2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Maria
Hobbit

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Maria »

I just watched a video about a guy 109 years old who is still driving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXyfCGDnuWs
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yes, and my grandmother was perfectly sharp at 105. And I'm sure there are some amazing 33 year olds out there.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

That was a real thoughtful and contemplative little biopic.
Thanks for posting Maria.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Looks like Burnie is running again.

https://berniesanders.com/?nosplash=true
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Oy vay! (meant at least partially fondly)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Here's a 1981 interview with the newly-elected Mayor of Burlington, VT. You certainly can't accuse Senator Sanders of inconsistency:

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Wow, replace the word mayor with senator and that interview could practically have happened today! Including his rejection of combs! :D
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

If I were the president of the largest bank in Burlington I'd be real nervous about you...
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

yovargas wrote:Wow, replace the word mayor with senator and that interview could practically have happened today! Including his rejection of combs! :D
He just needs to replace "Reagan" with "Trump" and he could give the same answers word-for-word.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

So, anyone here getting behind Andrew Yang? His campaign is getting a bit of a momentum, particularly based on his pitch for universal basic income, although he obviously has an uphill battle in a crowded field.
Voronwë the Faithful

With all due respect, saying Andrew Yang's campaign is getting a little momentum is like saying that eating bugs is getting popular in the U.S. There are a few people who really like eating bugs, but … .
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

I'm glad that Yang is bringing more mainstream attention to the topic of UBI, but his views are a mess of techbro #disruption culture and would in many cases be dangerous if they were achievable at all.

https://medium.com/@_JeremiahJohnson/an ... be61bfd0e4

He makes plenty of valid observations--for example, the negative consequences of NIMBYism--but this proposed solutions are ... not what I would go with. Like creating a new branch of the military, not subject to Congressional oversight, which can ignore laws at the sole discretion of its commanding officer.

https://www.yang2020.com/policies/recha ... -spending/
Rechannel 10% of the military budget – approximately $60 billion per year – to a new domestic infrastructure force called the Legion of Builders and Destroyers. The Legion would be tasked with keeping our country strong by making sure our bridges, roads, power grid, levies, dams, and infrastructure are up-to-date, sound and secure. It would also be able to clear derelict buildings and structures that cause urban blight in many of our communities and respond to natural disasters. The Legion would prioritize projects based on national security, economic impact, and regional equity. Its independent budget would ensure that our infrastructure would be constantly upgraded regardless of the political climate. The Commander of the Legion would have the ability to overrule local regulations and ordinances to ensure that projects are started and completed promptly and effectively.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Eldy wrote:Like creating a new branch of the military, not subject to Congressional oversight, which can ignore laws at the sole discretion of its commanding officer.

https://www.yang2020.com/policies/recha ... -spending/
The Commander of the Legion would have the ability to overrule local regulations and ordinances[/b] to ensure that projects are started and completed promptly and effectively.
Yikes! :poke:

I can see the flood of eminent domain and EPA claims now... :nono:

Oversight should never, ever be removed for any government program.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:With all due respect, saying Andrew Yang's campaign is getting a little momentum is like saying that eating bugs is getting popular in the U.S. There are a few people who really like eating bugs, but … .
Well, I did say a little momentum :D
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I just read an amusing article about the press dumping O'Rourke for Buttigieg. I am happy about this; I thought O'Rourke was a poseur with empty words and he had a very pro-Republican, big money history.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Which is your favorite B? Booker, Bernie, Biden, Beto, or Buttigieg? It's an alliteration-off!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Walker. Sorry, no B for me. (Though obviously I would vote for any of them if they got the Dem nod.)
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Did you possibly mean Warren? I can't find a Walker on the list.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Voronwë the Faithful

Harris. It was a typo :roll:

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Or Scott Walker =:)