2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Apparently, the Iowa Democratic caucus results are being delayed by some kind of reporting problem, so there are no results as of yet.

ETA: Here is the Iowa Democratic Party's statement about the situation.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
ETA: Here is the Iowa Democratic Party's statement about the situation.
Psst... you forgot something...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I have sympathy for Iowans. In 2016, the CO Democratic Caucus was a mad-house. I didn't go because I remembered the 2008 caucus and decided I just didn't have the time or energy. The CO GOP didn't even have a caucus. They just went straight to convention for reasons I'm not entirely clear on but I suspect had something to do with depriving Trump of delegates. Or they feared an even bigger mad-house. Following that, there was a serious discussion about going to primaries. The disadvantage to a primary is the state's election infrastructure has to be used and so the state has to bear the costs. Caucuses are strictly party business. However, caucuses can also turn into a total circus and the population of Colorado is expanding rapidly. So we had a referendum on going to primaries and that's why, instead of a caucus, Colorado will have a primary on Super Tuesday. Iowa might want to consider that, though if they hold their primary on hte same day as they would typically caucus New Hampshire's going to get mad.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I must say, the ongoing media tantrum about the lack of Iowa results is getting tiresome. It's one state. There's 49 more to go. I'm sure the state Democratic parties in the other 49 are taking notes so this doesn't happen to them. Meanwhile, in Iowa, the paper trail is being followed to the victor. I'm sure it's very frustrating for the campaigns, but the results will be announced sooner or later and New Hampshire's primary is also happening this week.
Voronwë the Faithful

The whole thing just shows how ridiculous and outmoded the whole nominating process is. Caucuses need to be done away with altogether. Ideally, there would be one date in which each state holds its primary, though it is unlikely that will happen any time in the near future.

Meanwhile the Iowa Democratic Party announced that it will announce "the majority" of the results at 5:00 p.m. EST. Asked what that means, they said "more than 50%". At this point, all that will do is add to the confusion, since it is unlikely that "more than 50%" of the results (but presumably not that much more, or they would say so) is going to be indicative of the full results. Of course, both Buttigieg and Sanders have already claimed victory (and Warren and Klobuchar announced that they did "better than expected") without any results at all, so we might as well add to the fun.

I agree, River, that the whole thing is really just a blip on the radar, but it is indicative of how screwed up the whole system is. The most ridiculous thing are the claims at CNN and elsewhere that the chaos someone "creates an opening for Trump". WTF? It is irrelevant to Trump. Somewhat more reasonable is the argument that Bloomberg benefits for the chaos, since there is one less chance for someone else to establish firm momentum going forward (since he is not competing in Iowa). But I still feel that my hats are safe from culinary attacks.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Republicans are going to claim that Democrats "rigged" the election no matter what actually happens. Already claiming in fact. This, while massive voter roll purges are on the way in, e.g., Wisconsin, where Trump's margin of victory was razor thin.

I do not appreciate Democratic candidates throwing a tantrum while the work is underway from a very sensible paper backup process.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Meanwhile, multiple state GOPs are refusing to print primary ballots that include Trump's challengers. Who exactly is doing the rigging?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:The whole thing just shows how ridiculous and outmoded the whole nominating process is. Caucuses need to be done away with altogether.
I'm kinda baffled that they're still around at all, or that anyone in 2020 would think that it's a idea. I guess some people are just really resistant to change.
(See also: the electoral college.)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

What a clusterfuck!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Honestly, I still don't even understand what the heck a caucus even is.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

elengil, I would tell you, but then I would have to kill you! (Actually, I honestly don't think that I could coherently explain it.)

They have no released 62% of the precincts, and Buttigieg is in fact in the lead, with 26.9% of the vote, followed by Sanders with 25.1%, Warren with 18.3, and Biden lagging behind with 15.6%, not far ahead of Klobuchar with 12.6%. Nobody else has more than 1.1%.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:elengil, I would tell you, but then I would have to kill you!.
It would be a mercy killing :rofl:
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

As an indication of how ridiculous the caucus process is, while Buttigieg has a slight lead over Sanders in the current delegate count, Sanders actually is leading in the popular vote. Assuming that holds to the final results we can only imagine what kind of complaining that will lead to.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Meanwhile, Warren's campaign.

Another reason she's my first choice.
Our campaign collected photos and other raw documentation of the results at hundreds of caucus locations as part of our internal reporting process. Today we will provide what we have to the Iowa Democratic Party to help ensure the integrity of their process.
https://twitter.com/RogerLau/status/122 ... 01729?s=19
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Can I vote for this woman? (the one on the left, in case that isn't clear)

https://twitter.com/annabelpark/status/ ... ng-hes-gay
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Wow. That was impressive. I so wish we could see more of that kind of discussion between differing views. I would genuinely love to talk to that woman on the right.
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

What would you say?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

First thing is I want to genuinely hear from her why she feels this is relevant to who we choose for president. Hopefully we could actually talk about that in a calm, patient manner. I'm usually pretty good at being able to do that which is why I was disappointed in myself when I lost my temper at a that one Trump supporter recently.
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Forgive my cynicism, but I doubt that you would receive a reasonable answer from her. But I have great confidence that you would nonetheless be able to talk about it with her in a calm reasonable manner (far more confidence than I would have in myself).