2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by elengil »

River wrote:Actually when you steal ballots it's called election fraud.
Correct, I should have left off 'voter' (and meant to)
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It's not clear to me that the state GOP's goal is to steal ballots. From what I have seen (admittedly I have not spent a lot of time looking) the location the bogus 'official' ballot boxes have placed are places that GOP voters are more likely to vote than Democratic voters.

Unofficial ballot boxes discovered at Calif. gun shops, churches, Republican offices

So are they trying to steal ballots, are just trying to make it easier for their people to vote?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Some of the boxes had signs with the words 'Authorized', 'Secure', and 'Official' but they are not. Some of the sites (churches) said they presumed the boxes were placed there by the state and were non-partisan. https://abc30.com/ballot-boxes-fake-cal ... l/6970956/

* The are encouraging people to check their MyVote to make sure their ballot has been received/counted. Understandably so.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Should probably also encourage people to look up *official* drop box locations and use those.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

We're fortunate that our town hall has a drop slot which goes right into the building and it's not far away.

I hate the constant chaos and misinformation. Enough already.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

River wrote:I'm not sure what the CA GOP hopes to achieve. If you have to steal ballots you've pretty much conceded that you're losing the argument.
They have. They've been saying for a long time that if people vote, they will lose. They are going all out with vote suppression because they know they can get away with it.

They have also openly said that they do not want a democracy, they want liberty*.

* For a subset of people of a correct color, sex, and religious belief.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

But again, this effort does not seem to be one of voter suppression, but rather, of voter encouragement.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Ensuring that potential Democrat voters have to stand in line for 11 hours is not very encouraging.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

How is the CA GOP fake official drop boxes making Democratic voters stand in line for 11 hours?

I stood in line for exactly 11 hours less than 11 hours to vote on Sunday, when I dropped my ballot in a real official drop box.

(And yes, I know that in Georgia and elsewhere, voters have been standing in line, but that has nothing to do with the quote of River's that you were responding to.)
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

River wrote:If you have to steal ballots you've pretty much conceded that you're losing the argument.
Losing the argument doesn't matter as long as you still win the election.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:But again, this effort does not seem to be one of voter suppression, but rather, of voter encouragement.
That depends on where the ballots in the boxes falsely marked as official end up going and on whether or not they'll be accepted if/when they get to the ballot processing center.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

As the article above says, churches, gun shops and Republican offices.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:As the article above says, churches, gun shops and Republican offices.

Not where the boxes were put, where the ballots *in* them end up.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

If those ballots were not accepted it would hurt, not help, the GOP.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:If those ballots were not accepted it would hurt, not help, the GOP.

Which begs the question again: what are they trying to achieve?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

Defeat Katie Porter

elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:If those ballots were not accepted it would hurt, not help, the GOP.

I think you are missing the point - once you hand a ballot over to someone *non-official* how can you be sure where it will end up? Just because someone goes into a gun store, or goes to church, absolutely does not mean they are voting for a particular party.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

In California, once a ballot is sealed there is no way to tell who's ballot it is. So there would be no way for them to sift out the few Democratic ballot and if they don't turn in all of the ballots it will hurt them not the Democrats. The only reason they are doing this is to increase the number of Republican ballots that they can turn in.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

California GOP considers adding more disputed ballot boxes
https://apnews.com/article/xavier-becer ... 6157bee7f9
The state GOP rolled out its boxes in conjunction with the start of early voting last week. Barajas wouldn’t divulge how many were deployed or specify locations, other than to say they were at party and candidates’ offices, churches and gun shops in three congressional districts — one in the Central Valley, another north of Los Angeles and a third in Orange County. All three districts saw Democrats defeat Republican incumbents in 2018.
(...)
Levinson said she worries the real strategy is for Republicans to create such a stir that it causes voters to doubt the legitimacy of all ballot drop boxes, possibly discouraging them from voting.

“I just really worry that voters will be left thinking, ‘I just don’t want to take part in the process, it’s just too hard,’” she said. “It’s effective just to create chaos and confusion."
As noted earlier, not all of the places the drop boxes were placed were aware that the boxes were not official non-partisan boxes.
Voronwë the Faithful

Basically, the Republican Party in California is trying to remain relevant on some level, and the best way for them to do that is try to take back some of the congressional seats that they lost in conservative areas in 2018, including Katie Porters. They are considering this to be a form of ballot harvesting, which is legal in California. Listening to the party spokesman trying to justify this was amusing, but sad. He did admit that they were wrong to label them as "official" and claims that they will be removing those labels.