 'all lives matter'.

Black protesters protect stranded LMPD officer from violence
https://www.wave3.com/2020/06/01/black- ... -violence/
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Dave, I hope your neighbourhood remains unassaulted. Thank you for responding to my question - I really am concerned for my 'imaginary friends' so far away.
elengil wrote:...But when they targeted the media, the medics, the legal observers, the freakin priests... that's got the broad outrage going. People who would have dismissed it as "they asked for it by being violent" are having to face what is for them a new reality.
You would think, but I suspect not. Marc follows Fox News as a window into the Trump camp, and as far as the Trumpistas are concerned, it all comes down to Antifa agitators and provocateurs - and that includes the rector of St John's who is a sympathiser (water and granola bars were a front).

The divisions are so heavily drawn that there is no crossing the Rubicon.

And you think he'll be voted out? No holds barred propaganda is very effective, and I point you to the shooting, gassing and physical assaults on the media, the 'enemy of the people'. Goebbels' invidious lessons well-learnt.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Impenitent on Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Impenitent wrote:
And you think he'll be voted out?
I'm terrified he won't be, I honestly am terrified that he'll cancel the election and pull some other shadyass shite... But I was more directing my comment towards the "neutrally good" people who honestly just don't understand or see it and have never been educated. I don't excuse their blindness, but I think this can help open their eyes. Those who have deliberately chosen to close their eyes are beyond reach for the most part.

Personally, I am fine. I live pretty rural. The local county seat had a protest march, the police pretty much just ensured their safety from what I could tell. That was nice. There has been violence around the protests in Seattle (both from rioters and from police) but that's far enough away to be essentially inconsequential to my direct life and family.

I am pretty much glued to the various news stories and giving myself a migraine for it. There are too many compilations of police brutality that I can't even finish watching. There are also, thankfully, stories of police departments standing with or even joining the protesters, instead of turning to violence against them.

It is hard to watch this going on in my country, and to my fellow citizens. It is terrifying to watch the police and government response, I want to be hopeful, but really I am just terrified.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Pritzker deploys Illinois National Guard troops to suburbs

You don't particularly need to read the story, but please pause to consider the level of dystopia that headline implies. And then pause a moment longer to consider that that isn't even the half of it.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Lincoln memorial yesterday. I’m told it’s a legit photo but you’d be forgiven for thinking it’s from the latest dystopian YA movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:shock: :( :shock: :(
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Alatar wrote:Image
Lincoln memorial yesterday. I’m told it’s a legit photo but you’d be forgiven for thinking it’s from the latest dystopian YA movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I will tentatively watch how this plays how, honestly this photo is probably the least disturbing to me of any I've seen that weren't outright positive.

Why? Military is *way* more trained and often restrained (irony) than the police. They literally are trained in civilian rights. They aren't dressed in riot gear - no visible weapons drawn, no batons, face shields, body shields, nothing to shoot canisters of teargas or flashbombs, etc.

They are standing more or less easy. They don't look provocative (to my eyes) or threatening.

Again, this may change in an instant, as so many other situations have. But just the picture... that isn't bad to me.

We'll see what happens.
was a 2020 planner.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Follow that with a random quote that just came across my feed
This country was way better prepared to go to war against its citizens then to defend those citizens from a pandemic. Policemen looking like Robocop while we have nurses in homemade masks.
... yes. Yes it was.
was a 2020 planner.

elengil

Post by elengil »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... aYs-HOcldE

To skip to the end, the last paragraph pretty much sums up the whole of the problem here
In theory, the police are supposed to protect the community. When they are whacking the community with sticks, and firing teargas into it, they are more like an armed gang than keepers of the peace. When police show no interest in obeying the constitution or treating protesters with dignity and care, then they should cease to command respect. A police force that runs amok does not deserve to be called “law enforcement”. They are rioters, plain and simple.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

I had to read this three times before I believed that it was true.

