2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

If I thought that Biden or any other candidate genuinely threatened someone, yes I would think that she or he should be criticized for it, but that is so obviously not what happened here.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Obviously, it is not that obvious, and I would appreciate you stop saying that, like if I didn't hear what I heard.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

It is obvious to me. That's the last I will say about it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Would one of you please post a link to the video?
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

I said I wouldn't say anything further, but since you asked and yov hasn't responded yet, here is the video on YouTube:

The part in question is at about 50 seconds in.

And now I really won't say anything further.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Around the :50 mark where they get into it, somewhere between the AR14 stuff and "not working for you"? I honestly can't hear anything they're saying through the noise and the one guy talking over them. Nothing. I just hear noise, not words. I hear something like "Don't tell me to ... (calm down??)" then nothing until he says "I'm not working for you, give me a break, man."

This might be a case of hearing what you were 'told' was there. I don't mean you didn't really hear it, but our senses are perfectly capable of tricking us. Just like optical illusions and seeing things that aren't there because our brains want the pattern to exist - you still saw it, your brain did see it, but it wasn't there.

I don't hear anything. Doesn't mean it isn't there... but I don't hear anything that's even close.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

There's a bunch of videos and most of them are super hard to make out. The clearest one is the one Colbert showed here starting at 2:25 (I've looked for the full clip of this one but can't find it):

I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Is this really that important?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

I found these comments by the 30-year-old Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to be quite wise:
But Mr. Sanders’s highest-profile surrogate, Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, said she understood Ms. Warren’s hesitation, and suggested it was a teachable moment for the left.

“I always want to see us come together as a progressive wing,” Ms. Ocasio-Cortez said. “I think that’s important and where we draw strength from. But at the same time, I come from the lens of an organizer, and if someone doesn’t do what you want, you don’t blame them — you ask why. And you don’t demand that answer of that person — you reflect. And that reflection is where you can grow.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/us/p ... nders.html

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
elengil

Post by elengil »

I don't agree with the captioning, then. I hear "I'm going to go outside [something]" - not 'going to slap' Now, he might have said "I'm going to go outside with you" as in... meet me outside we'll settle this, but still not hearing 'slap' or anything that would make 'slap' make sense in its context.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I am doubtful that Sanders will drop out until Biden clinches an actual majority of delegates. No matter how much damage that does.
I've changed my mind about this. I think after he takes a shellacking next Tuesday in Florida, Illinois, Ohio and Arizona, he will rethink staying in the campaign. I now can't imagine that he will last through to the end of the month.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

How in the world can "shellacing" be considered a bad thing? :scratch:
elengil

Post by elengil »

Maria wrote:How in the world can "shellacing" be considered a bad thing? :scratch:
It's an idiom, to "take a shellacking" is basically getting your behind handed to you.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/take-a-shellacking
was a 2020 planner.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Yeah, but how do you get from applying a protective coating on something to having a big defeat? Usually idioms are a bit more clear where they come from.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Maria wrote:Yeah, but how do you get from applying a protective coating on something to having a big defeat? Usually idioms are a bit more clear where they come from.
Are they? LOL I don't always find that to be the case. But in this case I'd be inclined to believe it had something to do with rhyming slang maybe? "whacking/shellacking"? I mean, how does "clean someone's clock" mean to beat them, either??

I found this article but didn't read the whole way through
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-11692885
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

'Lac' (as in Lacquer, Shellac is rooted in a resinous secretion by a bug and used for shellac. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac

We primary so late (April 7) we don't really have a say at all.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

I suppose it is possible that Biden will have such a bad performance at the debate on Sunday that the contest will be reset yet again, and your primary will have significance.

But I wouldn't count on it!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I am hoping for anything better than what we currently have. Sadly, it wouldn't take much.. not much at all, to pass that criteria.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

How Shellacking Came to Mean Defeat: https://www.npr.org/templates/story/sto ... =131075640

Perhaps it has the same roots as "polished off".
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
elengil

Post by elengil »

narya wrote:How Shellacking Came to Mean Defeat: https://www.npr.org/templates/story/sto ... =131075640

Perhaps it has the same roots as "polished off".
I mean... polished off kind of makes sense if you think about it - you've finished every last scrap and even licked the plate clean, you could be said to have "polished" your plate, so clean it shines, etc...
was a 2020 planner.