2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It does appear that rumors of Sanders' demise were premature. He seems to have bounced back from his heart attack with a vengeance. He had his strongest performance yet at the last debate, and a major rally with the very popular (among progressives) AOC at his side. It remains to be seen whether that will last.

x-posted with yov. More surprising to me is that his latest rise has coincided with the constant news about his son's work for foreign companies. While it seems clear to me that neither Hunter nor Joe Biden have done anything illegal, I'm surprised that the constant attacks haven't damaged him more. Instead, it seems to have invigorated his campaign (much like Sander's heart attack seems to have invigorated his, contrary to expectations).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:It does appear that rumors of Sanders' demise were premature.
I thought he looked so much better physically in the last debate than he had been looking recently. He must have really benefited from that few days rest. I still think that campaigning for the Presidency and being President are not sensible occupations for someone looking to reduce stress (which I assume all heart attack survivors would want to do) but maybe I have an out-dated understanding of heart attacks.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:It does appear that rumors of Sanders' demise were premature.
Is it wrong that I read that as Sauron on first glance? No reflection on Mr Sanders, just a recognition of the speaker and board! :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Meanwhile, the Quinnipiac University National Poll shows a very different picture.

Warren opens up 7-point lead over Biden nationally: poll
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I'm with Túrin, following individual poll results is a futile exercise. Too much noise to follow the race that way.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

I don't disagree, though I find the differences in different polls to be interesting and educational. Nate Silver has shown us the value of looking at polling averages, but also the limitations of doing so (though to be fair, he was at least more cautious in his predictions of Clinton prevailing over Trump than others were).
Voronwë the Faithful

Gabbard stokes fears among Democrats

I thought exactly this when I heard she was not running for reelection.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

[semi-random pondering]

I wonder how news organizations covered political races before polling became a regular thing that they covered.

[/semi-random pondering]
-The Decemberists

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

yovargas wrote:[semi-random pondering]

I wonder how news organizations covered political races before polling became a regular thing that they covered.

[/semi-random pondering]
There was far more reporting on where the candidates were, what they said, and how the audience reacted, including verbatim accounts of their speeches. Particularly before radio and TV, when a candidate traveling somewhere to give a speech was a major event. E.g.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn ... d-1/seq-2/
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Hah. That was pretty fun to read. Turns out it wasn't especially substantive either. Rather long article that mostly amounts to "Roosevelt came here and lots of people went to see him speak for a few minutes." Though can't say that biased reporting has gotten worse when they were printing stuff like this!
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (23.94 KiB) Viewed 5110 times

(Also, make sure to keep your babies fat. A fat baby is a good baby.)
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (56.38 KiB) Viewed 5107 times
-The Decemberists

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

yovargas wrote:Hah. That was pretty fun to read. Turns out it wasn't especially substantive either. Rather long article that mostly amounts to "Roosevelt came here and lots of people went to see him speak for a few minutes." Though can't say that biased reporting has gotten worse when they were printing stuff like this!
Capture.JPG
Yes, there's a tendency to idealise the past as the time of 'sensible' and substantative politics which isn't always warranted.

A couple of other major differences from today:

There was no nation-wide media, so you got all your news from local papers, carrying whatever editorial line the editor took. Today, if a candidate gives a major speech in LA it gets immediately reported everywhere else, e.g. in Boston. Back then the Boston paper would still probably lead with Boston news.

There were few contested primaries prior to the 1970s, so the campaign only really began in convention season in June.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

"Beto drops out, nobody seems to care"

My headline for my imaginary newspaper.
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:"Beto drops out, nobody seems to care"

My headline for my imaginary newspaper.
Thanks for the laugh.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Lol!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Túrin Turambar wrote:
Yes, there's a tendency to idealise the past as the time of 'sensible' and substantative politics which isn't always warranted.

There was no nation-wide media, so you got all your news from local papers, carrying whatever editorial line the editor took. Today, if a candidate gives a major speech in LA it gets immediately reported everywhere else, e.g. in Boston. Back then the Boston paper would still probably lead with Boston news.

There were few contested primaries prior to the 1970s, so the campaign only really began in convention season in June.
There also might be the sense that news was expected to give the news, not opinions (as much). There also was, as you said, pretty much only local news, so they didn't have the competition for attention. They didn't 'need' to become entertainment stations to keep people's business. Now there are so many news organizations all vying for your viewership/readership that they artificially keep attention through sensationalizing and even downright fabricating.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

elengil wrote:
Túrin Turambar wrote:

There also might be the sense that news was expected to give the news, not opinions (as much). There also was, as you said, pretty much only local news, so they didn't have the competition for attention. They didn't 'need' to become entertainment stations to keep people's business. Now there are so many news organizations all vying for your viewership/readership that they artificially keep attention through sensationalizing and even downright fabricating.
Although as yov points out from the article upthread, there was a lot of "it is undeniable that..." followed by opinion disguised as fact and column-filling inches back then as well.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Túrin Turambar wrote:
Although as yov points out from the article upthread, there was a lot of "it is undeniable that..." followed by opinion disguised as fact and column-filling inches back then as well.
True, that's why I did qualify it with "as much". Though oddly there didn't seem to be constant accusations of misinformation in media. Though admittedly, that could be as much because there were no other sources to fact check it against, too.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

And as most of you from the U.S. SHOULD know, even 'back then', the newspapers didn't always get it right!

This certainly had to be one of the most embarrassing moments in journalism history, but it also shows the Trib was certainly not neutral in its reporting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewey_Defeats_Truman
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Bloomberg had said previously that he wouldn't get in unless Biden dropped out.

I have trouble seeing Democratic voters rallying around a formerly Republican billionaire. I wonder if he would instantly become the media and establishment favorite.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.