Pat Robertson Blasts Trump for Lack of ‘Love’ in Response to Protests
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Good for Pat!

There were a few other people not happy with Trump's performance. The assistant secretary of defense, James Miller, has resigned. Here's some quotes from his letter of resignation:
In his resignation letter to Esper, which was obtained by The Washington Post, James Miller Jr., who served as the US undersecretary of defense for policy from 2012 to 2014, recalled that he swore an oath of office to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States" and "to bear true faith and allegiance to the same," similar to what the defense secretary had done before he took office.

"You may not have been able to stop President Trump from directing this appalling use of force, but you could have chosen to oppose it. Instead, you visibly supported it. You must have thought long and hard about where that line should be drawn. I must now ask: If last night's blatant violations do not cross the line for you, what will?

Unfortunately, it appears there may be few if any lines that President Trump is not willing to cross, so you will probably be faced with this terrible question again in the coming days. You may be asked to take, or to direct the men and women serving in the US military to take, actions that further undermine the Constitution and harm Americans.

I wish you the best, in very difficult times. The sanctity of the US Constitution, and the lives of Americans, may depend on your choices."
And maybe Miller's words hit home with Esper:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bu ... Mj2IAhvj7s
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, Sunny. I had not heard of Miller's resignation, but I had heard of Esper's statement somewhat bucking Trump.

Meanwhile, a charge of second degree murder has been added to the charges against Chauvin, and the other officers involved in George Floyd's murder have each been charged with aiding and abetting second degree murder. All four face maximum charges of 40 years in prison.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/us/georg ... index.html
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

elengil wrote:While I will tentatively watch how this plays how, honestly this photo is probably the least disturbing to me of any I've seen that weren't outright positive.

Why? Military is *way* more trained and often restrained (irony) than the police. They literally are trained in civilian rights. They aren't dressed in riot gear - no visible weapons drawn, no batons, face shields, body shields, nothing to shoot canisters of teargas or flashbombs, etc.

They are standing more or less easy. They don't look provocative (to my eyes) or threatening.

Again, this may change in an instant, as so many other situations have. But just the picture... that isn't bad to me.

We'll see what happens.
This is an interesting point, but it's true. Soldiers, for example, are trained only to raise a weapon at someone if they're actually going to shoot them. Police, on the other hand, often seem to enter confrontational situations with firearms raised.

ETA: I still agree with Al's point though that it makes for a dystopian spectacle nonetheless.
Last edited by Túrin Turambar on Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

Former Defense Secretary James Mattis, who mostly has been quiet since being forced to resign as a result of his disagreement with Trump policies, has come out with a blistering statement condemning the president.
"Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us," Mattis said.
"We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/politics ... index.html

I've never in my lifetime seen a former cabinet officer make that kind of statement about the president that he or she served.
elengil

Post by elengil »

So much of me is screaming that all this sudden speaking out is TOO. F-ING. LATE! They had ample opportunity before we got to this point!
was a 2020 planner.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Do you think there is any conservative figure with enough clout in the conservative voter base that they could actually have some influence amongst Trump's support base? Maybe if somebody like Rush Limbaugh or Sean hannity condemned Trump's actions, it might actually have some tiny little bit of an impact? Probably not....
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

A) they wouldn't. B) it probably wouldn't matter if they did.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

So far, every time a conservative figure has criticised Trump (e.g. Ben Shapiro, Ted Cruz), his base has taken Trump's side. I don't think this would change.
elengil

Post by elengil »

To Trump's base, Trump is god. No matter who turns on him, they will take Trump's side.

To the rest of America, the possibly swayable-by-reality America, the previously-undecided America, it may yet make a difference, and it may yet convince enough people to vote him out. And that's what we need to remember. This isn't about converting or convincing Trump's base - it's about getting everyone else on the same page.
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Túrin, has it made news in Australia that an Australian news team was attacked by DC police?
My heart is forever in the Shire.