2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Even though Sanders has twice now run for the Democratic nomination for president, he refuses to become a Democrat, and unlike Elizabeth Warren has generally declined to work with the DNC to support other Democrats. He didn't use his leftover funds to help other candidates in 2016 and I don't expect him to do so this time.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I wonder why he doesn't run as a 3rd party candidate. I think it would be good for us to have more than 2 parties.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Have cake,
Eat it too.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

RoseMorninStar wrote:I wonder why he doesn't run as a 3rd party candidate.
It would pretty much guarantee a second Trump term.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Out of curiosity, did anyone watch last night's debate?
(I did not.)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I wasn't able to watch, so I'd love to hear the impressions of those who did.

The several articles I read this morning all agreed that Warren was the main target of the other candidates, and that Buttigieg and Klobuchar were more aggressive in attacking her policies than in previous appearances (this was presented as a positive for them).

One of the articles said Biden stumbled through his responses and was not in the forefront of the debate. The same article noted that he only has $9 million on hand, which is lower than Sanders, Warren, Buttigieg and Harris. That seems like a bad sign for him, since he started out as the favorite of corporate donors.

I was most interested in hearing how Biden did. I'm curious about where the conservative side of the party will turn if Biden falters, and how bad his performances (referring to debates and campaign appearances) will have to get before they let go of the idea that he is the preferred candidate. If Klobuchar were registering more with voters, maybe she could be the one to take Biden's place with the donors who have said they will not support Warren.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

This CNBC article says that former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg (77) might get into the race if Biden drops out before voting begins. I don't know much about Bloomberg, his popularity, how he would match up against Trump or what sort of splash he might make in the Democratic pool.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/14/bloombe ... arren.html
Voronwë the Faithful

I saw that too. But Bloomberg has been threatening to run for president off an on pretty much since he left office as New York Mayor (after manipulating the rules to allow him to run for an extra term) in 2013. He is the 12th richest man in the U.S. I am very confident that he is not what the Democratic electorate is looking for right now. Of course he could stir the pot by running as an independent, but I haven't heard any indication that he has any intention of doing so, and I'm sure that he is smart enough to know that would be a good way to ensure Trump wins reelection, and by all accounts he does not want that to happen.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Yes, I feel fairly sure that there is no known potential candidate obtuse enough to run as a 3rd party candidate this time around.
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, Howard Schultz was making noise like he was obtuse enough. I suspect he backed off more because it was becoming apparent that no one wanted to vote for him than because he came to his senses.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

538 wrote:While the September debate — the first one-night event — was watched by about 15.3 million viewers, preliminary ratings indicate that this debate drew just over half of that, a mere 8.3 million people.
Hard to argue these debates matter if nobody is really tuning in.
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

I wonder why it went down so much from September to October? Is it because the impeachment inquiry? Is it because there were 12 candidates this time, instead of 10? Hmmmm?

I have to admit, I haven't watched any of the debates so far. I just can't bring myself to do so. Maybe once the field gets whittled down to a reasonable number, although even then, I don't really see much point. I know who I plan to vote for in the California primary, and I will certainly be voting for the eventual Democratic nominee in the general election.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:Hard to argue these debates matter if nobody is really tuning in.
Because people will read a condensed version of the highlights in the news - or listen to it anyway - and come away with whatever interpretation they were 'meant' to based on the way the soundbites were clipped or the headlines were worded...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I wish the media stopped covering debates in terms of "winners" and "losers" and started covering objective differences in policy proposals. Then we might actually *hear* some policy proposals.

I caught about 10 minutes of Buttigieg vs. Gabbard on NPR, which made me very happy that Gabbard doesn't appear to have a chance.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I would guess curiosity about the candidates was somewhat of a factor in the larger viewership of the first debate, but now people know what they're like and their position on the spectrum, so the motivation to endure the tedium involved is lessened. Maybe when the number of candidates is fewer and the answers thus bound to be more substantive, people will become interested again.

edit: grammar
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Cerin wrote:I would guess curiosity about the candidates was somewhat of a factor in the larger viewership of the first debate, but now people know what they're like and their position on the spectrum, so the motivation to endure the tedium involved is lessened. Maybe when the number of candidates is fewer and the answers thus bound to be more substantive, people will become interested again.

edit: grammar
Yes, that sounds reasonable.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thank God!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Didn't see this coming.

CNN Poll: Biden's lead in Democratic primary hits widest margin since April
It's still only a single poll and until we have a few more there's good reason to think it's an outlier. I prefer to follow polling averages rather than single polls to see if there's a trend.

(It is good to have outliers, though, as they suggest the polling companies aren't 'herding' and are publishing whatever data they get - statistically you'd expect variation)

That said, based on the poll aggregators, Warren has peaked and Sanders is starting to climb again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationwid ... al_polling
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I've been a bit surprised that Biden's many little gaffes seem to have had very little impact on his support. They're mostly small things but it feels like he comes off looking foolish too damn often and that would be a major liability when he's put under the closer scrutiny of the general election.
-The Decemberists